Homeland Security to find Pepperoni Thiefs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Homeland Security to find Pepperoni Thiefs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Homeland Security to find Pepperoni Thiefs

Postby sox 06 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:54 am

REDCLIFF, Alta. (CP) - Alberta RCMP are thanking U.S. Homeland Security officials for helping them nab a pair who pilfered a large amount of pepperoni.

Mounties say they got a call Thursday about a break and enter at Premium Sausage in Seven Persons, in southeastern Alberta.

They say that someone had smashed the front door and stolen a "large quantity" of beef jerky, sausage and pepperoni.

They then found a stolen truck with the stolen meat inside, but the culprits had fled on foot.

Later in the day, they arrested two teenagers in a wooded area with the help of an American aircraft with an infrared camera.

They say Medicine Hat police, conservation officers, Rural Crime Watch and concerned citizens all helped track down the teens.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Postby m16a » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:46 am

Is the stealing of some pepperoni and beef jerky such a bad thing that they bring in aircraft and infrared heat sensors to find them? Make no mistake, I'm NOT saying the stealing was a good thing or that it was justified.. Couldn't they just use normal means and not something usually used for hunting runaways?
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:01 am

m16a wrote:Is the stealing of some pepperoni and beef jerky such a bad thing that they bring in aircraft and infrared heat sensors to find them? Make no mistake, I'm NOT saying the stealing was a good thing or that it was justified.. Couldn't they just use normal means and not something usually used for hunting runaways?


How else were they to find them? What they did didn't cause harm to anybody and I am sure it wasn't more expensive than having ground crews looking for days, etc. If they used an aircraft with infrared, it wouldn't take them very long at all probably.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Postby m16a » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
m16a wrote:Is the stealing of some pepperoni and beef jerky such a bad thing that they bring in aircraft and infrared heat sensors to find them? Make no mistake, I'm NOT saying the stealing was a good thing or that it was justified.. Couldn't they just use normal means and not something usually used for hunting runaways?


How else were they to find them? What they did didn't cause harm to anybody and I am sure it wasn't more expensive than having ground crews looking for days, etc. If they used an aircraft with infrared, it wouldn't take them very long at all probably.


I guess the time thing was a factor. I guess that was probably the best course to go. Just a little expensive to me.
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:11 am

m16a wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:
m16a wrote:Is the stealing of some pepperoni and beef jerky such a bad thing that they bring in aircraft and infrared heat sensors to find them? Make no mistake, I'm NOT saying the stealing was a good thing or that it was justified.. Couldn't they just use normal means and not something usually used for hunting runaways?


How else were they to find them? What they did didn't cause harm to anybody and I am sure it wasn't more expensive than having ground crews looking for days, etc. If they used an aircraft with infrared, it wouldn't take them very long at all probably.


I guess the time thing was a factor. I guess that was probably the best course to go. Just a little expensive to me.

Yeah, but that's the point. I doubt it was that much more expensive. It's not like they had to buy the helicopter and infrared detector. I mean, they already had the stuff, so why not use it. Better than wondering around in the woods for hours or a day or two. ;-D
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 am

At the risk of sounding a bit jaded, I don't see how the theft of some pepperoni and sausage was such a priority for the police. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but involving a Homeland Security plane just sounds like gross overkill and a waste of resources. What about a simple K-9 unit?

Now, I might take everything I say back if it comes out that the plane was already loitering out there and some clever Mountie realized that he could radio the plane and tell them to keep an eye out for two idiots crashing through the forest.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5971
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 am

Sounds like someone had the munchies. :-b
Image


Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 12770
Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Having a coffee at the fantasy cafe.

Postby sox 06 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:44 am

I agree that the faster they found the guys the better but this just seemed a bit extreme to me.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:27 am

Maybe the teenagers were trying to break the world's record for largest pizza. Maybe we should be exploring motives before we go all crazy about stuff like this. I blame Canada. ;-7
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1266
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 2:23 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact