Official Madden 08 Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Official Madden 08 Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Official Madden 08 Thread

Postby niblet » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:53 pm

I've always liked 2K more than Madden.

After you play 2K for a while, and you start to play Madden, it feels like absolute crap. Not to mention the huge heads and shoulder pads...
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:29 pm

I usually like the Madden soundtracks, or have so in the past...I'm surprised I recognize 12 of the artists on the soundtrack..its usually closer to like..2 or 1 max.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Ugh, I never have and never will understand the hype surrounding the 2K series. 2k5 was their best effort and it was mediocre at best. The franchise mode in 2k5 is an absolute joke, and the gameplay feels floaty and unresponsive.

I'm not saying Madden doesn't have it's problems, but it's head and shoulders better than the 2k series. I can't really comment on all pro 2k8 because i don't have a ps3 or 360, but the reviews I hear about it are lukewarm. No franchise mode at all in it combined with the fact that it's not licensed doesn't make it sound to appealing to me.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:30 pm

bagobonez wrote:Ugh, I never have and never will understand the hype surrounding the 2K series. 2k5 was their best effort and it was mediocre at best. The franchise mode in 2k5 is an absolute joke, and the gameplay feels floaty and unresponsive.

I'm not saying Madden doesn't have it's problems, but it's head and shoulders better than the 2k series. I can't really comment on all pro 2k8 because i don't have a ps3 or 360, but the reviews I hear about it are lukewarm. No franchise mode at all in it combined with the fact that it's not licensed doesn't make it sound to appealing to me.

Agreed. I played 2K at my friends house once and I didn't like it at all. I think a lot of it's success came from it being $20, not because of the game itself. It's pretty cool a major sports franchise would actually sell their game for $20, but the game fit the price tag IMO.
teddy ballgame
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thebigsmooth » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:49 am

Free Bagel wrote:
terpfan wrote:If we can get fantasy drafts, in depth editing, accurate rosters, and gang tackling (WILL be in the game!!) I will be pretty happy.

You mean if we can get BACK fantasy drafts, in-depth editing, and accurate rosters as things that were in the game for half a decade already ;)

joelamosobadiah wrote:Yeah, I have seen NOTHING that makes me be wary of this year's version.

How about last year's game? Seeing that makes me very wary of this year's...

joelamosobadiah wrote:I think that the best thing I have heard about this year's version is the fact that the animations don't have to complete. All the animations can be broken at any time.

That sounds like a big improvement to me as well. It used to be pretty annoying when you would have four guys in front of the ball carrier only to have him go into the break tackle animation of one of them and the other 3 guys dive or run past him when he was "invincible" because he was in that animation.

Forgive me fior not reading the whole post, but I thought I heard that at least on the 360 there will be fantasy drafts? Correct me if I am wrong.
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:22 pm

thebigsmooth wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
terpfan wrote:If we can get fantasy drafts, in depth editing, accurate rosters, and gang tackling (WILL be in the game!!) I will be pretty happy.

You mean if we can get BACK fantasy drafts, in-depth editing, and accurate rosters as things that were in the game for half a decade already ;)

joelamosobadiah wrote:Yeah, I have seen NOTHING that makes me be wary of this year's version.

How about last year's game? Seeing that makes me very wary of this year's...

joelamosobadiah wrote:I think that the best thing I have heard about this year's version is the fact that the animations don't have to complete. All the animations can be broken at any time.

That sounds like a big improvement to me as well. It used to be pretty annoying when you would have four guys in front of the ball carrier only to have him go into the break tackle animation of one of them and the other 3 guys dive or run past him when he was "invincible" because he was in that animation.

Forgive me fior not reading the whole post, but I thought I heard that at least on the 360 there will be fantasy drafts? Correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct. Everything I read says there will be fantasy drafts.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:58 am

bagobonez wrote:Ugh, I never have and never will understand the hype surrounding the 2K series. 2k5 was their best effort and it was mediocre at best. The franchise mode in 2k5 is an absolute joke, and the gameplay feels floaty and unresponsive.

I liked NFL 2K5 for PS2, it wasn't anything great, but I thought it was pretty good. I played the demo of the All Pro 2K8 game on my 360 and I thought it was absolutely horrible, one of the worst demos/games I have played in my life.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thebigsmooth » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 pm

That is correct. Everything I read says there will be fantasy drafts.

I am pretty much buying it just for that. Now I just need a couple of my buddies to get it to play online.
Last edited by thebigsmooth on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
thebigsmooth
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Manja » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:28 am

teddy ballgame wrote:

Agreed. I played 2K at my friends house once and I didn't like it at all. I think a lot of it's success came from it being $20, not because of the game itself. It's pretty cool a major sports franchise would actually sell their game for $20, but the game fit the price tag IMO.

I believe the people who praise the 2k football series are the ones that used to play it on Dreamcast, back when it was just as good as Madden. Madden's taken leaps and bounds ever since 2002, the last time 2k was better than Madden.

(but, I still think that 2K basketball series is far superior to EA's.. )
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:16 am

Madden >> 2K Football
EA NHL <<<<< 2K Hockey
EA baseball < 2k Baseball
NBA live = NBA 2k (both are good in their own ways)

Anyway, I'll probably get Madden 08 for the old Xbox. Still don't own a 360 or PS3 and don't really see a reason to unless Madden 08 gets the best reviews ever for a madden game.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games