Steelers 3-4 or 4-3? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steelers 3-4 or 4-3?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steelers 3-4 or 4-3?

Postby TommyZND » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:51 pm

Its been minorly brought up in other forums. Tomlin kept Dick LeBeau but do you think he will change the defense? LeBeau knows what hes doing but i think over time Tomlin will make the transition to the 4-3
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:31 pm

My guess, and that's all it is, is that they will be in the 3-4 for a couple years. Lebeau was probably kept on for his experience and knowledge in defense. I think they will start gathering personel to run a 4-3, but since their players are geared to the 3-4, they'll be in that for a few years. Evetually, they'll make the switch.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:07 am

I wouldn't be too surprised to see some sort of hybrid, meant to confuse the crap out of the rest of the league. If the Steelers do eventually move to a 4-3, then I suppose the other 3-4 teams will be happy. One less team that will poach undersized college DE pass rushers that 3-4 teams are in high demand of.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:26 am

Munboy wrote:My guess, and that's all it is, is that they will be in the 3-4 for a couple years. Lebeau was probably kept on for his experience and knowledge in defense. I think they will start gathering personel to run a 4-3, but since their players are geared to the 3-4, they'll be in that for a few years. Evetually, they'll make the switch.

I agree. Lebeau may still be there, but he's almost 70 years old. He's gonna retire eventually, then Tomlin can bring in a coordinator to run a full-time 4-3.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby TommyZND » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:38 am

beanoX3 wrote:One less team that will poach undersized college DE pass rushers that 3-4 teams are in high demand of.

The Steelers arent after undersized DE's, Aaron Smith(298) and Brett Kiesel(285) are far from being a small DE's.
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:42 am

does any team do a 3-4 cover 2? Is it even possible?
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:48 am

TommyZND wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:One less team that will poach undersized college DE pass rushers that 3-4 teams are in high demand of.

The Steelers arent after undersized DE's, Aaron Smith(298) and Brett Kiesel(285) are far from being a small DE's.

I was speaking of undersized college DEs that 3-4 defense NFL teams convert into pass rushing LBs.

Sorry for being unspecific. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Munboy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:53 am

TommyZND wrote:

I think he means undersized DEs that they convert to OLBs.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TommyZND » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:11 am

Nah thats my bad. Your right, in some mock draft's I've seen they draft Jarvis Moss.
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kilroy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:04 am

So long as Lebeau's there it's gonna the same 3-4 zone blitz schemes that the guy invented. Dick Lebeau revolutionized the way the 3-4 is played, and the Steelers are built defensively to play that scheme. Regardless of what defense Tomlin prefers, if he has any sense, you don't fix what's not broken.

If the Steelers don't want Lebeau around anymore I'd be giddy if he moved 50 something odd miles to the West to run another 3-4.

The Squealers are on the brink of full-on implosion in '07. Cowher's gone, Porter's gone (say what you will about his declining talent, he was the leader of that D), Big Ben has the yips, Polamalu and Faneca are grousing about money, and even Hines Ward is publicly questioning the decisions that have been made.

Not good.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk