Prom Dresses too Revealing for Prom? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Prom Dresses too Revealing for Prom?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Prom Dresses too Revealing for Prom?

Postby danleroi22 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:20 pm

MARRERO, La. — Dozens of girls were turned away from a prom at Higgins High School because a teacher thought their dresses were too revealing.

Families of the girls said the teacher cited alleged violations of the Jefferson Parish schools dress code, most of them related to excessive display of cleavage.

"I was embarrassed," said Miranda Melerine, 17, a senior at the Marrero high school, who was among those barred by teacher Judy Gardner, an adviser to senior activities. "We can't go back to prom night. Prom's over. Our prom has been stolen from us."

Melerine said she is larger-busted than many of the girls who passed inspection at the door. She said it is harder for her to get the right fit in a prom dress and that Gardner gave her blessing to a picture of the dress long before the dance.

Earlis Fayette, 18, said his girlfriend also was sent away by Gardner at the door.

"I find it's wrong, because you can't help what the girl has. You're born with that," he said. "I think it was discrimination toward a woman who has features."

Gardner refused to talk with parents who rushed to the dance hall Friday night after frantic calls from daughters. She also declined comment Saturday to The Times-Picayune of New Orleans, saying she is not allowed to talk to the press. The Associated Press could not locate her Sunday.

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
Advertisements

But Jefferson Parish schools spokesman Jeff Nowakowski said Gardner did nothing wrong and that the ones in error were girls who showed up with dresses that didn't comply with a district code that says: "A student will not wear clothing that exposes the student's back, chest or midriff."

The policy, which also strictly restricts any use of fishnet or see-through clothing, has been in effect for years and is included in a handbook that parents sign, Nowakowski said.

He said that students who didn't gain admittance Friday night were given a chance to leave and alter their dresses to bring them into compliance, and that some did that.

Twenty to 25 girls "didn't meet the code and so they were turned away because they didn't want to fix the dress in order to come inside," Nowakowski said. "It should have covered the breast, and that's not what happened last night."

Pretty insane. Yes, I believe that girls should wear modest clothing and extreme indecentcy should be turned down, but heck... do they make an extremely modest prom dress these days? :-?
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 pm

That's ridiculous. If you are going to do that, you have to make it clear beforehand what dresses ppl can and cannot wear.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:25 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:That's ridiculous. If you are going to do that, you have to make it clear beforehand what dresses ppl can and cannot wear.

We have a winner! End of thread! ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:56 pm

I just took my daughter shopping for a prom dress. With all that goes into getting ready for the prom, that would be one broken-hearted young lady if she turned away at the door.

As was said, seems some pre-prom guidelines should have been in place. :-t
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I just took my daughter shopping for a prom dress. With all that goes into getting ready for the prom, that would be one broken-hearted young lady if she turned away at the door.

As was said, seems some pre-prom guidelines should have been in place. :-t

Yeah definitely, don't those teachers realize how stupid it looks for them to be turning kids away without having some type of guidelines? Sure, maybe the girls shouldn't have been wearing such "revealing" clothing, but they need to know what's considered "revealing" so they don't go out and buy it.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:44 pm

They should have sent a notice out before the prom warning the girls.
Maybe something like:

This is okay

This is okay

This is NOT

This is NOT

;-7 ;-) :-D

But seriously though - who should decide what is appropriate for young ladies to wear - their parents or their teachers??? Obviously there is a lack of consensus.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby BGbootha » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 pm

stomperrob wrote:But seriously though - who should decide what is appropriate for young ladies to wear - their parents or their teachers??? Obviously there is a lack of consensus.

Yeah there is a lack of consensus. Teachers are asked everyday to teach students morality and right and wrong. We are asked everyday to teach kids about sex and personal hygeine. We are asked everyday to 'parent' our 128 students, yet god forbid we make a decision that parent's don't agree with.

That being said, there was a comment in the article "Gardner gave her blessing to a picture of the dress long before the dance. So yeah they should have been let in without question if it is in fact the same dress that was 'approved' earlier.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 pm

BGbootha wrote:
stomperrob wrote:But seriously though - who should decide what is appropriate for young ladies to wear - their parents or their teachers??? Obviously there is a lack of consensus.

Yeah there is a lack of consensus. Teachers are asked everyday to teach students morality and right and wrong. We are asked everyday to teach kids about sex and personal hygeine. We are asked everyday to 'parent' our 128 students, yet god forbid we make a decision that parent's don't agree with.

That being said, there was a comment in the article "Gardner gave her blessing to a picture of the dress long before the dance. So yeah they should have been let in without question if it is in fact the same dress that was 'approved' earlier.

It's unfortunate in this day and age that teachers get such little backing from parents. Although I have school age kids now, I grew up in a much different era (I graduated H.S. in 1970) where teachers were considered infallible and whatever they said was gospel and they recieved 100% backing from parents (for the most part). I guess I still subscribe to that theory and I tell my kids that the teacher is the boss and whatever he/she says goes and I'd better not get any negative feedback about bevaviour problems in school or giving the teacher attitude. I've also made it clear to their teachers that if they do have a problem to do whatever they see fit.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby maddog60 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:44 pm

When I saw the title, I thought this would be an article about whiny teenagers who want everything their way, rules be damned. But wow, to approve of the dress ahead of time and then deny the girl admittance to the dance is mor than just a slip-up. Its not like anything could be done to rectify the problem that the teacher by her own actions created.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby confused_jake » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:44 pm

Something like this happend at my school, in the first week of school we had a welcome back dance and everyone was dressed inappropriately(it was a jungle theme so you can see how people can get carried away) and were dancing inappropriately and after that our principal banned dances, but later relinquished that ban, after putting up guidelines of what is appropriate to wear at dances. i think this was the right way to go.

On a lighter note. i really like this quote

"I find it's wrong, because you can't help what the girl has. You're born with that," he said. "I think it was discrimination toward a woman who has features."

they arent necessarily born with it. ;-)
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk