Unique Idea for Dynasty League - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Unique Idea for Dynasty League

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:39 am

Interesting concept, I'd be game to give this a shot, too.

taking a quick look over the list, it will be a very interesting draft, I'd think. There are some good names from those small schools, and some unkowns from the larger ones. The added benefit of the small school being no "dead weight" from the bench.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby breonk » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:25 am

This is an interesting idea....

but i don't think it will work the way you have it set up. What happens if you need a QB or K and the schools you have do not have a starter? And if you have Miami (with 4 top starting RB's) some other teams will not have a starting RB.

I think if you want to start with this idea to set rosters that would work, then each year instead of having a rookie draft you would get those players on you college team. But you will need to have trading of players instead of colleges.

anyways, good luck with whatever you come up with it should be fun.
breonk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:50 am

I like the idea of it, but now I wish I had time to take on another league.

Also, I think it would simplify things to not have a kicker spot in the starting lineup. So many of the kickers went to small schools it's going to be annoying to have to pick up some tiny school just to get a bye week kicker.

Also, I think you could really give the league a lot of parity by making the starting lineup as rigid as possible. If you give a lot of flex positions, whoever gets Miami is almost guaranteed to win since they will have so many talented RBs. But if you limit the starting lineup to only 2 RBs, Miami doesn't represent near as much value since you could get the same caliber of starting RBs by drafting two lesser schools.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:41 pm

I agree with being able to trade players, and with onnestabe's comment about rigid rosters. QB, 3x WR, 2x RB, TE, with no kicker or defense. I consider those positions almost throwaway positions anyways... as long as I have a starter I don't care; it's tough to predict who the good kickers and defenses are going to be anyways so I don't even bother wasting draft picks on them unless I'm required to fill my starting lineup at the end of the draft. I notice that a lot of other people take this approach too.

I absolutely agree that this would only work with an auction-format draft. I disagree with the original poster in that I wouldn't favor (and in fact would be strongly against) any restrictions on how colleges may be traded, other than ordinary roster restrictions - so I don't think trading should be limited to one-for-one. Speaking of roster restrictions, some sort of scheme would have to be worked out. Number of colleges? Number of players in your available player pool? Number of players in your available player pool who scored above a certain baseline of points in the previous year?

About trading players... I think that trading players is a good idea, however, I feel like it would be in keeping with the spirit of the game for the owner of the college to retain significant rights with respect to the players of his college. The first idea to come to mind is that you cannot trade a player away unless you own his college - so if I owned Tennessee I could trade you Peyton Manning, but if you wanted to get rid of him the only options open to him would be to trade him back to me, trade me for Tennessee, or drop him. In my opinion, if a player is dropped he should revert back to his college's owner's player pool.

I also think that, as it's a dynasty league, all players should revert back to their college's owner at the beginning of the off-season. They could then be traded again.

I did a little bit of analysis, and it looks like the results are surprisingly balanced. I looked at the top 10 QBs, RBs, and WRs, and the top 5 TEs. (The top players at each position are completely subjective, of course, but I think all of our opinions will be similar.)

The results: only 6 colleges had two players on the combined list - USC (Palmer and Leinart), Syracuse (McNabb and Harrison), North Carolina St (Rivers and Holt), Miami-FL (Gore and Portis), North Carolina (Crumpler and FWP), and Oregon St (SJax and CJ). Even better, there's only one pairing in there (Miami's Gore and Portis) that I'd consider unusual in an ordinary draft league - and even that would be understandable, if a stretch - Portis's value is all over the board.

In conclusion... I like the idea a lot... sign me up! ;-D
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:20 pm

I was a little sketchy on the idea of trading individual players, but I like the idea that Felix brought up and it makes a lot of sense and would be a lot easier to do and keep track of. What about a rule where you can't trade rights away to a school unless you currently have all of its players rostered as well?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Darth Vader » Wed May 23, 2007 4:11 pm

I would play in that league. I love getting ideas going then looking abck 3 years later on pretty efficient game.
Thanks richwyld for the sig
2006 Bourbon Bowl Champion (Cool River 8 Team Keeper)
2006 Cool River 2nd Place (14 Team)
2005 Cool River 8th Place (12 teams)
Darth Vader
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: Unique Idea for Dynasty League

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:11 pm

Hey is anyone interested in putting a league like this together for this year (Keeper league)? I'd be willing to help co-commish. I think it would be pretty simple to do, just do it like any other league here on the cafe and the import rosters
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Re: Unique Idea for Dynasty League

Postby yankhater14 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:03 pm

I would love to play in this league, but I wouldn't co-commish with you. I'll be checking here regularly though, to see what's going on. I hope we can get something like this going. It's a very good idea!
yankhater14
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner