Is this Scoring system "fair" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Is this Scoring system "fair"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this Scoring system "fair"

Postby burdsheet » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:23 am

I changed the scoring system of my league so that a little more production is required to earn points. Basically, I raised the number of yards required to earn a point for all positions and made more bonus points possible. Besides trying to avoid NBA type scores, i'm also hoping that this will help to reduce the difference between RB output compared to the other positions. (RBs need more receiving yrds than WRs to earn a point in this setup) Here's what I've got ... let me if you think this scoring system is a recipe for disaster. thanks!

TDs = 6 pts
QB: 1 pt per 75 yrds passing, 1 bonus point for every 10 yrds after reaching 300 yards.

RBs: 1 pt per 50 yrds rushing, 1 bonus point for every 10 yards rushing after reaching 100 yards.
1 pt per 50 yrds receiving, 1 bonus point for every 10 yards
receiving after 100 yards.

WRs: 1 pt per 30 yrds receiving, 1 bonus pt per 10yrds receiving after 100 yards.
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:12 am

First off, this is going to be a very TD heavy league. If that was your intent, leave it alone, but I don't like TD heavy leagues, myself.

Second, QBs appear to be way overvalued. if you think of 1 pt per 25 yds passing and 1 pt per 10 yds rush/rec as "standard", then you made it 5 times harder than standard for RBs to get a point and only 3 times harder than standard for QBs and WRs to get a point. I understand you want to balance RBs with the other players, and I think you accomplished it with respect to WRs, but because you made TDs 6 pts for QBs, they are going to be the high-point scorers.

Third, I don't really like bonus points for reaching yardage milestones. 100 yds and 300 yds are artbitrary numbers, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to accelerate the rate at which you score points just because you got to that particular number.

Lastly, if your goal was to balance the scoring among positions, this system does a decent job of it (except for the passing TD issue mentioned above. But I don't know that it would change my draft strategy very much. RBs will still be king in fantasy football, but not because of the number of points they score, it's because of position scarcity. With the increasing number of RBBCs in the NFL, there just aren't enough viable starting RBs to go around. If you want people to put less emphasis on drafting RBs early, lower the starting requirements so that you can only start 1 RB. At that point, every team in a 12-teamer should be able to have a good starter and a decent backup.

Anyways, hope this helps.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby burdsheet » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:48 am

thanks for your input ... i didn't even consider that under this system, TD's are going to be very valuable, which i also don't really like.

If you've got any ideas on a point system that requires a little more yardage production before points are awarded, I'd be open to hear it.

thx
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:08 pm

QBs: 1 point per 50 yards passing, 6 point TDs, -2 per INT
RBs: 1 point per 25 yards receiving/rushing, 6 point TDs
W/Ts: 1 point per 20 yards receiving/rushing, 6 point TDs

Makes QBs and W/Ts twice as difficult to earn yardage points, and RBs 2.5 times more difficult. I think this would achieve your goals pretty well.

I'm not a big fan of bonuses at all... I don't see why a QB who passes for 300 yards gets 4 points while one who passes for 320 gets 6.25, when they have virtually the same performance. I also don't like 4 point TDs for quarterbacks, simply because I think a TD should be 6 points across the board, because it's, well, football.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:16 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:QBs: 1 point per 50 yards passing, 6 point TDs, -2 per INT

Makes QBs and W/Ts twice as difficult to earn yardage points, and RBs 2.5 times more difficult. I think this would achieve your goals pretty well.

I'm not a big fan of bonuses at all... I don't see why a QB who passes for 300 yards gets 4 points while one who passes for 320 gets 6.25, when they have virtually the same performance. I also don't like 4 point TDs for quarterbacks, simply because I think a TD should be 6 points across the board, because it's, well, football.

That's still a little TD heavy if you think about it. I have never liked how for a QB in that scoring system that a 300 yd game is the same amount of points as scoring 1 TD....and with RBs, they have to get 150 total yards to equal 1 TD and 120 total yards for WRs. Just very TD heavy.

From what I've found, the best indicator of good production and good play is NOT TDs....the best indicator is yardage. Yardage heavy leagues are much more accurate in rewarding the players who play well because many times TDs are a crapshoot.

I think that if you want to make there be a minimum they have to reach to get points, you can do that, but I think once they reach that point they should get ALL the points they would have gotten. For example: Say a RB needs to get 50 yds to start getting any points and you give 10 yds/pt rushing. That player would get zero points for yardage 1-49, but once they reach 50 yds, they now have 5 points (50 yds at 10 yds/pt). That way you still get all the pts for yardage, but you still have to reach a certain amount to start getting points.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby burdsheet » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:20 pm

yeah, i've got mixed feelings about bonuses but everyone wants them so unfortunately they have to stay. some people like them because they don't like it when their guy runs for like 150 yards but doesn't get a TD (I Blame Tom Coughlin).
burdsheet
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:48 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:QBs: 1 point per 50 yards passing, 6 point TDs, -2 per INT

That's still a little TD heavy if you think about it. I have never liked how for a QB in that scoring system that a 300 yd game is the same amount of points as scoring 1 TD....and with RBs, they have to get 150 total yards to equal 1 TD and 120 total yards for WRs. Just very TD heavy.

From what I've found, the best indicator of good production and good play is NOT TDs....the best indicator is yardage. Yardage heavy leagues are much more accurate in rewarding the players who play well because many times TDs are a crapshoot.

I think that if you want to make there be a minimum they have to reach to get points, you can do that, but I think once they reach that point they should get ALL the points they would have gotten. For example: Say a RB needs to get 50 yds to start getting any points and you give 10 yds/pt rushing. That player would get zero points for yardage 1-49, but once they reach 50 yds, they now have 5 points (50 yds at 10 yds/pt). That way you still get all the pts for yardage, but you still have to reach a certain amount to start getting points.

I agree with you somewhat... I was suggesting a system that would meet the OP's needs.

I have yet to meet a non-PPR scoring system that I don't have qualms with. I don't like arbitrary yardage limits or "triggers" of any kind, so I'd have qualms with that baseline system... I'm not as fond of ultra-yardage heavy systems (i.e. XFL's 5 yards/point) as some are because I feel that TDs should play a large role in scoring... I think about the best you can get is "standard" scoring (25 pass/10 rush-rec/6 TD).

PPR helps to even the scoring out a lot.

It's a shame that the owners want bonuses. Ah well... che sará, sará...
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Commissioner's Corner