Don Imus Radio Controversy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Don Imus Radio Controversy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Metroid » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:55 am

knapplc wrote:
Free Bagel

I think the bulk of the controversy here comes from Imus' use of the term "nappy-headed," which in my experience as a Civil Rights Investigator refers specifically to Blacks 99% of the time. By singling out that group, by being such a snot about what he said, the perception that he was being racist was pretty easy to draw for a lot of people. Notice also that, as many times as Imus has been accused of using racial slurs in this situation, he has not denied that he was using racial slurs. I find that to be very telling.

Further, this is not the first time Imus has done something like this, said something like this, etc. I can't give you specifics, I'm taking this from the coverage I've read/heard.

He also used the term "jigaboo" which is for sure a racist slur.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 am

knapplc wrote:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Don Imus ran into more trouble Wednesday as a member of CBS Corp.'s board of directors said the radio talk-show host should be fired over his racially charged remarks about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

"As an African-American, I believe that Imus has crossed the line, a very bright line that divides our country," said Bruce Gordon, a CBS director and former president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"His remarks are so significant that I believe that the right outcome is for him to be terminated."

It is a statement like this that I think inadvertantly helps to perpetuate the race problem in this country. Imus' statements should be distasteful to anyone, regardless of race or color. Stating that it crosses some line visible only to one segment of the population serves to point out differences, and that I think is a problem.

Better to have said that it was out of line from an American or a human perspective, rather than to say it based on a racial barrier.

This is one of the best points/posts I've seen in some time. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:25 pm

This is a very good article:

"Whitlock nails it"
[url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35334]Check 'er out[/url]
Chrisy Moltisanti
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:44 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:This is a very good article:

"Whitlock nails it"

Actually, that article is as damaging as the things he decries on many, many levels. His completely goes against the exact things he says he is for. He perpetuates and "Us and Them" mentality.
Once that mentality is gone - once Blacks are considered Americans instead of African Americans - we'll have taken a major step toward eliminating this divide. But while Mr. Whitlock and others continue to think of themselves as separate, there will be a separation.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:02 pm

Don Imus FIRED from CBS radio.... ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:03 pm

knapplc wrote:

"Whitlock nails it"

Actually, that article is as damaging as the things he decries on many, many levels. His completely goes against the exact things he says he is for. He perpetuates and "Us and Them" mentality.
Once that mentality is gone - once Blacks are considered Americans instead of African Americans - we'll have taken a major step toward eliminating this divide. But while Mr. Whitlock and others continue to think of themselves as separate, there will be a separation.

You're wrong. Don't use such strong words. Italians and the Irish still don't always get along due to racial overtones, but over time it's mellowed itself out. Don't try to come off as such an idealist that you know how to end racism or that you know it can be ended. There is nothing wrong with people being proud of there heritage, especially if that heritage shares the atrocities committed against them that blacks do. Go ahead and try to tell me I'm not Scottish pal. :-°
[url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35334]Check 'er out[/url]
Chrisy Moltisanti
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby treat24 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:06 pm

CBS just fired Imus from his radio show...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
knapplc wrote:

"Whitlock nails it"

You're wrong. Don't use such strong words. Italians and the Irish still don't always get along due to racial overtones, but over time it's mellowed itself out. Don't try to come off as such an idealist that you know how to end racism or that you know it can be ended. There is nothing wrong with people being proud of there heritage, especially if that heritage shares the atrocities committed against them that blacks do. Go ahead and try to tell me I'm not Scottish pal. :-°

What do you do for a living?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Karoz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:16 pm

treat24 wrote:CBS just fired Imus from his radio show...

Good.

I hope that he is able to get a job on a much smaller station/network. I understand that he uses shock comedy, and that is why he is so successful. I have to admit, even though I never liked MSNBC, I would always tune into Imus.

However, he has to understand that he can't get by with certain types of statements. While the comments didn't hurt me personally, I still found them appalling. If, after spending time on a much smaller network, he learns to refrain from making these sorts of statements, then I would love to see him get a job on XM.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Karoz wrote:While the comments didn't hurt me personally, I still found them appalling.

Why do you think this? You are an American, right? Doesn't someone peeing in the pool affect us all?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk