Want to start a dynasty Lg...Need some advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Want to start a dynasty Lg...Need some advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Want to start a dynasty Lg...Need some advice

Postby powenM » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:47 am

I run several Dynasty leagues in the other 3 major sports. Now id like to try Football.

Id like to make it 16-20teams. Is that 2 large?
What should be the roster size?
Position suggestions?
Like other sports that carry farm clubs do u have something(Maybe a Practice roster)where teams can stash away young prospects/players? Whats your time limit or age to keep them inactive or be forced to bring them on roster?

Not ready to do the salary cap thingy though.

and any other suggestions would be most helpful!

Tx Paul
powenM
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:01 am

16-20 teams is kinda big. I'm in one 16 team league, but most of mine have 10 or 12 teams in them. It's all based on personal preference, but any bigger than 16 and you start running out of good players to start, so I'd cap it at 16 and probably try something smaller than that to start off.

Starting lineups are your preference. I've seen anywhere from 1-2 QBs, 1-2 RB, 2-4 WR, usually 1 TE and 1 K, and you can throw RB/WR and WR/TE flexes in there if you want. You can throw defensive players in if you want. I like to usually have only 1 QB, 2 RB, and either 3 WR or 2 WR and 1 RB/WR flex. Again, it varies from person to person on preferences.

For football dynasty leagues, usually leagues just add bench spots to account for all the young, developing players that are now worth roster spots. It's typical to take the number of starters and add a few spots to get the number of bench spots you want. I prefer to have more bench spots in dynasties, but it's all personal preference. Roster size depends on your starting lineup. I'm in a few dynasty leagues that start 9 players, and we have 22 players on our roster, just to give you an idea.

One thing about the size of the league: it's always a challenge to find active owners. I've had to replace owners in just about all of the leagues I've run, and none of them are above 12 people. I'd try to keep the number smaller just so you're not constantly replacing inactive owners.

Good luck with your league and if you have any more questions, either I or another person can answer it. Don't hesitate to send me a pm if you feel urged to. ;-D

BTW, you might wanna delete your other post; the mods get kinda annoyed at people that post the same thing more than once.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 pm

I think steelerfan513 covered most of the basics with football dynasties, but I wanted to comment further on the farm system concept.

You typically don't see that in football leagues, but if you like that sort of thing, it would certainly add a twist to your league format. Typically, you just have to stash young players on your bench, but you also have the option to throw them into your lineup any given week.

I think it would be interesting to give teams a developmental squad (maybe a maximum of one player at each major position - no kickers or team defenses). Then make them designate players onto the developmental squad before the season starts and not allow them to bring them off until the next season. Some teams would have some tough decisions to make when they have to figure out how much a young player will get to play and then evaluate how much production to expect from them.

As for the requirements for taking them off the developmental squad, it is up to you, but I don't know that I would even make a requirement. That type of rule is designed to keep teams from hoarding players. A team would have to be absolutely stacked to have a decent player stashed away on their developmental team when they were putting up fantasy numbers of any value. The fact that you can't touch them all year would keep most owners from trying to hoard players.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

developmental League

Postby Darth Vader » Wed May 23, 2007 12:34 pm

I agree with everything you said so far.
I am going to add a 3 man developmental squad with the final three spots in the draft (16th, 17th, and 18th rounds for us). the teams must keep all 3 players through the entire year. If you decide to keep one then they will be drafted 2rounds ahead in the next years draft.

Ex 16th pick 2007 Troy Smith
if you decide to keep him he will be your 14th round pick in

++we had 14 people in our non dynasty league, It was a little crowded. I think 10 is optimal, 12 is good with 2 divisions.
Darth Vader
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner