Virginia Tech Tragedy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Virginia Tech Tragedy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Virginia Tech Tragedy

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:50 am

This sucks. I hope nobody we know is hurt/involved...

(CNN) -- One person was killed and several were wounded in two shootings on the Virginia Tech university campus in Blacksburg on Monday, The Associated Press and the university reported.

The AP reported that one person was killed and one wounded in a shooting at a dormitory. Another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported.

There were seven or eight total casualties in the two incidents, AP reported.

"Police have one shooter in custody, and as part of routine police procedure they continue to search for a second shooter," the university said in a written statement.

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of student running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem."

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

The shootings come three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

:-/
Last edited by knapplc on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 am

I know Mugrila goes to school there. Anyone else?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:12 am

Not what I wanted to see when I headed over to CNN.

I know way too many people who go there.

Eight total casualties.
Last edited by SniperShot on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:12 am

WOW, this is a really sad story. I hope those wounded are OK.

And I hope that there are no cafe'rs that were injured or anything. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:13 am

1 dead, 17 wounded?

I hate the word casualties
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:16 am

SniperShot wrote:1 dead, 17 wounded?

I hate the word casualties

Yeah, it sounds as though there may be more dead in the second shooting, but this article didn't say that explicitly. :-/

I sincerely hope not though.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:34 am

The news just got unimaginably worse:

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed, police said.

On the Web site, Tech reported the shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and said there were "multiple victims" at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

All entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

This is awful. Ugh.

Let's just pray that anyone/everyone we know is OK. I know that's selfish, but we have to hope.

I am just sick about this.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby APAP » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 am

Really terrible, total of 22 casualties. Just awful.
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:37 am

WOW, this is totally sickening. So is it now at least two shooters with one dead and the other in custody?

WOW, this is sad....

We can just hope that there aren't more shooters waiting around. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby BGbootha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:38 am

Wow, yeah I just pulled up CNN.com and blam there it is. :,-(
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Next

Return to General Talk