Graphics Guys Chit-Chat - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Contests and Showing Off

Graphics Guys Chit-Chat

Moderators: deluxe_247, Football Moderators

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:52 pm

eagles21 wrote:One other question.

Even though I'm pretty good at making sigs, the one thing that definitely is my weakness is fonts. The fonts I pic always never seem to go with the sig I make, or could at least be improved.

Any tips to picking the right font?

Ummmmmm.... in most cases, probably simple is better. Most of the really good sigs have a decently simple font like arial a lot of times or something that is rounded.

http://www.psdcentral.net has some fonts for download. One called Opal and one called silkscreen that are really good if used right. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:47 am

i use dafont.com for fonts if im looking for a specific type of look...either that or i just scroll through what i currently have until i find something that looks good enough. text is the hardest part of a sig IMO. if it has bad text, it can kill an awesome sig. ive killed my share of sigs with crappy fonts !+) :-P
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:31 am

Another easy way to make a font look better is to make a white box, then use the type mask tool, so the font is see-through with white or another color around it. Just don't overuse it or it will look boring. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 pm

Joel....how did you get the 'bright' spot on the top left hand side of your sig, right above his head?

I have tried something like that but I can't get it to look right.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby South Park Cows » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:34 pm

BGbootha wrote:Joel....how did you get the 'bright' spot on the top left hand side of your sig, right above his head?

Just a light colored, soft, round brush at around 100.
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:48 pm

South Park Cows wrote:
BGbootha wrote:Joel....how did you get the 'bright' spot on the top left hand side of your sig, right above his head?

Just a light colored, soft, round brush at around 100.

Yep, I usually then use a gaussian blur and play with the settings until it looks how I want. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby eagles21 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks for the font tips Joel and Deluxe. I HAVE to visit that site you linked Joel. Believe it or not, I have never even heard of it.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:35 pm

eagles21 wrote:Thanks for the font tips Joel and Deluxe. I HAVE to visit that site you linked Joel. Believe it or not, I have never even heard of it.

Which one? PSDcentral? Yeah, its not like extremely well known or anything.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby eagles21 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:38 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
eagles21 wrote:Thanks for the font tips Joel and Deluxe. I HAVE to visit that site you linked Joel. Believe it or not, I have never even heard of it.

Yeah that one. Even though it's not well known, with that kind of website name, plus having been using Photoshop for about a year now, I'm sure I would have heard of it.

Oh well, better late then never. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:00 pm

eagles21 wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

Yeah that one. Even though it's not well known, with that kind of website name, plus having been using Photoshop for about a year now, I'm sure I would have heard of it.

Oh well, better late then never. ;-D

If it makes you feel better, I have only known about it about a month. ;-D :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Contests and Showing Off