Don Imus Radio Controversy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Don Imus Radio Controversy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:40 pm

knapplc wrote:
Karoz wrote:While the comments didn't hurt me personally, I still found them appalling.

Why do you think this? You are an American, right? Doesn't someone peeing in the pool affect us all?

I have a pool....
A little pee in 13,000 gallons of chlorinated water don't hurt me a bit! :-b

But Imus needs not be on the air. Those comments are waaaaay over the top in any thinking society.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:But Imus needs not be on the air. Those comments are waaaaay over the top in any thinking society.

You got your wish.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2835321

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:This is a very good article:

"Whitlock nails it"

Actually, that article is as damaging as the things he decries on many, many levels. His completely goes against the exact things he says he is for. He perpetuates and "Us and Them" mentality.
Once that mentality is gone - once Blacks are considered Americans instead of African Americans - we'll have taken a major step toward eliminating this divide. But while Mr. Whitlock and others continue to think of themselves as separate, there will be a separation.

You're wrong. Don't use such strong words. Italians and the Irish still don't always get along due to racial overtones, but over time it's mellowed itself out. Don't try to come off as such an idealist that you know how to end racism or that you know it can be ended. There is nothing wrong with people being proud of there heritage, especially if that heritage shares the atrocities committed against them that blacks do. Go ahead and try to tell me I'm not Scottish pal. :-°

What do you do for a living?

Take a guess?
[url=http://www.fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35334]Check 'er out[/url]
Chrisy Moltisanti
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:But Imus needs not be on the air. Those comments are waaaaay over the top in any thinking society.

You got your wish.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2835321

Best news I've heard all day! Idiot. WTF was he thinking? I get the shock jock thing (don't like it, just get it) ....... but how could he be that stupid?
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:21 pm

knapplc wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:This is a very good article:

"Whitlock nails it"

Actually, that article is as damaging as the things he decries on many, many levels. His completely goes against the exact things he says he is for. He perpetuates and "Us and Them" mentality.
Once that mentality is gone - once Blacks are considered Americans instead of African Americans - we'll have taken a major step toward eliminating this divide. But while Mr. Whitlock and others continue to think of themselves as separate, there will be a separation.

I do understand what you're saying, but I think Whitlock made some very good points as well. First off Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are a joke, I'm glad someone finally called them out. They are more racist than the people they call out as racist. Also, while the best possible scenario is for blacks and whites to just mesh and be seen as America (as opposed to white people and black people), I just don't know if that's a realistic possibility right now. I may be wrong but I think I have seen on this site that you work for the government on these issues, so I would have to say you know this a lot better than I do, but I just think with two different cultures like this its hard to get everyone with the same views and ideas on life. I think Whitlock made very good points about the problems blacks have had in recent years, and that before anything else happens that stuff must stop. I don't even usually like Whitlock, I've read a lot of stuff on the KC Star website, and I can't say I'm a fan, but I've seen a few articles that he's written about this situation and I've been impressed. However, I do see where you're coming from in the fact that he sees black people as completely separate from whites. So in that respect, he may be taking the wrong angle on all of this, but I do think he made some good points as well.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Karoz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:22 pm

knapplc wrote:
Karoz wrote:While the comments didn't hurt me personally, I still found them appalling.

Why do you think this? You are an American, right? Doesn't someone peeing in the pool affect us all?

What I was suggesting was that I wasn't hurt emotionally, at least not as a direct result of the comments.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 am

I guess one thing that continues to bother me is this notion that certain classes can use words to "take the sting out of it" and others can't. This is an argument that constantly is put forth by rappers, defenders of rap etc.

While I see the logic, I don't agree with it. I mean Snoop Dogg was a headliner of Lollapalooza. White teens make up by far the largest demographic of consumers of rap and hip hop music. It seems to me more than a little off to proffer that argument, then use such words and imagery into something you are consciously peddling to white America.

I think certain things should be either off limits to everybody, or people can be adults when they hear terms like that. I personally think it was the right move to fire Imus etc. However, there are some real points to be made here regarding hypocrisy and flawed logic.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dream_017 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:59 am

Whitlock will be on our local sport radio show today to talk about the article. It will be at 4:05 eastern and you can listen from the internet. http://www.wdfn.com
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:40 pm

dream_017 wrote:Whitlock will be on our local sport radio show today to talk about the article. It will be at 4:05 eastern and you can listen from the internet. http://www.wdfn.com

I heard Whitlock on 590 The Fan in a replayed segment last night on local radio, and I thought it was very interesting what he said. He said he thought that blacks needed to take care of their own problems first, and that Jesse and Al still operate like its 1965. I thought he was very interesting, whether you agree with him or not. And I'm really not a fan of Whitlock, but his few articles on this subject have really gotten a lot of attention.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:44 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Whitlock will be on our local sport radio show today to talk about the article. It will be at 4:05 eastern and you can listen from the internet. http://www.wdfn.com

I heard Whitlock on 590 The Fan in a replayed segment last night on local radio, and I thought it was very interesting what he said. He said he thought that blacks needed to take care of their own problems first, and that Jesse and Al still operate like its 1965. I thought he was very interesting, whether you agree with him or not. And I'm really not a fan of Whitlock, but his few articles on this subject have really gotten a lot of attention.

I caught Whitlock on The Herd this morning. He makes a lot more sense on the radio than in his column. I'm going to back down a smidge from what I wrote up there ^^^. I think he's pointing out those racial divides and I still think he's being counterproductive to a degree, but it may simply be because of the nature of the conversation. I think I probably agree with him more than disagree with him.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk