draft day! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Green Bay Packers

draft day!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dgan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Crosby was the best value the Packers got either day. I didn't watch much the second day and when I checked back during the 7th round and saw we got Crosby in the 6th, I couldn't believe it. Dude does have a rocket leg and is pretty darn accurate inside 40 yards.

I'm sure he's used to the inclement weather also, so I'm liking this kid. He may be just a kicker, but Longwell won a lot of games for us over the years.

I can understand Denver targeting Harrell because they were picking at 21 and they desperately needed Dline help. Dline was actually a strength for us (surprisingly) last year...I mean, when you're paying someone $8 million bucks to be a situational pass rusher, I think you've got some depth there.

I think he'll be a good solid player, and I don't have a problem with picking him. I just have a problem picking him with Reggie Nelson on the board, which was an enormous need for us and the perfect cover safety that we are lacking. There's no way you can tell me that Harrell was that much higher on the draft board than Nelson that you couldn't have traded down to Tennessee who must have been dying to snag Leon Hall as he slipped down in the draft. We still could have gotten Harrell or Nelson at 19, and maybe we could have picked up a third round pick or something in the process.

I just don't get it...I understand you may not get the best value in a trade, but to reach that far for a guy is essentially giving away any pick you could have gotten even in a "bad" trade.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Teck » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Ted reaches a lot. Reached for Harrel, Reached for Jennings last year, and reached for that other receiver this year out of San Jose State. I think Crosby will be our kicked almost right out of the start, I've seen the kid kick in game and in the competition that ESPN held. The kid can boot. I just really wish the pack would have picked up a vet. receiver in FA to go along driver just for a year or two until jennings fully develops.

It's sad when you look on ESPN's ticker and see our biggest gain in FA this year was Frank Walker.

We also didn't do a thing about a TE in this draft or Free Agency.

:-t
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dgan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:29 am

Teck wrote:It's sad when you look on ESPN's ticker and see our biggest gain in FA this year was Frank Walker.

We also didn't do a thing about a TE in this draft or Free Agency.

:-t

Yup. Another season with Bubba Franks being a total non-threat and Manuel blowing coverages and missing tackles. Can't wait... :-t

I'm actually not concerned about WR...I'm not sure why a lot of people are. Driver is a proven #1, although not the stereo-typical type of #1. Jennings was a rookie and banged up much of last year and should really improve this year. Koren Robinson should be helpful in spot duty if he stays sober. Ferguson will never be great, but he knows Favre and the offense and fills in nicely for short stretches. Holiday and Bodiford both showed some nice skills, and Clowney does have good speed.

Of all the positions we need to improve, WR was low on my list. That said, though, we had a better 4th round pick than New England...how in the heck do they get Moss and we don't?

The whole thing just sucks. :-t :-P :*) :~(
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 am

I feel y'all, but Moss refused to restructure his contract for us. He would only do that for NE. He didn't want to come here. It's not to say TT didn't try to get him in here, it's that he was worried if we picked up his big contract he would just fester in the locker room. He wants to play for the Pats, so that's where he went.

As for Harrel, it's not a flashy pick, but he's a good player. With our D-line from right to left looking like this...
Cullen Jenkins
Ryan Pickett
Justin Harrel
Aaron Kampman

I think we have one of the strongest all around lines in the NFL. KGB can come in on passing downs for Jenkins and generate a pass rush in a situation he can actually handle (1 down at a time)

I think we picked up some Ted Thompson guys in the draft. Nobody was excited about the Collins pick when it happened, nobody was excited about the Greg Jennings pick when it happened. I think James Jones could be good. Obviously TT saw something he liked.

As for those LBs, I doubt they'll make an impression except on special teams (where they will be great) and we'll go in with Poppinga, Barnett and Hawk. The other guys are Special Teamers. I actually heard that we might switch DeShawn Wynn to FB/RB tweener guy, and Corey Hall will project to FB for the future (he's fast at 4.73).

Stay optimistic, our team is no worse and probably better than last year with our improving line on both sides of the ball.

Here's a nice link
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=598477
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:48 pm

I really was dissapointed with our draft this year. I dont think Harrel was a horrible pick, but with reggie nelson on the board, i dont know what TT was thinking. Also, there were better backs to bad had, I would have rather seen them stay where they were in the 2nd and take Irons, but whatever.

What bothers me is that with favre coming back, you would think they would put together a team to win NOW. they failed to do that.

to be totally honest, I would have rather seen them take brady quinn at 16 than harrel, but wahtever

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreenBay4Life » Wed May 02, 2007 5:00 am

guys we just need to wait to june 1st cuts and see who is out there. there still is time to get a decent FA.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Thu May 03, 2007 1:25 am

If anyone heard Jim Rome today, he had the Browns GM on talking about all the teams they tried to trade with to get into the first round to grab Quinn. Said they tried to trade with Green Bay to get Quinn...I would pay to know what they offered.

I guarantee you it was worth more than frickin' Harrell.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby GreenBay4Life » Thu May 03, 2007 1:01 pm

is was definetly their 1st for next yr and there 2nd this yr. which would have been a great deal but dealing out of the 1st yr would not have helped us this yr. plus harrell would have been gone if we tried to trade back into the late first rd.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:22 pm

dgan wrote:If anyone heard Jim Rome today, he had the Browns GM on talking about all the teams they tried to trade with to get into the first round to grab Quinn. Said they tried to trade with Green Bay to get Quinn...I would pay to know what they offered.

I understand you're upset about the pick, but at the position it wasn't a bad pick. I think it was a good pick. All the "Experts" thought Harrell was a late first early second, but middle first was his true value. Had he not been injured some thought he was a top 10 pick (that's a big if I realize, but just some context). Harrell was the only defensive player on the board who has the chance to be Elite, but also showed good attitude and work ethic.

Mike McCarthy has stressed the importance of both sides of the line, and Harrell fits into that plan.

We all wish (I think even Ted Thompson) we had gotten a playmaker like Jarrett or Sidney Rice at 47, but they were gobbled up right before our pick.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dgan » Thu May 03, 2007 10:12 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
dgan wrote:If anyone heard Jim Rome today, he had the Browns GM on talking about all the teams they tried to trade with to get into the first round to grab Quinn. Said they tried to trade with Green Bay to get Quinn...I would pay to know what they offered.

I understand you're upset about the pick, but at the position it wasn't a bad pick. I think it was a good pick. All the "Experts" thought Harrell was a late first early second, but middle first was his true value. Had he not been injured some thought he was a top 10 pick (that's a big if I realize, but just some context). Harrell was the only defensive player on the board who has the chance to be Elite, but also showed good attitude and work ethic.

Mike McCarthy has stressed the importance of both sides of the line, and Harrell fits into that plan.

We all wish (I think even Ted Thompson) we had gotten a playmaker like Jarrett or Sidney Rice at 47, but they were gobbled up right before our pick.

I'm not upset about the pick.....for a rebuilding team. What I'm upset about is that we are going to go through a rebuilding phase once Favre retires. I would rather make a push now then just resign ourselves to trying to win in 2011. I think Packer fans are ok with rebuilding and dealing with some poor seasons. But we are so young and talented right now that a couple key players would put us into contention in the weak NFC.

The fact that it seems we are not even trying to go that route tells me we won't be a serious contender until Rodgers is our QB...then we still won't be good enough, and we'll have to continue to wait anyway.

But whatever. I'm slowly facing reality that I may be 35 before the Packers win another playoff game...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Green Bay Packers