Anti-semitic comments- but I don't find them offensive - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anti-semitic comments- but I don't find them offensive

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:19 pm

I think in this PC world generalizations get blown out of proportion and lumped in with derogatory or stereotypical comments. I discern a difference between the two. Generalizations are just trends people notice, whether good, neutral or bad in connotation, whereas derogatory comments are specifically intended to harm another human being or group of individuals.

To say Jewish people are typically good with money, or successful is just like saying typically only men play football. Of course it doesn't mean the rest of the population can't, nor does it mean if you don't meet that criteria you shouldn't bother trying, but its an observed trend with a fair bit of truth (sometimes overwhelming bit) behind it to back up the accuracy of said statements.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:57 pm

There's offensive and inappropriate. When you are a visible figure for any organization, it is inappropriate to make remarks such as this. What he said is not offensive, though.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk