Al Wilson trade - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Denver Broncos

Al Wilson trade

Moderator: Football Moderators

Al Wilson trade

Postby Dominator » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:44 am

After hearing that the Broncos are trying to trade Al Wilson, I may have to switch teams.
Dominator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Al Wilson trade

Postby The_Captain » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:33 pm

Dominator wrote:After hearing that the Broncos are trying to trade Al Wilson, I may have to switch teams.

I don't think it'll happen. He failed the Giants physical because of some neck concerns. It's likely he'd fail another teams physical for the same reason.

I would hate to see Al go, but Denver had glaring issues which had to be addressed.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Broncmet » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Ummmm, first I've heard of it. We are joking right? What glaring weakness required trading Al to the Giants?
Broncmet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The_Captain » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Broncmet wrote:Ummmm, first I've heard of it. We are joking right? What glaring weakness required trading Al to the Giants?

I wish it was a joke...

Broncos News wrote:Broncos LB Wilson failed Giants physical
Written by: Len Pasquarelli ¦ 3/23/2007
Source: sports.espn.go.com
A much discussed trade that would have sent Denver Broncos star middle linebacker Al Wilson to the New York Giants was severely jeopardized on Friday, and perhaps scuttled entirely, when the five-time Pro Bowl performer failed a physical examination.

Two league sources familiar with the trade discussions said that Giants team physicians and front office personnel were concerned by a neck problem discerned during the examination.

Trade talks had progressed to the point where Wilson traveled East to meet with the Giants, and the expectation was that a deal would have been consummated had he passed the exam. It is believed that the teams had agreed to most of the principle elements of the trade, with the deal contingent on Wilson's health. Clubs typically include a physical examination in trade agreements.

It is not known what the Giants would have surrendered in the deal. Some reports indicated New York would part with third-year defensive end Justin Tuck, but they were unfounded.

It is doubtful, sources said, that the trade talks will be revived.

Wilson, 29, has missed only three games in eight seasons, never more than one in a given year. He was carted from the field with a neck injury last December after running into teammate and defensive tackle Gerard Warren, but returned to play the following week. He did miss the final game of the season with neck and thumb injuries. He subsequently had offseason surgery to address the thumb injury.

An online search of Wilson's medical history since entering the NFL referred to only two games missed because of any neck injuries.

In the NFL, however, there are no leaguewide standards for physicals, and examinations are totally subjective. Often a team will "fail" a player on a physical, not only because of the medical risk involved, but also because of financial exposure. Wilson has three seasons remaining on his current contract  at base salaries of $5.2 million (2007), $3.65 million (2008), $5.15 million (2009) and $6.8 million (2010)  and that could have been a factor in the Giants' decision.

Also, just because Wilson did not pass the Giants' standards does not mean he cannot play for the Broncos again.

A first-round choice in the 1999 draft, Wilson has been the subject of trade speculation for much of the offseason. ESPN.com reported earlier this month that Detroit officials had attempted to acquire Wilson from Denver in the deal that sent cornerback Dre Bly to the Broncos and offensive tackle George Foster and tailback Tatum Bell to the Lions. The Philadelphia Eagles also inquired about Wilson's availability.

But the NFL Network reported this week that the Broncos were discussing the trade with the New York Giants, and the linebacker's agent confirmed there had been negotiations involving his client.

Despite his five Pro Bowl appearances, Wilson is not a high profile defender. But he has been one of the NFL's steadiest playmakers, a tackling machine with 960 career stops, and the rare middle linebacker who can stay on the field for third down and be effective, as reflected in his 21 � sacks, five interceptions and 49 pass deflections.

Had he been traded, Wilson would have moved to weakside linebacker in New York, since the Giants already possess a standout middle linebacker in Antonio Pierece. Denver would probably have filled the vacancy created by his departure by moving starting strongside linebacker D.J. Williams, a first-round choice in 2004, into the middle.

Denver has spent a LOT of money this off-season upgrading a number of positions which needed some attention so their overspending caused them to seek a trade for Wilson.

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dominator » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:29 pm

But what would they get in the trade??
And we would then be looking for a middle LB to take Wilson's spot.
Wilson is my favorite player, but I heard that Denver may also look at Jonathan Vilma for Wilson ??
Dominator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The_Captain » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:08 pm

Dominator wrote:But what would they get in the trade??
And we would then be looking for a middle LB to take Wilson's spot.
Wilson is my favorite player, but I heard that Denver may also look at Jonathan Vilma for Wilson ??

I can't find any news reports indicating the Broncos are looking at Vilma for Wilson - do you have a link or anything?

If they were able to trade Wilson, they would move DJ Williams to the MLB spot and Pierce would replace Williams on the strongside (see last paragraph of article I posted).

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Dominator » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:43 pm

Hey Cap,
I looked and found out the Vilma thing was just a trade scenario by someone leaving a post on the Broncos website. No real evidence.
Would be interesting with Vilma and DJ playing side by side again though.
Dominator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The_Captain » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:45 pm

Dominator wrote:Hey Cap,
I looked and found out the Vilma thing was just a trade scenario by someone leaving a post on the Broncos website. No real evidence.
Would be interesting with Vilma and DJ playing side by side again though.

Having Williams and Vilma in the same backfield would be awesome but I really hope the Broncos work something out to keep Wilson.

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Timbathia » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:43 pm

Vilma wont happen.

It appears Wilson will stay, but DJ would be a good option at MLB. There is no reason to go out after another one.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby shasty mcnasty » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:55 pm

per Bill Williamson, Denver Post:
In an offseason that has featured several complicated deals, the Broncos have only a couple issues left to resolve before focusing on the draft. The team likely will part ways with linebacker Al Wilson, either trading or releasing him soon. And the trade for defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson from Miami is expected to be voided Friday, barring a surprise arrival by Wilkinson to take a physical.

huh? :-? Is the financial hit of the offseason so much as to require the broncos to release Wilson? Or is it the neck injury that is so serious? What's going on with the Broncos and Wilson? A trade i can understand, even though i sure haven't heard any complaints about him, but just cutting him? I'm confused...
shasty mcnasty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Next

Return to Denver Broncos