Help with a job?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Help with a job??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help with a job??

Postby sammyj1404 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:11 pm

this is totally random, but as i am approaching the end of my junior year in college, with an internship lined up for this summer at a bank, but a very strong interest in sports, i was just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips/suggestions/ideas/anything on possible jobs out there that involve business in the world of sports. obviously there is stuff like being an agent, owning teams, ESPN, stuff like that, but i feel like u have to have a hookup or an "in" to get a job like that. i'm dying to work with sports when i graduate, im majoring in finance and minoring in spanish. just wondering if any of u had any ideas for me. thanks!

**i know this is really random but i might as well try
sammyj1404
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help with a job??

Postby treat24 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:21 pm

sammyj1404 wrote:this is totally random, but as i am approaching the end of my junior year in college, with an internship lined up for this summer at a bank, but a very strong interest in sports, i was just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips/suggestions/ideas/anything on possible jobs out there that involve business in the world of sports. obviously there is stuff like being an agent, owning teams, ESPN, stuff like that, but i feel like u have to have a hookup or an "in" to get a job like that. i'm dying to work with sports when i graduate, im majoring in finance and minoring in spanish. just wondering if any of u had any ideas for me. thanks!

with that spanish maybe "we will need you when we play baseball, or maybe if we box" (carell, the office)

to answer your question though, I have no idea and no hookups for you.. :( sorry
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Help with a job??

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:57 pm

sammyj1404 wrote:this is totally random, but as i am approaching the end of my junior year in college, with an internship lined up for this summer at a bank, but a very strong interest in sports, i was just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips/suggestions/ideas/anything on possible jobs out there that involve business in the world of sports. obviously there is stuff like being an agent, owning teams, ESPN, stuff like that, but i feel like u have to have a hookup or an "in" to get a job like that. i'm dying to work with sports when i graduate, im majoring in finance and minoring in spanish. just wondering if any of u had any ideas for me. thanks!

Yes there are a ton. The pay is generally lower... but if it's what you enjoy.

There are teams of course, but most of the jobs can be found on the vendor side.

If your minoring in Spanish, Major League Soccer??? Could be a nice fit.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sammyj1404 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:11 pm

im not huge on soccer. i never played it and don't know much about it. i was thinking it could be pretty cool to be an agent for baseball players from cuba or dominican republic or something like that. but like i said, i feel like u have to have a hookup to become big like that. but hey, i can always dream right?
sammyj1404
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm not exactly sure, but aren't a large percentage of sports agents affiliated with one of the few large firms? I think it's kinda rare to find an independent agent nowadays, or at least any successful ones.

Maybe you should strike up a close friendship with a promising athlete at your school. :-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:27 pm

beanoX3 wrote:I'm not exactly sure, but aren't a large percentage of sports agents affiliated with one of the few large firms? I think it's kinda rare to find an independent agent nowadays, or at least any successful ones.

Maybe you should strike up a close friendship with a promising athlete at your school. :-?

Unfortunately there aren't many where we go to school :-b
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Yeah, unfortuanately you almost have to have a hookup to get into the financial side of most major sports, but you could try a baseball scout...? :-?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:25 pm

I'm getting a dual degree in sport management and finance and I can tell you that it's about connections. Get to know your classmates and people in the classes that you do take and stay in touch with them. Get an internship with something involving sports, everyone in the sports industry has them and most colleges require them for graduation (don't expect to get paid for the internship). Go to the career fairs that are offered in big cities, most of the major sports teams hire at those.

Just be prepared to work A LOT of hours at the start for very little pay in the sport industry, that's the nature of the job. Everyone works a ton of hours but when you start out you usually don't get paid as you should (and sometimes you don't get paid at all).

And if you get an in with any major sports team, shake every hand you can, smile at every person you can and work as hard as you can because there's no way you move up unless you do those things. It's not about who you know, it's about who knows you...
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:08 pm

There isn't really anything I can suggest specifically, but starting low and working your way up is really the only shot you have without a "hookup" as you said. Just keep an eye out, look around the sports world for jobs, and maybe something will catch your attention. Best of luck.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:20 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:I'm not exactly sure, but aren't a large percentage of sports agents affiliated with one of the few large firms? I think it's kinda rare to find an independent agent nowadays, or at least any successful ones.

Unfortunately there aren't many where we go to school :-b

I don't know Longy, I know hockey at least has quiet a few...Ryan Jones, Guerin, Zatkoff, ect...Our last what 2 or 3 QB's have gotten Superbowl rings...and we can turn out some decent WRs...so...you could always start there if you wanted.

But the minoring in Spanish is huge, theres such a need for bilingual workers out there, maybe contact some organizations down in Florida or Out West in California. Never hurts to try.

Also you might want to try contact the Columbus Blue Jackets, theres at least one contact, I can think of off the top of my head thats affiliated with them that reside in Oxford.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Next

Return to General Talk