10 team league w/ 2 starting QB's??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

10 team league w/ 2 starting QB's???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dgan » Mon May 14, 2007 11:01 pm

The problem is this: Let's say you draft Brees, Favre, and Leftwich. That seems like a pretty good list. Unfortunately, too often a fourth or even a third of the QBs in the league lose their starting job by midseason due to injury or benching or whatever. So let's say Brees gets hurt and then Leftwich loses his starting job (again). You're stuck. Likely, there isn't another starter available and if you're a good team you'll probably be at the bottom of the waiver wire, and you won't get Brees or Leftwich's replacement. The result is a good team has NO CHANCE to win because they are taking a -0- in one of their roster spots.

I've had this happen to me and I've seen it happen to someone almost every year. QBs are so valued in a 2QB 10team league that smart owners draft every starter and the best backups. So if you lose your guys, there is nothing you can do to replace them.

That's why I like the flex spot. It adds a lot more strategy and keeps teams devastated by injury still with a fighting chance. In fact, the guy that just won our league...I think he only had one guy left on his bench that was still scoring fantasy points. If not for the flex rule, he would not have had a chance.

Either way will work...after all, it is the same for everyone. I'm just saying why I prefer the flex.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Darth Vader » Sat May 26, 2007 10:31 am

There are problems with every system, but the 2 QB league sounds like fun. Everyone will have the same problems. You just have to alter your draft plan to overcome.
Thanks richwyld for the sig
2006 Bourbon Bowl Champion (Cool River 8 Team Keeper)
2006 Cool River 2nd Place (14 Team)
2005 Cool River 8th Place (12 teams)
Darth Vader
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby burdsheet » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:27 am

dgan wrote:The problem is this: Let's say you draft Brees, Favre, and Leftwich. That seems like a pretty good list. Unfortunately, too often a fourth or even a third of the QBs in the league lose their starting job by midseason due to injury or benching or whatever. So let's say Brees gets hurt and then Leftwich loses his starting job (again). You're stuck. Likely, there isn't another starter available and if you're a good team you'll probably be at the bottom of the waiver wire, and you won't get Brees or Leftwich's replacement. The result is a good team has NO CHANCE to win because they are taking a -0- in one of their roster spots.

I've had this happen to me and I've seen it happen to someone almost every year. QBs are so valued in a 2QB 10team league that smart owners draft every starter and the best backups. So if you lose your guys, there is nothing you can do to replace them.

That's why I like the flex spot. It adds a lot more strategy and keeps teams devastated by injury still with a fighting chance. In fact, the guy that just won our league...I think he only had one guy left on his bench that was still scoring fantasy points. If not for the flex rule, he would not have had a chance.

Either way will work...after all, it is the same for everyone. I'm just saying why I prefer the flex.

that's exactly the problem i'm anticipating ... teams having to take a 0 because there's no starting QBs available. I mentioned this possible problem to the owners and they said that it'll force the QB deficient owner to trade for a QB... ofcourse, they'll have to pay dearly for a mediocre QB, but they're ok with this, so I guess we'll do it their way. I like the idea of a superflex position (QB/RB/WR/TE) so that a team that's down to one QB still has a chance to compete. I'll propose this to the owners but i'm sure that no matter what they decide, the teams that get screwed will blame the commish (me) for when their season falls apart.
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:19 am

burdsheet wrote:i'm sure that no matter what they decide, the teams that get screwed will blame the commish (me) for when their season falls apart.

LOL. Of course. ;-)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby G3_175SE » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:16 am

dgan wrote:
burdsheet wrote:i'm sure that no matter what they decide, the teams that get screwed will blame the commish (me) for when their season falls apart.

LOL. Of course. ;-)

So true, so very very true. At least your league won't get too boring. Should call for some lively free agent pick ups and trades.
G3_175SE
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:44 pm

My main league is a 12 team 2QB league. The starting requirements are 2QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2K/1D and a flex that can be anything but a QB. And with it we have 20 man rosters.

Now we get to deal with what dgan was saying every year. Coming out of the draft, 4 teams already don't have bye week fill ins. But this is no one's fault but their own if they don't have a plan. It simply comes down to drafting one or not, and yes you may have to reach. Each owner decides if the reach is worth it for 2 weeks of mediocre points.

Then as the season progresses, injuries do happen and teams have to deal with it. However, you have to see that the disadvantage is even across every team, and that makes it fair - just different. With the 20 man rosters teams that choose to hoard QB's suffer drastically elsewhere.

Last year a team took PManning/CPalmer/McNabb with his first three picks. Of course his RB's were horrid. Needless to say, he was forced into moving the QB's for mid range RB's and finished second to last in the league. My point being that if you try to hoard QB's you may screw over some teams but I'll bet you'll screw yours over just as much.

Losing players to injury is par of the game and team's either have to be prepared for it to happen to them, or they have to be able to react to it happening. I don't see the difference in losing a QB or a RB. The relative point drop off between the two (QB-QB and RB-RB) is very close. There's no difference in going from say 15 PPG (QB1) to 0 PPG (QB2 slot empty) and going from say 20 PPG (RB1) to 5 PPG (RB2 fill in). Of course the scoring could play a factor in leagues where the number of NFL starters to FF starters is so tight because if any position is heavily weighted in scoring, then you have problems.

But I think if you can come up with a scoring format where each main position (QB/RB/WR and TE) scores around the same totals for the year, then you will be able to have a quality league with tight limits.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner