Official Madden 08 Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Official Madden 08 Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Official Madden 08 Thread

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:22 pm

terpfan wrote:
mystykoekaki wrote:Hello all, I've been playing Madden since the 2004 edition, everytime I played it on a SONY console (psx/ps2). I really want to get Madden but I don't have enough $$$$ to buy the game and a PS3, I have a xbox 360 but I remembered last time in the 2007 edition it was missing ALOT of features and the conrols were retarded (at least to me since I'm use to the PS2 controls). Is there a way to switch the controls in the 360 edition? If so, can you make them just like the PS2 controls?

The 360 verison isnt missing any features that I know of. And yes, you can switch the controls. I already have.

Nope, the 2007 edition was missing features, I don't know about the 2008 edition. And thanks for answering the question.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:08 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:
terpfan wrote:
mystykoekaki wrote:Hello all, I've been playing Madden since the 2004 edition, everytime I played it on a SONY console (psx/ps2). I really want to get Madden but I don't have enough $$$$ to buy the game and a PS3, I have a xbox 360 but I remembered last time in the 2007 edition it was missing ALOT of features and the conrols were retarded (at least to me since I'm use to the PS2 controls). Is there a way to switch the controls in the 360 edition? If so, can you make them just like the PS2 controls?

The 360 verison isnt missing any features that I know of. And yes, you can switch the controls. I already have.

Nope, the 2007 edition was missing features, I don't know about the 2008 edition. And thanks for answering the question.

Yeah I meant the 2008 edition wasnt missing anything. 07 definitely was.

By the way I just thought of a handful of more complaints.

- Punt return is the default play selected at the start of every new drive on defense.

- Madden tells you to punt from your opponents 31. The CPU punts from this distance as well. WTF?

- DTs sometimes forget they are DTs and lineup at LB, or even more hilariously at CB.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:33 pm

One thing I do like about this year is that you actually can return a punt. And Terp, why the hell are you punting anyways? Don't you know in madden you always go for it? :-b
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:07 am

I'll throw my thoughts into the fire as well. This is mostly focuses on the online play. Just my post from another board ripped and posted here.

I've been a pretty hardcore Madden guy in the past, and just finished some games online and unfortunately my thoughts on this are not good.

-The game is sluggggissshhhh and clunky online. I think this year the D only gets 5 seconds to pick their play after the offense picks theirs (and shows their formation). The sluggish playcall menu mixed with the sluggish online play means that once they pick their formation even if you know EXACTLY what play you want it can be a struggle to get to it in time, heaven forbid you have to actually think about it for a sec. Even worse is that you can't see anything of your opponent (like which formation they're currently looking through plays in) to "mirror" your upcoming selection to theirs. If it's 4th and 7 you have no idea whether they're going to go for it or kick and the special teams and nickel menus are far enough apart that if you "guess" wrong sometimes you can't make it to the proper play in time.

-Turnovers (and the defense in general) are hella-crazy. I fancy myself a pretty good Madden player over the years and even I had trouble moving the ball. My last game we had a defensive slugfest until he actually tried to start throwing and my defense blew it open. In the end I won 38-0 with the following stats...

Total offense: 161
Passing: 7-15 for 75yds 1td 2int
Rushing: 36 carries for 91 yards (under 3ypc)

Pretty ugly, huh? Not exactly what you expect to see with a 38-0 victory. Except that my opponent had 68 total yards and 9 turnovers. This game is totally just about playing super conservative on offense and letting the defense win. I had the Broncos D with their super-secondary and all I had to do was sit in man coverage all game long. Champ Bailey had 3 INTs returned for TDs and I dare say he was only in position to pick the ball off on maybe one of them. On one play my opponent through a quick slant (very quickly after snapping the ball) and my MIDDLE LINEBACKER who was playing a middle zone leaped to the side and picked it off. Wtf? With crazy warp-like interceptions all I had to do was sit back in man, and only minor blitzes were necessary (and only occasionally) as the O-line AI just let my guys run by a couple times to slam the QB right after the snap.

The turnovers aren't just a matter of people making bad reads and whatnot (though that certainly doesn't help). There were tons of circumstances where my guy looked beat when the QB threw the ball and my player ended up picking it off. Fumbles seem to be way over the top even without using the juke/highlight stick maneuvers, which I basically retired from using for a couple whole games just as a study and didn't see fumbles decrease at all.

-Gang tackling is cool, but very poorly implemented (more like gang hitting, the second guy never wraps up and the first guy just bounces off - it's very herky-jerky and unreallistic looking) and actually takes away from the game I think. RBs never fall forward in-between the tackles leaving YPCs under 3 most games.

-Kicking takes some getting used to online. Because of the sluggishness the kicking meter is irrelevant, you have to do it just on timing in your head because the kicking meter is too far behind.

-The one good thing is that the manual catch animations on defense finally seem to be getting close to what they were back in '04. I was able to nab a couple user picks with the safeties.

All in all though, it's bleh. If you have a team with two good CBs you're basically set. Just run the ball and let your defense do the scoring. The CBs will beat the WRs on slants, ins, everything....it's like they're the ones running the route.

Btw Terp, the kickoff thing annoys me too.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby terpfan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:55 am

It's good to see that I'm not the only one having trouble moving the ball, Bagel.

And you're right about gang tackling making it impossible to fall forward between the tackles.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:27 pm

terpfan wrote:It's good to see that I'm not the only one having trouble moving the ball, Bagel.

And you're right about gang tackling making it impossible to fall forward between the tackles.

The one thing about gang-tackling, especially with playing in superstar mode is that if you're the first guy on the tackle, and it turns into a gang tackle, you don't get it, only the second guy does. Even on sacks too, so I think they should atleast try to implement assists but I'm sure there's some problems with programming it.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby terpfan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:39 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:
terpfan wrote:It's good to see that I'm not the only one having trouble moving the ball, Bagel.

The one thing about gang-tackling, especially with playing in superstar mode is that if you're the first guy on the tackle, and it turns into a gang tackle, you don't get it, only the second guy does. Even on sacks too, so I think they should atleast try to implement assists but I'm sure there's some problems with programming it.

Seriously... how do you add gang tackling and not add assists?

I'm considering going back to pro and messing with the sliders. It's not that I'm not winning on All-Pro, but I'm just not moving the ball very well. I'm winning because I get like 5 picks a game... Sigh...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby WickedSmaat » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:20 am

hey terp or anyone on 360, let me know if I'm just looking in the wrong place or something, but in Franchise mode I can't find anywhere to trade players/draft picks and it's kind of bumming me out. I'm just hoping I'm looking in the wrong place :-/

Also, one thing I don't like is where's the chain gang? I loved trying to reach the first down on the sideline and making them dodge me :-b :-/
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby terpfan » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:40 am

WickedSmaat wrote:hey terp or anyone on 360, let me know if I'm just looking in the wrong place or something, but in Franchise mode I can't find anywhere to trade players/draft picks and it's kind of bumming me out. I'm just hoping I'm looking in the wrong place :-/

Also, one thing I don't like is where's the chain gang? I loved trying to reach the first down on the sideline and making them dodge me :-b :-/

Trading is there, I'm pretty sure it's under rosters.

It's funny how sometimes the CPU decides you just arent allowed to win. I just played a game where the computer cheated so much it was hilarious. The CBs were jumping in front of everything and the RB broke every tackle.

The major reason for the all the picks, I've decided, is that the CPU DBs break on the ball the SECOND it comes out of your hand. Obviously unrealistic, and gives DBs who arent covering the guy you are throwing to like two or three extra seconds. Annoying as hell.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:26 am

terpfan wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:hey terp or anyone on 360, let me know if I'm just looking in the wrong place or something, but in Franchise mode I can't find anywhere to trade players/draft picks and it's kind of bumming me out. I'm just hoping I'm looking in the wrong place :-/

Trading is there, I'm pretty sure it's under rosters.

It's funny how sometimes the CPU decides you just arent allowed to win. I just played a game where the computer cheated so much it was hilarious. The CBs were jumping in front of everything and the RB broke every tackle.

The major reason for the all the picks, I've decided, is that the CPU DBs break on the ball the SECOND it comes out of your hand. Obviously unrealistic, and gives DBs who arent covering the guy you are throwing to like two or three extra seconds. Annoying as hell.

So I am assuming either pump fakes don't work either or you don't have enough time to do that?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games