Prom Dresses too Revealing for Prom? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Prom Dresses too Revealing for Prom?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 am

I have seen enough teachers do some incredibly stupid things to know they aren't infallible. It's pretty clear to me that the school system doesn't always have a monopoly on insight, at least on social issues that effect school administration. And I do think there is an element of teachers and administrators that takes in loco parentis entirely too far.

I think there is a time and a place for everything, and a freaking prom should be a little more lax. It's not an educational event, it's a social one A) Because evening wear is by its very nature more revealing. B) students actively organize and pay for the prom, and in many instances, while its a school function, its not on school grounds. Granted, I know schools have "jurisdiction" still, but as an optional, social event, they should back off a bit. It's not like they can argue that it is interfering with the lessons or day-to-day administration of the school. And I always find this stuff funny--no one gives a damn about the obscene amount of conspicuous consumption that goes into the prom, just if someone can see a little more skin than usual. Never mind that you can see tons of skin on "family shows" such as Dancing with the Stars or Figure Skating...

The policy should have been in place beforehand, and that's that.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:19 am

In defense of the school... the dress code for the dance has been in effect for 25 years at this particular school. Also, girls were allowed in who DECIDED to correct the condition.

Just put on a jacket or sweater or something... yeah maybe you won't look the coolest, but everyone would understand why.

This is being blown way out of proportion.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 am

eaglesrule wrote:The policy should have been in place beforehand, and that's that.

Apparently it was, and the dress in question was pre-viewed and pre-approved. Then at the door she was told she could not enter wearing the dress.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:34 am

lets get some pics in here!
(as long as they are 18 of course)

In all seriousness though, I would like to see how "revealing" they really are...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:38 am

knapplc wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:The policy should have been in place beforehand, and that's that.

Apparently it was, and the dress in question was pre-viewed and pre-approved. Then at the door she was told she could not enter wearing the dress.

Yes, but was it pre-viewed being worn... a huge difference. It may be hard to know how much stuff is going to stick out unless modeled.

Also, was it approved by the same teacher?

Honestly, I don't know what the dads are thinking sending their daughters to proms with revealing.... I mean, we've all been that prom "guy."
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:57 am

is it still the 1950s? this is ridiculous. so is the mentality of some people. i'd tell them to grow up but they're older than my parents.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby treat24 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:05 am

i say dresses aren't revealing enough... (as long as they're 18) ...

who cares what they wear... geesh... as long as you can't see naughty parts... go for it...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:06 am

Twisted Sister wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Yes, but was it pre-viewed being worn... a huge difference. It may be hard to know how much stuff is going to stick out unless modeled.

Also, was it approved by the same teacher?

Honestly, I don't know what the dads are thinking sending their daughters to proms with revealing.... I mean, we've all been that prom "guy."

You might say I had ulterior motives for taking my daughter
shopping for hers... besides just being a great dad! :-D ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 am

moonhead wrote:is it still the 1950s? this is ridiculous. so is the mentality of some people. i'd tell them to grow up but they're older than my parents.

treat24 wrote:i say dresses aren't revealing enough... (as long as they're 18) ...

who cares what they wear... geesh... as long as you can't see naughty parts... go for it...

Obviously neither of you are parents, and especially not parents of girls.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:24 am

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:is it still the 1950s? this is ridiculous. so is the mentality of some people. i'd tell them to grow up but they're older than my parents.

treat24 wrote:i say dresses aren't revealing enough... (as long as they're 18) ...

Obviously neither of you are parents, and especially not parents of girls.

I don't have a daughter either, but I would imagine I'd be very particular about what mine wore. We were all high school boys at one point or another and know how they think and what they think about.

In the '50s a guy had to wine and dine a lady to see parts of her that are out in the open nowadays. Now a guy just has to go to prom. Thanks to parents a boy has a much better chance of getting some.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk