Tile & Grout - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Tile & Grout

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:My brother and me were the tile guys.

D'oh! :-b

I meant maybe you could contact a tile guy and ask what they think.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I do believe the consistency of the grout had something to do with the cracking. A great deal actually, because I regrouted once and the second lay had significantly less cracking than the first. I think the sealant might actually help with the cracking too.

You know how as you start pressing the grout into the joints with those rubber grout floats and the grout starts to dry out? If you continue to press that dryer grout into the joints you will for sure get cracking. We always made our grout VERY wet and once it became difficult to press into the joints we'd scrape it up and discard it. :-?

Yeah, the second go-around (less cracking) I used more water in the mix. I'll definitely keep that in mind. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:34 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:My brother and me were the tile guys.

D'oh! :-b

I meant maybe you could contact a tile guy and ask what they think.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I do believe the consistency of the grout had something to do with the cracking. A great deal actually, because I regrouted once and the second lay had significantly less cracking than the first. I think the sealant might actually help with the cracking too.

You know how as you start pressing the grout into the joints with those rubber grout floats and the grout starts to dry out? If you continue to press that dryer grout into the joints you will for sure get cracking. We always made our grout VERY wet and once it became difficult to press into the joints we'd scrape it up and discard it. :-?

Yeah, the second go-around (less cracking) I used more water in the mix. I'll definitely keep that in mind. !+)

Yeah it always sucks when you have to do stuff twice but really it's kind of a good way to learn? :-?

Not that you're trying to become a tile guy or anything. :-b

Another thing you could do is blame the cracking on your brother, thats what they're for. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 am

Metroid wrote:Another thing you could do is blame the cracking on your brother, thats what they're for. ;-D

Oh, he got a phone call. Especially since he was the one who "knew what he was doing" in the first place. :-b !+) :-[

Seriously, though, I think it was mostly my fault for not sealing it up right away. :,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:41 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:Another thing you could do is blame the cracking on your brother, thats what they're for. ;-D

Oh, he got a phone call. Especially since he was the one who "knew what he was doing" in the first place. :-b !+) :-[

Seriously, though, I think it was mostly my fault for not sealing it up right away. :,-(

I dunno know man, I think a sealer is more to protect against dirt, spills and discoloration. I'm not sure it prevents cracking, I could be wrong though. :-?

Either way I'd still lay the blame on your hot shot master tile layer brother. :-b
Metroid

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:47 am

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I dunno know man, I think a sealer is more to protect against dirt, spills and discoloration. I'm not sure it prevents cracking, I could be wrong though. :-?

Either way I'd still lay the blame on your hot shot master tile layer brother. :-b

It seems to me though that sealing would prevent air pockets, etc. that might encourage cracking though. I'll make sure I'm very particular with the consistency on the couple areas that it's cracked and go from there. If that doesn't work I think I'll sell the house.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:54 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

It seems to me though that sealing would prevent air pockets, etc. that might encourage cracking though. I'll make sure I'm very particular with the consistency on the couple areas that it's cracked and go from there. If that doesn't work I think I'll sell the house.

I'm sure its gotta be hair pulling man. Tile is one of those things my boss and I decided we wouldn't do for anyone other than family and friends. Too much of a pain in the butt. Theres a reason why all Tile Setters do is set tile. Its the same reason all Masons do is masonry, it's a specialized trade. I'd lay tile in my own house but I wouldn't wanna do it for a living.
Metroid

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:17 am

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I'm sure its gotta be hair pulling man. Tile is one of those things my boss and I decided we wouldn't do for anyone other than family and friends. Too much of a pain in the butt. Theres a reason why all Tile Setters do is set tile. Its the same reason all Masons do is masonry, it's a specialized trade. I'd lay tile in my own house but I wouldn't wanna do it for a living.

i wish i could lay pipe for a living ;-7
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:21 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Doesn't everyone? Theres only room for one Ron Jeremy. :-b

Literally. 8-o
Metroid

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Doesn't everyone? Theres only room for one Ron Jeremy. :-b

Literally. 8-o

are you trying to tell me Ron Jeremy couldnt do DP ;-7

:-? ...... :-P
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk