Chemical Reactions at Home - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Chemical Reactions at Home

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Guru13 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:46 pm

just tried the egg thing, it worked well but my egg had a bit of a slit in the side so the bottom plopped through, but not the top, still cool though.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:05 am

Munboy wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:mentos and diet coke :-b

it might not be quite the fun instant reaction you're looking for, but if you place an egg (with the shell still on) in a bowl of vinegar for a few days it will get really big and rubbery

you can also mix large amount of cornstarch with a small amount of water (i forget the exact ratios) and get a cool product. basically you can roll it into a ball and watch it melt again, or if you try to jam a finger through it it resists you but you can push it right through with little preassure

I'm suprised it took a full page for somebody to mention mentos and diet coke!!

Its a new classic and easy and nondangerous and cheap and messy! ;-D

No Doubt. After seeing it on the Internet and Mythbusters I gave it a try. I have no idea what the specifics of the chemical reaction in that 2-Liter were, but the results are pretty wild.

Haven't eaten a Mento since, because it raised some serious questions in my head as to what the h**l is in a Mento. :-o

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:16 am

Sorry...most of the chemical reactions I want to do at home create fire and/or explosions...and most of the reagents I would get from work wouldn't be available in a store either. :-D

I've done a somewhat cool one with potassium iodide, hydrogen peroxide, and soap. You need to get fairly concentrated peroxide though...not the 3% crap you get for a disinfectant. I'm talking the 30-35% variety. The one time I made the solution too strong and the stuff shot out of the cylinder pretty dang fast, hahaha. I wish I could find the pic of it that I have...don't know if I hosted it or not.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:18 am

I just opened this thread and will scroll through it later at home and shortly before I make a run to the grocery and/or hardware store. :-D

The kid got one of those potato battery things for Christmas and we could never get it to work. :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:29 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Sorry...most of the chemical reactions I want to do at home create fire and/or explosions...and most of the reagents I would get from work wouldn't be available in a store either. :-D

I've done a somewhat cool one with potassium iodide, hydrogen peroxide, and soap. You need to get fairly concentrated peroxide though...not the 3% crap you get for a disinfectant. I'm talking the 30-35% variety. The one time I made the solution too strong and the stuff shot out of the cylinder pretty dang fast, hahaha. I wish I could find the pic of it that I have...don't know if I hosted it or not.

That was posted earlier in the thread and it looks totally cool. Where did you get your potassium iodide? Do you remember how much it was? This is something I'd like to do at home, but potassium iodide isn't something most folks have laying around. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:46 am

knapplc wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:Sorry...most of the chemical reactions I want to do at home create fire and/or explosions...and most of the reagents I would get from work wouldn't be available in a store either. :-D

That was posted earlier in the thread and it looks totally cool. Where did you get your potassium iodide? Do you remember how much it was? This is something I'd like to do at home, but potassium iodide isn't something most folks have laying around. :-b

Says it's available over the counter. Do you know a pharmacist?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:28 am

Bleach and Ammonia is another fun one }:-)

....ohhh...or draino crystals, tin foil strips, and water in a 2 liter bottle...shake and run....and BOOM goes the dynamite
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:12 pm

This isn't necessarily a chemical reaction, but if you put just a tiny amount of water into the bottom of a soda can, put it over heat for long enough and put it upside down into a bucket/sink/etc. filled with water, the can will get crushed.

That's the best I can do. :-/
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Guru13 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 pm

ok, I have to ask, what does bleach and ammonia do?

also, same sort of explosion thing here (dangerous), half sunscreen, half rubbing alcohol, but actually only fill the bottle half of the way up with those things, then put 5 tin foil balls in there, strike a match, drop it in, screw on the cap, shake and set it down, big boom, also, be very careful if you try this, it could go off prematurely.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Says it's available over the counter. Do you know a pharmacist?

I just went to Walgreen's and they said they can't sell it without a prescription. I don't know that I believe that - they sell it online and it doesn't look like I'd need a prescription there to get it. I guess I'll have to keep looking.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk