Banks Try Charm to Deter Robbers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Banks Try Charm to Deter Robbers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Banks Try Charm to Deter Robbers

Postby sox 06 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm

It would be funny to see a situation like this :-b

SEATTLE (AP) - What's the best way to make a bank robber turn around and walk out the door empty-handed? Try a handshake and a smile.

Excessive friendliness is the key to the "Safecatch" system created by FBI Special Agent Larry Carr. The premise is that an overdose of courtesy will unnerve would-be robbers and get them to rethink the crime.

"If you're a legitimate customer, you think, 'This is the friendliest person I've met in my life.'

" 'If you're a bad guy, it scares the lights out of you," said Drew Ness, a vice-president of Bellevue-based First Mutual Bank, who advocates the approach.

Carr, who has taught the method to employees at 16 Washington banks over the last few years, credits the system in part for the drop in Seattle bank robberies from 80 in the first three months of 2006 to 44 during the same period this year. On Tuesday, he ran a training session for employees at a First Mutual branch in Seattle.

The method is a sharp contrast to the traditional training for bank employees confronted with a suspicious person, which advises not approaching the person, and at most, activating an alarm or dropping an exploding dye pack into the cash.

When a man walked into a First Mutual branch last year wearing garden gloves and sunglasses, manager Scott Taffera greeted him heartily, invited him to remove the glasses, and guided him to an equally friendly teller. The man eventually asked for a roll of quarters and left.

Carr said he suspects the man was the "Garden Glove Bandit," who robbed area banks between March 2004 and November 2006.

Carr stressed that employees should never put themselves in danger, and they should comply with any demands made by an armed robber.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:22 pm

I have not always been a decent, upstanding citizen. I am ashamed to say that as a teenager I had a career as a shoplifter. I stole many things from many stores in my "career," and I did it with a smile and a friendly handshake whenever I could. I would even go so far as to point out to the sales clerks the ripped-up packages I created when I took the item I wanted. I was bold, brazen and beyond being scared by anything like this.

And really, I was nothing special when it came to shoplifting.

So I personally think this program, while a good idea, won't deter many bank robbers. If you're going to rob a bank, a handshake won't stop you.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:27 pm

Eh, it might stop an extremely nervous first-timer or a stupid impulse crook. I would think that a bank robber who has a bunch of successful robberies under his belt is just going to think that his day went real easy if the bank manager cheerfully shook his hand while handing him a bag of money.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Karoz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:33 pm

I believe MAD TV created a skit based entirely upon this concept.

I agree with Knapp's opinion entirely. Once someone goes into a bank with the intention of robbing it, then in their mind, they have passed the point of no return. If they are robbing the bank as a result of dire circumstances in their life, then walking out of the bank won't erase those problems. Most people build up a lot of nerve before doing something such as this, so having someone smile at you and politely shake your hand will have absolutely no chance of changing your mindset.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Now that they are told that these banks are doing this they can prepare for it.

Imagine that, having people in customer service acting nice and polite....maybe they should try it with non-criminals as well ;-7

knapp = }:-)
Last edited by dream_017 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:44 pm

I worked as a teller at a bank last summer and that was one of the first thing they taught us. We were supposed to look at everyone as they came in and smile and say "I'll be right with you", especially if they look suspicious. It's an interesting concept and I see how it could deter robbers that are unsure of themselves. But I can't see it stopping anyone that is actually good at what they do.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby m16a » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:51 pm

Interesting concept. I find a Lando Calrissian quote perfect for the situation

"Play big, win big, lose big"

My point being, this is a bold idea. It will either work VERY well or not even faze the robber.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:09 pm

m16a wrote:Interesting concept. I find a Lando Calrissian quote perfect for the situation

My point being, this is a bold idea. It will either work VERY well or not even faze the robber.

Actually, that doesn't apply here. What do they have to lose? :-?

At the worst, they are actually friendly to people.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:20 pm

I was personally involved in a bank robbery a few months back and had a gun pointed in my face. It's pretty hard to shake hands with someone when they are telling you to open the vault (I had a suit on). The guy was pretty polite though I will give him that. When he saw that I had my head sideways on the floor instead of "nose down" he called me "sir" when he asked me to "please" lie face first on the ground.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:41 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
m16a wrote:Interesting concept. I find a Lando Calrissian quote perfect for the situation

Actually, that doesn't apply here. What do they have to lose? :-?

At the worst, they are actually friendly to people.

:-b Yeah I'm not sure the quote worked here, but good try ;-D

dream_017 wrote:Imagine that, having people in customer service acting nice and polite...

Yeah this is what I thought was so bizarre about this. What a novel idea, implementing a system where the employees are actually nice to customers. I wish more businesses would try that.

:-b
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk