Prom Dresses too Revealing for Prom? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Prom Dresses too Revealing for Prom?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:is it still the 1950s? this is ridiculous. so is the mentality of some people. i'd tell them to grow up but they're older than my parents.

treat24 wrote:i say dresses aren't revealing enough... (as long as they're 18) ...

who cares what they wear... geesh... as long as you can't see naughty parts... go for it...

Obviously neither of you are parents, and especially not parents of girls.

I don't have a daughter either, but I would imagine I'd be very particular about what mine wore. We were all high school boys at one point or another and know how they think and what they think about.

In the '50s a guy had to wine and dine a lady to see parts of her that are out in the open nowadays. Now a guy just has to go to prom. Thanks to parents a boy has a much better chance of getting some.

no one wants their daughter to have sex. ever. but they are going to. like it or not. if they are prepared, and equipped with the knowledge to keep them safe, hopefully provided by the parents, then that's the best you can hope for. i'm just not naive to the way girls are either. i know i was a high school boy, but generally it takes two to tango. and a freaking dress is not going to keep her off her back. the teachers should just be glad that the kids weren't on drugs.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:07 pm

I don't think not being a parent of a girl precludes me from having an opinion on the subject, as it pertains to public schools.

To me, it seems arbitrary, and pretty cruel--if it was previewed. If these girls followed the rules, then were turned down, I would be spitting nails if I was a parent. Prom ain't cheap.

I just think that sometimes there is a power trip that comes with some school teachers and administrators. And I think its understandable, as you have had to deal with a bunch of wiseacres etc for years. And while I think female style has gotten very slutty, and I wouldn't tolerate it on some day-to-day basis, let's face it, fancy events, especially dances are charged with sexuality, and the clothing has always reflected that.

I think there is a difference between prom and homecoming, etc. And yes, while we all know what boys are like, it seems weird to me in a lot of ways to use that as a basis for argument. Because boys are uncontrollable, YOU can't do what you want? While a male, and I do know how we areat that age, its just not a sufficient reason.

In fact, the only reason I see for this, is that it makes male teachers uncomfortable. And that has merit in the day-to-day operations of a school, but not at a fancy dance paid for by the students, an event that isn't about learning, but coming of age.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:28 pm

moonhead wrote:no one wants their daughter to have sex. ever.

As I said, I don't have a daughter, but I have friends who do and I believe they want grandchildren eventually...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:30 pm

moonhead wrote:no one wants their daughter to have sex. ever. but they are going to. like it or not.

Meh...

Appreciate the perspective, Moon, but it's not always the case. Call me a prude, but I know alot of women who waited. My wife (and she is HOT) :-D , my sister, my mom. And my 17 year old beautiful daughter wears a purity ring and is committed to her future husband, whoever that is. There is a growing movement with girls (and some guys as well, believe it or not) to saving themselves for marriage.

My two cents.

To your credit... most don't wait and I agree with your position on
being safe and responsible. But it's not the best you can hope for.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:46 pm

boo this story :-t i'd like to see this dress in question, because i'm guessing it isnt all that bad except this girl has some big cans causing her cups to runneth over...big deal
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:50 pm

This thread is seriously lacking in pix0rs.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 pm

i'm just partial to boobs. and partial nudity. and nudity. and boobs.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby onnestabe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:56 pm

This is going to be a complicated issue because there will be some people who say it is the parents' responsibility to monitor what their kids wear, and I agree. But there is also the issue that not all parents have the same ideas about what is appropriate (and what's even sadder is that some just don't care). Is it fair to the parents that take their responsibility seriously to let the kids who have lax parents wear whatever they want? I don't think so, so now you are back at square one with school officials dictating what these kids can and can't wear to the prom.

It's great to say that people need to be better parents and teachers shouldn't have to worry about this, but that's an unreasonable expectation to have. School officials are role models and have a big influence on our kids, and I would rather them err on the side of being too strict than being too lenient. At least the teachers care enough to try to mold the students into respectable human beings.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby BGbootha » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:59 pm

onnestabe wrote:This is going to be a complicated issue because there will be some people who say it is the parents' responsibility to monitor what their kids wear, and I agree. But there is also the issue that not all parents have the same ideas about what is appropriate (and what's even sadder is that some just don't care). Is it fair to the parents that take their responsibility seriously to let the kids who have lax parents wear whatever they want? I don't think so, so now you are back at square one with school officials dictating what these kids can and can't wear to the prom.

It's great to say that people need to be better parents and teachers shouldn't have to worry about this, but that's an unreasonable expectation to have. School officials are role models and have a big influence on our kids, and I would rather them err on the side of being too strict than being too lenient. At least the teachers care enough to try to mold the students into respectable human beings.

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:03 pm

moonhead wrote:i'm just partial to boobs. and partial nudity. and nudity. and boobs.

We all are moon. :-° O:-) :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk