Supreme Court upholds partial-birth abortion ban. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Supreme Court upholds partial-birth abortion ban.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:48 am

5 wrote:You would think pro-lifers would be opposed to killing issues such as the death penalty and war (with too-little-too-late troop surges) but it's generally the other way around.

I just find that very interesting.

There is no inconsistency - if you accept that a fetus is a human then by definition it is an innocent one. Believing that does not mean you can't think a human's actions can eventually justify his execution.

A pro-lifer would respond it's interesting that pro-choicers defend people who have committed terrible crimes but want to kill innocent humans. Like I said above, I am pro-choice but there are no simple arguments here. It all comes back to when humanity begins and there will never be a consensus on that.

As for war, it is always a bad thing but often necessary. Whether the Iraq war was justified is a seperate issue and you're comparing apples and oranges.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 pm

OK then pro life isn't really pro "life" - life really has nothing to do with it. It sounds like it's a phrase to describe protecting a fetus.
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:14 pm

5 wrote:OK then pro life isn't really pro "life" - life really has nothing to do with it. It sounds like it's a phrase to describe protecting a fetus.

I agree with you on that, pro-life is a euphemism just like pro-choice is.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:01 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
5 wrote:You would think pro-lifers would be opposed to killing issues such as the death penalty and war (with too-little-too-late troop surges) but it's generally the other way around.

A lot of pro-lifers are Christians and a lot of Christians oppose the death penalty.

We can't always stereotype and assume if you're for one issue, you're obviously for, or opposed, to another. Doesn't make sense.

And some pro-choicers are Christians and support the death penalty. ;-)

Agreed that seteotyping and assuming leads to nowhere though. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:07 pm

Madison wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

A lot of pro-lifers are Christians and a lot of Christians oppose the death penalty.

We can't always stereotype and assume if you're for one issue, you're obviously for, or opposed, to another. Doesn't make sense.

And some pro-choicers are Christians and support the death penalty. ;-)

Agreed that seteotyping and assuming leads to nowhere though. ;-D

Right. I was generalizing that a lot of Christians are pro-life and oppose the death penalty. I would argue that the majority are actually. Personally, I'm pro-life and support capital punishment. Knapp is pro-life, but opposes the death penalty. So I was just pointing out that I don't think it's really that "interesting" at all. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby 5 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:08 pm

I never said it was straight down the line...overall I still think it's interesting - especially when it comes to "pro-life" people that support the death penalty. Selective morality when it comes to life or death I guess.

I consider myself pro-choice and support the death penalty but can appreciate other views.
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:51 pm

5 wrote:I never said it was straight down the line...overall I still think it's interesting - especially when it comes to "pro-life" people that support the death penalty. Selective morality when it comes to life or death I guess.

I consider myself pro-choice and support the death penalty but can appreciate other views.

Doesn't sound like it. These are obviously 2 completely different situations in question here. One a convicted felon who committed a terrible crime versus a fetus, possibly human or not. How is that life similar in any way? I believe life begins at conseption. This is a child who has not had a chance to make any decisions. The aforementioned deathrow inmate has.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby 5 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:01 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
5 wrote:I never said it was straight down the line...overall I still think it's interesting - especially when it comes to "pro-life" people that support the death penalty. Selective morality when it comes to life or death I guess.

Doesn't sound like it. These are obviously 2 completely different situations in question here. One a convicted felon who committed a terrible crime versus a fetus, possibly human or not. How is that life similar in any way? I believe life begins at conseption. This is a child who has not had a chance to make any decisions. The aforementioned deathrow inmate has.

Yes they are different situations but isn't a life a life. You said in school you were taught when life begins...were you not also taught that all lives are precious? I don't necessarily believe that but some do.
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:25 pm

5 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Yes they are different situations but isn't a life a life. You said in school you were taught when life begins...were you not also taught that all lives are precious? I don't necessarily believe that but some do.

When you take a life, you forfeit your own.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby roninmedia » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
5 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

When you take a life, you forfeit your own.

And not every one believes that either. You know there are plenty of anti-death penalty people out there. It just proves we all different lives differently. So we're trying to tell the mother, sorry your fetus's rights takes precedent over your rights'
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk