Need Gym Tips - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need Gym Tips

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:02 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I think I am going to get a set of dumbbells and try to attack it that way. What pound range should I get? Thanks for all of the tips guys, I will defientily refer back to this when I'm working out ;-D

I've never bought weights before or anything, I just use the gym, so I can't tell you exactly what to buy from any experiences. But I would make sure it gets up to at least 40-45 pounds, because even though you won't be using those right off the bat (assuming you aren't incredibly naturally strong or something), I think eventually you can build up to that. For what its worth, I use dumbbells for shoulder/military press, triceps (skull crushers), back (lawn mowers), and biceps (which I hate, biceps are all for show). I would suggest trying out some stuff in the gym in addition to using your dumbells, maybe get someone to show you how to do bench press or squats? Squats I would imagine would really help your swing, especially when it comes to power. But I've never played golf so I'm not really an expert.

those are some good core lifts, but im thinking 40-45 pounds is a bit heavy for a 16 year old guy not wanting to get jacked and who isnt already lifting. the only thing i would suggest doing at that weight out of the gate might be flat bench and leg work (possibly some back). i dont even work out my bis with that much weight and ive been doing it for years, and im trying to get jacked. i agree with most everything you said, i just think the weight may be a little high. i was thinking around 30 pounders.

if i could reccomend three weights, id say 15lbs, 30lb and 40-45 lbs....but if i had to choose one id roll with 30lbs.

you will need some lighter ones for shoulder work such as lateral front raises, side raises. medium weight for bis, and tris and heavier weight for chest, back and even some legs.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:57 pm

I would suggest some of these in like a 30 lb. 20 lb. and 10 lb. if you ahve the money. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby confused_jake » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:18 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I think I am going to get a set of dumbbells and try to attack it that way. What pound range should I get? Thanks for all of the tips guys, I will defientily refer back to this when I'm working out ;-D

I've never bought weights before or anything, I just use the gym, so I can't tell you exactly what to buy from any experiences. But I would make sure it gets up to at least 40-45 pounds, because even though you won't be using those right off the bat (assuming you aren't incredibly naturally strong or something), I think eventually you can build up to that. For what its worth, I use dumbbells for shoulder/military press, triceps (skull crushers), back (lawn mowers), and biceps (which I hate, biceps are all for show). I would suggest trying out some stuff in the gym in addition to using your dumbells, maybe get someone to show you how to do bench press or squats? Squats I would imagine would really help your swing, especially when it comes to power. But I've never played golf so I'm not really an expert.

what are lawn mowers? are they like rows?

haha this topic reminds me how much i need to get back in the gym. i have a weight lifting class but its spring break so i havent worked out since friday.

anyway. i agree with what the other posters have said, someone else(i think it was onnestabe) said about using slow movements and focusing on form and thats the point i was going to stress. i dont know any of the scientific stuff, but i know negative resistance(like lowering the bar when your doing bench press) contributes a lot to getting stronger.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:33 pm

confused_jake wrote:what are lawn mowers? are they like rows?

lawn mowers are a back excercise similiar to a row.

there are various ways to do it but it basiclaly involves bending over with one arm hanging straight holding a dumbell, then raising that arm up to your armpit area using your back to pull it up. if you did the motion quickly, it looks like you are pull-starting a lawn mower, so thats where its name comes from. ive also heard them called lumberjacks.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:37 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
confused_jake wrote:what are lawn mowers? are they like rows?

lawn mowers are a back excercise similiar to a row.

there are various ways to do it but it basiclaly involves bending over with one arm hanging straight holding a dumbell, then raising that arm up to your armpit area using your back to pull it up. if you did the motion quickly, it looks like you are pull-starting a lawn mower, so thats where its name comes from. ive also heard them called lumberjacks.

Nice. I never knew what that exercise was called, but it will make your tricep, and deltoids sore. 8-o :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Need Gym Tips

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:22 pm

sox 06 wrote:I'm going to start going to the gym because I need to get stronger for golf. I don't want to get jacked and I don't need to lose any weight. I just need to get overall stronger for golf. I've never been to the gym so what should first, how often should I go, how long do I go for? Any tips would be good. Note: I'm 16 years old and in pretty good shape if that helps at all.

I play golf at Duke, so I have a pretty extensive knowledge of golf workouts and such.

We do yoga 2 times a week for flexibility, and it has helped me dramatically. We lift with a personal trainer 2 times a week, working the entire body, with emphasis on abs and legs. I'll try and hook you up with an example of one of our workouts, but I'd recommend (I don't know how much money you want to put into this) finding a personal training place that specializes in athletes and can help you work on golf related muscles (core and back and legs).
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Previous

Return to General Talk