SportsCenter's "On the Clock: Tennessee Titans" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Tennessee Titans

SportsCenter's "On the Clock: Tennessee Titans"

Moderator: Football Moderators

SportsCenter's "On the Clock: Tennessee Titans"

Postby Karoz » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:13 pm

SportsCenter wrote:Through April 20, "SportsCenter" will put every NFL team "On The Clock." Scouts Inc. will break down each team and look at what questions still need answering.

Expectations should be high after the Titans finished last season 8-8. Tennessee boasts an impressive corps of young players, including franchise quarterback Vince Young. After inserting Young into the starting lineup, the Titans won eight of their final 11 games, just missing a playoff spot.

Unfortunately, rather than building on the momentum, the Titans have suffered some major hits this offseason, including Adam (Pacman) Jones' latest off-the-field transgression. General manager Floyd Reese resigned in January and was replaced by Mike Reinfeldt. Head coach Jeff Fisher will be on equal footing with Reinfeldt when it comes to making personnel decisions.

The Titans have a strong offensive line, but must replace their primary running back Travis Henry (Denver) and primary receiver Drew Bennett (Rams) from last season. The Titans finished last in the league in total defense.

Key additions

While the Titans have not been very busy this offseason, cornerback Nick Harper (Colts) was signed to play opposite Jones. The plan was to allow former starter Reynaldo Hill to be a situational player. However, with Jones' future unclear, Hill might need to move back to his starting role. Restricted free-agent Ryan Fowler was signed from the Cowboys and should assume the starting MLB position, forming a nice trio with ROLB Keith Bulluck and LOLB David Thornton. WR Justin Gage (Bears) was added to the mix of receivers, but only played in eight games last season.

Key losses

The Titans released Henry and have yet to re-sign backup RB Chris Brown. Losing Bennett and fellow wide receiver Bobby Wade (Vikings), who combined for 79 receptions last season, was also a big blow. Last season's pricey free-agent signing David Givens only played in five games before suffering a season-ending knee injury. He might not be ready for the start of the season. The Titans will need WR Brandon Jones to step up in a big way in 2007.

Remaining questions

The Titans have had an interesting offseason. They will need to make some excellent picks in next month's draft to improve upon their 8-8 record from last season. There are still some major areas of concerns for the Titans. They will need second-year RB LenDale White to carry the load, taking pressure off Young. White is a big, powerful back who lacks playing experience. The Titans must find an impact receiver who can make explosive plays in the passing game. Defensively, the Titans must find a pass rusher opposite DE Kyle Vanden Bosch. Cornerback is also a major need because of the Jones situation and Tennessee's aggressive style of defensive schemes.

Official Story Location

I agree with the overall analysis of the Titans' needs. I have a short list of rookie prospects that I would like to see Tennessee take in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Hopefully we will be able to re-sign Chris Brown, so that we won't have a weak backfield. To me, Brown isn't the ideal player to line up behind Vince Young, but he is certainly a much better option than LenDale White, in my opinion.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:55 am

I think they may need to do better than Brown as their rb. I think his injury history is very troubling. And I also believe he has peaked at his offensive level.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Karoz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:12 pm

I agree that having Brown as your primary RB for the entire season isn't exactly ideal.

Personally, I would like to see the Titans sign Corey Dillon. He still has a few years left in him, and he could split time with Brown if necessary. That would keep both backs in good condition, it would give the Titans' backfield some versatility, and it cause the two backs to work and play hard to try and outperform each other.

Another upside to Corey Dillon is that he is currently a free agent, which means that the Titans wouldn't have to surrender any draft picks or players in order to acquire him. His salary wouldn't be a problem either, as the Titans are well under the salary cap.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Tennessee Titans