10 team league w/ 2 starting QB's??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

10 team league w/ 2 starting QB's???

Moderator: Football Moderators

10 team league w/ 2 starting QB's???

Postby burdsheet » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:31 am

One of the leagues I commish is an 8 team league where we start 2 QB's because there were so many quality QB's available with only 8 teams. It worked out well and made things more interesting. I'm expanding to 10 teams but everyone wants to keep the 2 starting QB aspect to:
1)make it more difficult (or nearer to as difficult as a 12-team league)
2) add a new twist to make this league different than the other leagues they're in.

I like the idea but question whether starting 2 QB's in a 10-team league will create unfairness since there's such a huge drop-off in talent in the middle to lower end of the QB rankings. Not to mention that hardly any QBs start all 16 games. I'm new to this website because my new employer blocks the site I used to use, but I'd really appreciate any opinions on the subject.
thanks!
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:03 pm

Keep what you have success with and expand on it. Thats my policy. before I didn't even have a policy. Now I've got that one. It gives your league a unqiue id theres around 28 starters a week (average, some byes have more, and there are weeks without byes ect) and that would leave 8 possible bench QB/FA QB's that are STARTERS, not to mention people can snag up who they think will be the next big thing at QB but isn't starting currently (Brady, Romo, Palmer, list goes on forever, not that they are all the next big thing or anything)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby burdsheet » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:54 pm

thanks for your thoughts. i'm leaning towards going w/ 2 QBs mostly because everyone in the league wants it... they'll just have to draft smart knowing that there's so few quality QBs to go around.
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby onnestabe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Yeah, 2 QBs just adds a new dimension to the draft and your strategy.

10 teams isn't even as deep as it might seem. There are some 14+ team leagues that use 2 QBs. That's when it starts getting hairy.

Also, if this isn't a keeper league, it really shouldn't be an issue. It would be one thing if it was a keeper league, and the new owners coming in had to pick from the bottom of the QB barrel, but if you draft an entirely new team each year, everyone should be on an equal footing.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby burdsheet » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:32 am

onnestabe wrote:Yeah, 2 QBs just adds a new dimension to the draft and your strategy.

10 teams isn't even as deep as it might seem. There are some 14+ team leagues that use 2 QBs. That's when it starts getting hairy.

Also, if this isn't a keeper league, it really shouldn't be an issue. It would be one thing if it was a keeper league, and the new owners coming in had to pick from the bottom of the QB barrel, but if you draft an entirely new team each year, everyone should be on an equal footing.

Yeah, no keepers so everyone is on equal footing, but 2 QBs does change draft strategies like you said. Last year w/ 8-teams, one guy focused early on RBs & WRs and waited too long for QBs ... he ended up w/ Aaron Brooks and some other mediocre QB .... probably don't need to mention he only posted one win the entire season.
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:53 pm

From my experience (I play in a 10 team league), losing one of your two QBs almost assuredly loses your season. The problem is that even though only 20 QBs are drafted to start on a fantasy team, the other 12 starting QBs (or best prospects) are drafted as backups. Thus, when McNabb goes down with injury, you're best option is normally going to be one of the worst QBs in the league, and that's assuming you even have someone else on your roster who is still a starter.

What our league does to offset this is to eliminate the 2nd QB, and instead create a flex position in which you can start a QB, RB, WR, or TE. Because in most scoring systems, an average QB will generally score more fantasy points than an average or poor RB, it is best to start a 2nd QB if you have one. However, it gives you an alternative to salvage your season if you have an injury or something.

It works unbelievably well, and I encourage any league that wants to increase the value of QBs to consider it. (The downside is that not all online services support this roster format...check before you implement the change.)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:31 am

I see no problem starting 2 QB's in a 10 team league. Every team can draft 3 QB's and there's 2 starters still left over. I have a 10 team league on the cafe (Cafeholics Anonymous) that starts 2QB's/2RB's/4WR's/2TE's/1K/1D. We had no problems at all last year. Besides, when I commish a league I always try to let the league decide what they want the league to do. You said that all (or most) of your owners still want 2 QB's so go for it. If anyone has any concerns, put it up to a vote. That's the best thing to do IMO. Good luck!

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mrblitz » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Bottomline, when it comes to fantasy football. As a Commish, you want to keep all of the teams in unison, as far as all aspects of the league go. If everyone is fine with it, then go for it.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby burdsheet » Fri May 11, 2007 11:33 am

regarding QB depth w/ 10 teams starting 2 QBs, do you think it's a good idea to flex one of the QB positions? I see some teams being short-handed at QB due to injury and BYE weeks. I'd personally shoot for drafting 4 QBs. However, if every team did the same, there wouldn't be enough QBs to go around. I guess flexing a QB spot would give a QB-deficient team a chance at winning even if they lost one of their QBs. Is this unecessary?
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby chidoy » Mon May 14, 2007 9:08 am

I am the commish of a 10 team 2QB league and IMHO, it works fine. I mean there are what? 32 teams? that would equal 3 qb's a team. 4 of our top 10 overall scorers last year were qb's.

It changes how people draft too. our league scoring is structured so that it is a more even playing field. QB's are just as important as a stud RB or stud WR. most standard leagues, the draft goes... RB / RB. then WR or QB with QB"s most likely being drafted late to mid rounds (with exceptions of Peyton/palmer/etc....)

In our league it's based mainly on best player available. So drafting a qb in the first round isn't such a bad thing in our league. If a QB scores in the top 10 overall, wouldn't you consider them a 1st rounder? And if you get Peyton and Palmer and they both score in the top 10 overall, wouldn't you say that's a good draft? It would be easier to get Peyton and Palmer than LT and SJax (you get the idea).
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner