Banks Try Charm to Deter Robbers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Banks Try Charm to Deter Robbers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:59 am

Hmmm....maybe they should be nice and friendly to the paying customers, not only the robbers.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:37 pm

knapplc wrote:I have not always been a decent, upstanding citizen. I am ashamed to say that as a teenager I had a career as a shoplifter. I stole many things from many stores in my "career," and I did it with a smile and a friendly handshake whenever I could. I would even go so far as to point out to the sales clerks the ripped-up packages I created when I took the item I wanted. I was bold, brazen and beyond being scared by anything like this.

And really, I was nothing special when it came to shoplifting.

So I personally think this program, while a good idea, won't deter many bank robbers. If you're going to rob a bank, a handshake won't stop you.

Disagree pretty strongly with this actually. I had gotten into shoplifting pretty bad when I was younger. Got pretty out of hand with how brazen (and good at it) I got with some friends. Anyway, my ways are mended. One thing we always did was aovid trying it in stores with good customer service. It's unnerving because you do know what you are up to, but you don't know if they know. And paying attention to all customers is key, because it doesn't give would be shoplifters a window of opportunity.

In regards to bank robbers, it might not be that effective on the professional-type. But I could see a newbie being VERY unnerved, and second guessing things because he might be paranoid like "they know something I don't."
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby treat24 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:40 pm

yeah, i ran a video store for 6 years... when we started saying hi and making eye contact with every customer when they walked in the door our thefts dropped...

i'm not saying this will translate to bank robberies... but the is something to it...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:07 pm

eaglesrule wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have not always been a decent, upstanding citizen. I am ashamed to say that as a teenager I had a career as a shoplifter. I stole many things from many stores in my "career," and I did it with a smile and a friendly handshake whenever I could. I would even go so far as to point out to the sales clerks the ripped-up packages I created when I took the item I wanted. I was bold, brazen and beyond being scared by anything like this.

And really, I was nothing special when it came to shoplifting.

So I personally think this program, while a good idea, won't deter many bank robbers. If you're going to rob a bank, a handshake won't stop you.

Disagree pretty strongly with this actually.

:-?

You disagree with my personal experience? Are you saying what I said happened didn't happen?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:13 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I was personally involved in a bank robbery a few months back and had a gun pointed in my face. It's pretty hard to shake hands with someone when they are telling you to open the vault (I had a suit on). The guy was pretty polite though I will give him that. When he saw that I had my head sideways on the floor instead of "nose down" he called me "sir" when he asked me to "please" lie face first on the ground.

That is crazy. Do you know if the cops caught the robbers?
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:09 am

Kensat30 wrote:I was personally involved in a bank robbery a few months back and had a gun pointed in my face. It's pretty hard to shake hands with someone when they are telling you to open the vault (I had a suit on). The guy was pretty polite though I will give him that. When he saw that I had my head sideways on the floor instead of "nose down" he called me "sir" when he asked me to "please" lie face first on the ground.

Well at least since he was nice it makes it all okay ;-7 . JP

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk