Great name for a beer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Great name for a beer

Moderator: Football Moderators

Great name for a beer

Postby stomperrob » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Apparently it's been around for a couple years, but first time I've heard of it (but then I'm not a beer drinker) - don't know if it was included in the recent voting here:

Horse Piss Beer
by Steve, Saturday, August 06, 2005

Next time you're at a bar chugging down a cold one, and you end up spittin' it all out, complaining that it's "horse piss", don't be surprised if the bartender nods in appreciation.

Horse Piss Beer is a fairly new label that came out last April just in time for the Kentucky Derby. The sudsy concoction is the creation of Gerry Russell, of Lexington, Kentucky, who combined his love of horse racing, beer, and humor, into a refreshment that he insists doesn't taste like it's namesake. It's actually contract-brewed through Viking Brewing Company. Russell donates a portion of the beer sales to charities that protect retired thoroughbreds.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:19 pm

If it taste good, I don't mind the name at all. ;-D

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:22 pm

I have never tried beer and part of the reason is because it all smells like this one is named. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:50 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I have never tried beer and part of the reason is because it all smells like this one is named. :-b

Wow, actually never even had a little bit?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:52 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:I have never tried beer and part of the reason is because it all smells like this one is named. :-b

Wow, actually never even had a little bit?

Nope. Same reason I have never had a cigarette. never heard anybody wish they HAD started drinking or smoking or anything, but have heard plenty say they wish they hadn't, so why start? :-b

and it helps that most people that I hang out with anymore don't drink or smoke much if at all. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:54 pm

There are alot of beers out there that are excellent.

I might shy away from trying this just because somewhere down the line I have a feeling we may find out one of the ingredients is actual horse pi$$. And could you really complain? It's right on the label.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Metroid » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:54 pm

I thought that too about 1,000,000,000 beers ago. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:59 pm

Some reviews from beeradvocate.com:

overall: 3.45
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3 | drinkability: 3.5

22 oz bottle's top is wrapped in gold foil, and the "scary" horse on the label looks more like a mule to me. Horse Piss pours a clear amber body with a small offwhite head that has fair retention and leaves some patch lacing on the glass. Aroma features toasty grain, subdued spicy and floral hops with a grassy note. Mouthfeel is unremarkable, with a light medium body and mdeium carbonation. Taste is about average for a Marzen style, with some toasty grain and bready malt, balanced well by bittering grassy hops. A faint citrusy note is present, which adds some interest. Finish has some grassy hops bitterness and slight caramel malt sweetness.
Nothing exceptional about this one, but I can say that I've sampled a bottle of genuine, Horse Piss Beer. An average Marzen, with decent drinkability. Contract brewed by Viking Brewing in Wisconsin. Bet there's a great story behind the development of this label. Must have been a minor hit in central Kentucky, as this was gone from the shelves of Lexington's Liquor Barn stores when I stopped by yesterday(6-15-05).

[ serving type: bottle ]

overall: 3.5
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3.5

Pours a medium amber with a small off white head that falls fast and leaves some spotty lace behind.

Aroma is bready malt some hints of caramel and a grssy hop aroma. There
are also some hints of lemon mixed with wet hay, lightly sour smelling.

Taste is on par with the smell, bready malt touches of caramel with grassy hops that leave light bitterness and touches of lemon in flavor also.

Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium.

Drinkability is ok but not a great Marzen by any means. Hard to resist purchasing the name and label are great, but don't see many repeat buys of this stuff. Not bad worth a try, makes me wish it was fall so I could get some good Oktoberfest beers.

overall: 3.95
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 4

Thanks Chris.

What a name for a beer. If anyone out there wants to try this one, shoot me a beermail. It may only be available in Kentucky.

The brew pours a nice golden amber color with a finger of head that fell to coat the beer. The nose had slight diacetyl butteryness wiht caramel malts. Right about what I expected for the style. The flavor was buttered caramelwith a nice sweet aftertaste. The beer was clean and refreshing. The feel was a light moderate...maybe a touch thin. Overall, this brew was rather good. Easy drinking, clean and refreshing. I was VERY surprised to find a gem in a beer that is called Horse Piss.

overall: 3.95
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 4

This is a beer that is contract brewed by Viking for somebody in Kentucky. Scary looking horse on the bottle. Pours a brown color with a small head that falls fast and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is very nice for the style - lots of caramel, slight hop, and a little toasty. The flavor is nice and malty with a lot of toasty caramel. A little creamy. Very tasty. Great drinkability. Scary name, but it is actually pretty darn good.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:00 pm

another great beer name:

!+)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:01 pm

Metroid wrote:

I thought that too about 1,000,000,000 beers ago. :-b

here here ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Next

Return to General Talk