Tile & Grout - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Tile & Grout

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tile & Grout

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:59 pm

I've been putting this off for a while, but I need to get this done. I tiled my kitchen, entryway, and bathroom last spring as some of you may remember. The grout in the kitchen quickly cracked and I had to painstakingly remove most of it and redo it.

So my first question is in regards to this regrouted job. Some, but to a much lesser scale, cracked again. Why is this? Is the floor beneath it unstable or something? Probably nothing I can do about that I suppose. It's concrete board underneath the tile that we put more than enough screws into so it should be solid.

Second question is in regards to the heavier trafficked areas of the tile in all 3 areas where I laid it. The grout became stained. I realize now that I should have sealed it which probably would have prevented both the staining and the cracking. Anyway, Knapp had suggested that I use bleach and that worked like a charm (he's good for something after all :-D ). So this question has 2 parts:

1. For the cracked grout, I can remove this grout and regrout, wait 24 hours for it to dry, then immediately seal it.

2. For the stained, but not cracked grout, I can bleach it then immediately seal it.

Does that sound right? Anyone have much experience with this? Any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to close this chapter once and for all.

Also, our basement was carpeted last spring but we got some slight water damage and I removed all of the carpet down there (that sucked). My wife would love to put lament wood flooring down there, but I'm not so sure if this is a good idea with the possibility of more water damage. I do believe the water damage was due to clogged water drains which I'm going to either clean out more regularly or get those gutter helmet systems installed. Would the slightest bit of water damage lament wood flooring enough to justify not putting that in? And, if so, would tile be the way to go down there too? It's smooth concrete right now.

Any advice or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:39 pm

If memory serves Pergo makes a type of laminate flooring that's more water-resistant for use in kitchens, entryways, and such. I think it's called Pergo Kitchen, but I couldn't swear to it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:28 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:If memory serves Pergo makes a type of laminate flooring that's more water-resistant for use in kitchens, entryways, and such. I think it's called Pergo Kitchen, but I couldn't swear to it.

Yeah they do but I wouldn't recommend using it anywhere where you might have even the possibility of flooding, its not worth the risk. If it was just a one time deal and you can prevent it from happening again then look into it.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:56 pm

Easy and works like a charm. ;-D B-)

[url=http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=146449-1168-9535&lpage=none]Precision
One-Step Grout Sealer[/url]. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:29 pm

Metroid wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:If memory serves Pergo makes a type of laminate flooring that's more water-resistant for use in kitchens, entryways, and such. I think it's called Pergo Kitchen, but I couldn't swear to it.

Yeah they do but I wouldn't recommend using it anywhere where you might have even the possibility of flooding, its not worth the risk. If it was just a one time deal and you can prevent it from happening again then look into it.

Got a little water in the basement today. :-[quote="joelamosobadiah"]top the last couple days and I haven't had time to get the fall leaves out of the gutters so I think that's the reason. :~(

joelamosobadiah wrote:Easy and works like a charm. ;-D B-)

[url=http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=146449-1168-9535&lpage=none]Precision

Have you tried this stuff? It certainly looks a lot easier than the alternatives I've seen and we'll be out of here in about 2-3 years.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:35 am

Have you tried this stuff? It certainly looks a lot easier than the alternatives I've seen and we'll be out of here in about 2-3 years.[/quote]

Yeah, I guy I worked with used it so I haven't seen its long-term effects, but I will ask him at church this morning what he thinks of the stuff, but he does very quality work and that's what he uses. It's really easy to use.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:12 am

Metroid wrote:

We put Pergo in our new home. :-P . Any water on it is bad. Where is the Pergo flooring. Bathroom and Kitchen. :-B Anytime liquid is spilled it's like an emergency in this house. WSe even have two boys. One is in diapers, and the other can't aim.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:42 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Have you tried this stuff? It certainly looks a lot easier than the alternatives I've seen and we'll be out of here in about 2-3 years.

Yeah, I guy I worked with used it so I haven't seen its long-term effects, but I will ask him at church this morning what he thinks of the stuff, but he does very quality work and that's what he uses. It's really easy to use.

One other question regarding this particular sealant; does it protect against cracking like other sealants?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:53 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

One other question regarding this particular sealant; does it protect against cracking like other sealants?

It's made to lock out moisture, so it keeps it from mildew/stains, but I don't know about cracking. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bagobonez » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 am

I bet it's what's underneath your tile and grout, not the grout itself. What size of concrete board did you use or did you use any at all?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk