Don Imus Radio Controversy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Don Imus Radio Controversy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Don Imus Radio Controversy

Postby Kilroy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Talk-Radio Host Don Imus Apologizes for On-Air Racial Slurs Against Rutgers Women's Basketball Team

Friday, April 06, 2007

NEW YORK — Syndicated talk-radio personality Don Imus apologized Friday for calling members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos" during a segment yesterday in his "Imus in the Morning" show.

Imus and his producer and on-air sidekick, Bernard McGuirk, went on to further attack the black members of the team, calling them "jigaboos and wannabees."

In his apology, Imus called his comments "insensitive and ill-conceived."

"It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended," he told listeners at the opening of his broadcast Friday morning.

He further called the comments "thoughtless and stupid" and said, "We're sorry."

The apology came after Imus initially brushed aside criticism, telling The New York Times "not to worry about some idiot saying something meant to be amusing."

Rutgers officials issued this statement: "We agree with Mr. Imus that this was, in his own words, an 'idiot comment.' We are very proud of the success of the Rutgers women's basketball team. Coach Stringer and the Rutgers players are outstanding ambassadors for this great institution."

Shortly after Imus made his comments about the Rutgers team, MSNBC released the following statement: "While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments."

The comments drew immediate outrage from the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), which had called for a boycott of Imus' show until he issued a "sincere and unequivocal apology," referring to him as a "sophomoric host."

"Has he lost his mind?" asked NABJ President Bryan Monroe, vice president and editorial director for Ebony and Jet magazines in Chicago. "Those comments were beyond offensive. Imus needs to be fired. Today."

The veteran talk-jock's remarks came during a discussion — that included WFAN show host Sid Rosenberg, McGuirk and show regular Charles McCord — about Rutgers' loss to Tennessee, 59-46, Tuesday night in the NCAA Women's Basketball Finals.

Imus: So, I watched the basketball game last night between — a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.

Rosenberg: Yeah, Tennessee won last night — seventh championship for [Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.

Imus: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and —

McGuirk: Some hard-core hos.

Imus: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some — woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like — kinda like — I don't know.

McGuirk: A Spike Lee thing.

Imus: Yeah.

McGuirk: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes — that movie that he had.

Imus: Yeah, it was a tough —

Charles McCord: Do The Right Thing.

McGuirk: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Imus: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did, right?

Rosenberg: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.

Rosenberg was twice fired from the Imus show, once for racist comments about Serena and Venus Williams, and again for remarks about singer Kylie Minogue, who was battling breast cancer.

"She won't look so pretty when she's bald with one [breast]," Rosenberg said on air.

Each time, Imus rehired Rosenberg following on-air apologies.

"nappy headed hos"?

"jigaboos"?

There's a line, then there's crossing the line, then several miles the other side of that there's that kind of bigoted crap.

They should all be fired. :-t

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Imus is an idiot. I honestly can't believe the guy has been on the radio for as long as he has.

I'm not into shock jocks though. I think they all suck.

Imus, Howard Stern, and I can't remember that other fool from back in the day that got canned. I think he was in the DC area.

To me they are the radio version of Jerry Springer.

I know alot of the organizations jump the gun on alot of racial comments but these are so over the top he deserves whatever he gets which will probably be nothing but a fine that his employers will pay anyway.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mrblitz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Imus is an idiot. Plain and simple. :-t

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Karoz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:14 am

I heard about this in the news late yesterday, and I have to say that it didn't shock me. The kind of people that they have working at MSNBC are not exactly the most pleasant to listen to. Imus should be fired for his comments, in my opinion.

:-P :-t

Though, I would like to commend him for saying that the Tennessee players looked "cute".

:-D
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:05 am

Why is he still employed by an organization like NBC?

MSNBC wrote:While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments.

Yeah? And? If you're really apologetic fire his butt!

Keeping him on the air is a tacit approval of his statements. Plain and simple. :-t
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:28 am

knapplc wrote:Why is he still employed by an organization like NBC?

ratings

MSNBC wrote:While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments.

knapplc wrote:Yeah? And? If you're really apologetic fire his butt!

Keeping him on the air is a tacit approval of his statements. Plain and simple. :-t

i agree... he needs to be fired... any other job and he'd be gone already
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:27 am

While insensitive, I don't understand why everyone is freaking out. Imus has been doing this for 3+ decades. Is that worse than what Howard Stern used to say (before he moved to satellite radio) on a daily basis? No. Get over it.

Like George Carlin said....if you don't like what you're listening to on the radio (or watching on TV), change the channel.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby maddog60 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:57 am

Wow, I've never even heard of those racial slurs. That's taking some real effort to be offensive. While I dont listen to Imus, and certainly never would after these comments, I don't think he should be fired.

If he gets fired for making those comments, then you're basically agreeing to censorship, which while in place, still violates the 1st Amendment. Imus's comments were disgusting, but legally an individual is allowed be racist and voice their opinion, which is what he did. Its morally repulsive, but its the same reason why the !@$%s in the KKK can't be arrested just because their pathetic bigots. Unless his contract was violated in any way by these comments, I don't think he should be fired.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Karoz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:53 am

maddog60 wrote:If he gets fired for making those comments, then you're basically agreeing to censorship, which while in place, still violates the 1st Amendment. Imus's comments were disgusting, but legally an individual is allowed be racist and voice their opinion, which is what he did. Its morally repulsive, but its the same reason why the !@$%s in the KKK can't be arrested just because their pathetic bigots. Unless his contract was violated in any way by these comments, I don't think he should be fired.

I think MSNBC should fire him, because allowing him to keep his job and voice these sorts of opinions would hurt their already poor image, and would cause more people to reject their already extreme views.

Personally, I want to see him get fired so that he will not be able to say these sorts of things on such a mainstream talk show. As unpopular as MSNBC is, they still reach a vast amount of people nationwide. I have no problem with Imus finding a job as a radio talk show host on some smaller station/network.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:20 pm

Anyone else catch Wilbon talking about this yesterday on PTI, man I dont' think Wilbon is going to join the Imus fan club anytime soon.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Next

Return to General Talk