Spikes to be Traded - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Spikes to be Traded

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:45 pm

eaglesfan wrote:He is HUGE upgrade over what we have, and gives us something we haven't had in a while, a playmaking LB

Whats so playmaking about a guy with 1 sack and 72 tackles? Thats what I'm trying to say. Sure if you get the Spikes from a few years ago it's great for you. I just don't see him being a huge upgrade. And this is from watching him play last year.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:50 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
eaglesfan wrote:He is HUGE upgrade over what we have, and gives us something we haven't had in a while, a playmaking LB

Whats so playmaking about a guy with 1 sack and 72 tackles? Thats what I'm trying to say. Sure if you get the Spikes from a few years ago it's great for you. I just don't see him being a huge upgrade. And this is from watching him play last year.

He was just slow recovering from that achilles tendon tear, and that's 72 tackles and 1 sack in 12 games (11 starts), so in a 16 game season that's 96 tackles which isn't too bad for a guy just coming off a tendon tear like that. He'll be healthier next year and could end up being a very nice playmaker for the Eagles next season. You cannot judge Spikes based off watching him last year, it would be like judging how good Edgerrin James was the year after he came back from his knee injury. Just not a reasonable gauge of how good he'll be.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:53 pm

mattb47 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

He was just slow recovering from that achilles tendon tear, and that's 72 tackles and 1 sack in 12 games (11 starts), so in a 16 game season that's 96 tackles which isn't too bad for a guy just coming off a tendon tear like that. He'll be healthier next year and could end up being a very nice playmaker for the Eagles next season. You cannot judge Spikes based off watching him last year, it would be like judging how good Edgerrin James was the year after he came back from his knee injury. Just not a reasonable gauge of how good he'll be.

I can accept that. But I'm just trying to say "Hey, this isn't the steal of the century here!" And also remember he's not a young man. He may never come back. But Julian Peterson came back pretty well from it. It is possible he could go back playing like he did. But it's unlikely.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:12 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

I can accept that. But I'm just trying to say "Hey, this isn't the steal of the century here!" And also remember he's not a young man. He may never come back. But Julian Peterson came back pretty well from it. It is possible he could go back playing like he did. But it's unlikely.

Oh I agree that it's certainly not the steal of the century. I think he probably can get back to playing at a very high level again but he's a few years removed from it and we'll have to see if his body is able to fully heal from that injury 2 years ago. This could end up being a great trade for the Eagles, or it could end up blowing up in their face and end up with a LB who is nowhere near worth the money he's being paid.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesfan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:06 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:

Dhani Jones hasn't done anything in three years, Spikes is a definate upgrade over him. Dhani had like 25 less tackles then Spikes and he played 4 more games. If Spikes is 85-90% of what he was he'll be a force IMO
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:15 pm

eaglesfan wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

Dhani Jones hasn't done anything in three years, Spikes is a definate upgrade over him. Dhani had like 25 less tackles then Spikes and he played 4 more games. If Spikes is 85-90% of what he was he'll be a force IMO

I think Spikes is going to be great on the Eagles. Sure he wont be the pro-bowl playmaker he was a few years ago, but he will still be pretty damn good. The Eagles needed some help at LB and they went out and signed one of the best LBs available. Even if he doesn't come close to form, he is much better then Dhani Jones. (Sorry for repeating)
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:59 pm

this is SO low risk for them in all reality. They are tight in the cap THIS year, but prior to this they were projected to be something like under by 30 million. Most of this year was because of bonuses for contract extensions. Most teams have WAY more dead weight than the eagles do.

Christ, if he is 12-15 percent better than Jones, this is a big deal. He may not BLOW up a lot of plays, but just having solid tackling there would be a big boon for this team. You also have to remember that Kearse is coming back. And while he and howard range from being solid to overrated, they do have talent, and they should get much more penetration. Thomas and Cole are coming around too. As a unit, this move helps the eagles by a large dsgree, even if Spikes doesn't get back to the pro bowl level. I just don't think people understand how bad that lienbacking core (outside of trotter) really is. the turn what should be 3 yard gains into 5 or more regualrly.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Just saw an interview of Takeo Spikes on ESPN News and he said that he couldn't do a lot of things last year because he never really got much training in. He said he was extremely busy rehabbing and didn't get to work on a lot of the things he wanted to work on. He said he's fully healthy now and is ready for an off season of training now that he can do everything he could do before he was injured.

If he does return to form, the Eagles have a pretty nasty defense.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk