First Team to 6 Superbowls - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First Team to 6 Superbowls

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which Franchise Wins It's Sixth Superbowl First?

Dallas
33%
Pitt
16%
SF
51%

Total votes : 49

Postby Munboy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:07 am

The Balanced Man wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:NFL championships. NOT the Super Bowl with both leagues playing. There is a difference. It's not like it was the same league and they just came out with a nice new trophy. It's a totally different ERA. Sure the Bears won all those championships during an ERA of many different leagues. But once it was merged is when you know where the talent was. And since then the Bears have won once. Does the NFL keep track of who won the AFL championships and do they count as well?

And no one said "NFL CHAMPIONSHIP". The question asked was which team will win the SUPER BOWL for the 6th time first.

But I guess as a Browns fan you have to hold on to something.
Free agency is a totally different ERA of the NFL as well. Plus, the NFL has expanded in the Super Bowl era. Are those championships from pre-free agency or pre-expansion worth any less? Nope. They are still the same as others.

Further, there are many football leagues today (arena, Canadian, etc), and one main one. Just like it was back then. Your arguments don't carry much weight.

As much as a Cowboys fan wants to hold onto the disillusion that they are the most successful NFL franchise, it is clear that Dallas is not. They fall somewhere between #4 and #6.

As for AFL championships, None of those are listed in these totals. These are ALL NFL CHAMPIONSHIPS. And they ALL are worth just as much as your NFL championship which happens to be named after a children's toy.

Finally, I know what the question asked. And I stated that the question was moot. And your arguments opposing it were obviously biased and not logically thought through.

Nobody's dicrediting those championships before the superbowl, but the orginial question was "The question at hand is which team do you think will be the first to 6 Superbowl championships?" SUPERBOWL championships, not just championships.

Stop nitpicking :-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:11 am

Munboy wrote:
Stop nitpicking :-D

No way jose. B-)
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:39 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:NFL championships. NOT the Super Bowl with both leagues playing. There is a difference. It's not like it was the same league and they just came out with a nice new trophy. It's a totally different ERA. Sure the Bears won all those championships during an ERA of many different leagues. But once it was merged is when you know where the talent was. And since then the Bears have won once. Does the NFL keep track of who won the AFL championships and do they count as well?

And no one said "NFL CHAMPIONSHIP". The question asked was which team will win the SUPER BOWL for the 6th time first.

Free agency is a totally different ERA of the NFL as well. Plus, the NFL has expanded in the Super Bowl era. Are those championships from pre-free agency or pre-expansion worth any less? Nope. They are still the same as others.

Further, there are many football leagues today (arena, Canadian, etc), and one main one. Just like it was back then. Your arguments don't carry much weight.

As much as a Cowboys fan wants to hold onto the disillusion that they are the most successful NFL franchise, it is clear that Dallas is not. They fall somewhere between #4 and #6.

As for AFL championships, None of those are listed in these totals. These are ALL NFL CHAMPIONSHIPS. And they ALL are worth just as much as your NFL championship which happens to be named after a children's toy.

Finally, I know what the question asked. And I stated that the question was moot. And your arguments opposing it were obviously biased and not logically thought through.

Thats exactly my point. These are all NFL championships. They don't include the AFL championships before the 2 leagues merged. It wasn't like the AFL was struggling and they needed the NFL to come save them. Both leaghues were doing well but at the same time destroying each other. Why do the NFL championships count and the AFL championships not count?

Yeah there's alot of "other" leagues. But don't fool yourself. These other leagues are not on the same playing field. They don't draft from the same pool or sign the same players. It only works one way now, if you want to play football at the highest level you go to the NFL. If you can't make it there you go play in the CFL or Arena and still hope it gets you to the NFL. Back in the day players were signing and being drafted from the same pool of players. No league had better teams which is shown by the fact the AFL won the first 2 championships after the merger.

Free Agency has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. sure thats another era. But it's not the beginning of 2 leagues merging together to form one. Finally having the best players in the world all playing in the same league.

Sure I'm a Dallas fan. And your a Browns fan. So what, you probably like the fact you can look back to a time where the Browns were actually relavent. If I were in your shoes I'd still be watching video of those days too. But guess what, the leagues have merged, and Jim Brown don't play football anymore. Your arguments have little to even do with the topic at hand.

NFL championships pre-merger mean about as much to me as the american league pennant or National league pennant in baseball.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:46 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:

Thats exactly my point. These are all NFL championships. They don't include the AFL championships before the 2 leagues merged. It wasn't like the AFL was struggling and they needed the NFL to come save them. Both leaghues were doing well but at the same time destroying each other. Why do the NFL championships count and the AFL championships not count?

Yeah there's alot of "other" leagues. But don't fool yourself. These other leagues are not on the same playing field. They don't draft from the same pool or sign the same players. It only works one way now, if you want to play football at the highest level you go to the NFL. If you can't make it there you go play in the CFL or Arena and still hope it gets you to the NFL. Back in the day players were signing and being drafted from the same pool of players. No league had better teams which is shown by the fact the AFL won the first 2 championships after the merger.

Free Agency has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. sure thats another era. But it's not the beginning of 2 leagues merging together to form one. Finally having the best players in the world all playing in the same league.

Sure I'm a Dallas fan. And your a Browns fan. So what, you probably like the fact you can look back to a time where the Browns were actually relavent. If I were in your shoes I'd still be watching video of those days too. But guess what, the leagues have merged, and Jim Brown don't play football anymore. Your arguments have little to even do with the topic at hand.

NFL championships pre-merger mean about as much to me as the american league pennant or National league pennant in baseball.

Holy smackers. We're having and argument over what counts more NFL championship pre and post Super Bowl. We all just need a group hug. ;-7

Seriously. A NFL title is a NFL title, it doesn't matter WHEN it was earned. Both of your teams have more championships than my team does. :~(

On a side note, Seattle will gets it's first one this year. :-°
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:24 pm

SeaWolf wrote:Holy smackers. We're having and argument over what counts more NFL championship pre and post Super Bowl. We all just need a group hug. ;-7

Seriously. A NFL title is a NFL title, it doesn't matter WHEN it was earned. Both of your teams have more championships than my team does. :~(

Hehe, this argument is nothing new to me. Bears fans have taken their lumps in this same argument since they've only won 1 since the birth of the modern SuperBowl. Personally, I don't think you can discount the championships before the inception of the SuperBowl. Yes, the game was different then, but it doesn't mean its worth less than current SuperBowls IMO.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:37 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:Holy smackers. We're having and argument over what counts more NFL championship pre and post Super Bowl. We all just need a group hug. ;-7

Hehe, this argument is nothing new to me. Bears fans have taken their lumps in this same argument since they've only won 1 since the birth of the modern SuperBowl. Personally, I don't think you can discount the championships before the inception of the SuperBowl. Yes, the game was different then, but it doesn't mean its worth less than current SuperBowls IMO.

It all stems from the media. They never talk about championships won, just SuperBowls won, so most fans, that is what pops into their head first.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:17 pm

yea, NFL championships count. Otherwise, then people like Bart Starr and Unitas, Lombardi etc are all VERY UNIMPRESSIVE. After all, a lot of their success was prior to this era.

This is something baseball does well and football does not.

I mean does it mean you didn't win the World Series because you didn't play the Negro League champions? No, of course not.

The AFL was successful, but it still wasn't the NFL. Furthermore, I think the dilution of talent through expansion is just as mitigating as the other arguments.

ITs terminology, but championships should count.

I get irritated at Skins fans(especially them for some reason) who always ask for the Philly trophy case. Well are their Super Bowl wins any more relevant really? I'd say no, its over two decades ago, a time when the richer teams could hoard talent.

That being said, the question was SUPER BOWL, and honestly, with the the hype and amount of games needed to win it, its undenaibly a harder task in this day and age then historically.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk