Unique Idea for Dynasty League - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Unique Idea for Dynasty League

Moderator: Football Moderators

Unique Idea for Dynasty League

Postby ironman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:42 am

I've been floating this idea in my head for a while and am wondering if it could legitimately work or not.

The idea is for a dynasty league, but instead of drafting players you'd be drafting colleges. With every college you drafted you would retain the rights to any current and future players that went to that school. So if you drafted USC, you would get Carson Palmer, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Troy Polamalu, etc. Also in future years if a player from USC enters the NFL, you would have the option of using them as well.

This would put a twist on draft strategies for sure. If you wanted LaDainian Tomlinson you would have to draft TCU, which may not have as many viable players as another school.

Trading would work in that you could only trade one college for another. So you could swap Michigan for Miami, Oklahoma for Penn State, and such.

The one major kink I see is all the small school alumni (D-IAA and smaller). There would need to be some stipulation worked out with that. Perhaps a supplemental draft for those players and a rule limiting how many non D-IA guys you could have.

So does anyone have thoughts on this? Is it even viable, or is this just some hair-brained scheme of concocted here?
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:45 am

It is surely an interesting idea....it would be really crazy to implement I think.

Ohh and I love the sig.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby ironman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:03 am

BGbootha wrote:It is surely an interesting idea....it would be really crazy to implement I think.

Ohh and I love the sig.

I'm going to put together a list of all the major colleges and all of the offensive NFL players that play for them, just to see if this will even work.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dream_017 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:04 am

SOunds like a very cool idea, like BG not sure how easy it would be to implement.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:45 pm

This is definetly an interesting idea, I think IDP's may make it even more interesting, unless most players at IDP positions are from big schools then it might not be as interesting as my initial thought. But I'd definetly be interested in a 'test league' if you decide this idea is worth a shot.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby ironman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:13 pm

aaawall91 wrote:This is definetly an interesting idea, I think IDP's may make it even more interesting, unless most players at IDP positions are from big schools then it might not be as interesting as my initial thought. But I'd definetly be interested in a 'test league' if you decide this idea is worth a shot.

I think a test run would just be with offensive players to start, then expand to IDP if things appear to work well.

IDP would definitely change the value of some schools. For example Oklahoma only has Mark Clayton for players of any real value on offense, but with IDP they'd have Tommie Harris, Roy Williams and Teddy Lehman (if he ever stayed healthy), which would certainly boost their value.

I've got offensive lists for three of the I-A conferences compiled. I'll post a final list when I complete it.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ironman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:48 pm

Yikes, one thing is for sure. Miami (FL) would probably be the consensus #1 pick.

Frank Gore
Edgerrin James
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Jeremy Shockey
Kellen Winslow
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Santana Moss

:-o
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:47 pm

hmm I don't think a snake style draft would work for this, I'm thinking auction draft, 100 bucks to spend maybe?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:45 am

I haven't looked at the names yet, but I'm assuming Auburn would be in the top 5.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:43 am

OK I've got the list completed that breaks down the NFL players by school. I only did the offensive guys for now.

This should give a better picture of whether this is going to be doable.

http://ironheadsports.tripod.com/collegeleague.pdf
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner