Starcraft 2 to be announced May 19th - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Starcraft 2 to be announced May 19th

Moderator: Football Moderators

Starcraft 2 to be announced May 19th

Postby SniperShot » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Source is all in Korean so unless you have a translator installed and can read Hangul it'll be a waste so I'll post the translation from http://www.sc2.org

StarCraft 2 will be revealed for the first time to the world at Blizzard's World Wide Invitational (WWI) on May 19th.

On the 25th, according to the game developers, it has been confirmed that Blizzard Entertainment Korea (aka Blizzard Korea) will present VODs and game content at the WWI that is starting on May 19th. Also, StarCraft 2's main developers will also attend to answer some questions.

It has been confirmed that StarCraft 2 is being developed in 3D, a new race has been added and existing units' characteristics will have many changes. Additional details will only be revealed to certain parts of WWI.

Blizzard has invited over 100 international media and has prepared both Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Stadium and Fencing Stadium for this event -- the biggest area ever for a short-term game event.

StarCraft 2's announcement preparation is proceeding with secrecy, and only the core group at Blizzard Korea knows the specific details and situation. As they have done in the past, Blizzard is not planning to reveal or release any details for the "best surprise announcement".

However, trustworthy information is being leaked from previous Blizzard employees, and through an acquaintance of ex-Blizzard North employees, StarCraft 2's development and its announcement at the WWI has been confirmed.

Last February 28th, president of Blizzard, Mike Morhaime, has hinted that "At the WWI in May, there will be a surprise announcement" for the announcement of a sequel, Blizzard Korea has confirmed, on the 25th, an unrevealed sequel's announcement.

Blizzard Korea's Park Young-Mok director said "There is not content available for answer for the sequel. The sequel will be released at the WWI on the 19th. Please confirm it at the site on the 19th" and denied the confirmation on if StarCraft 2 is indeed the sequel that is to be announced on the 19th.

MBC Game's Lee Sang-Ho head said "Frankly, it's half anticipation and half worry. If SC2 is released in a form that is compatible with e-sports broadcast, there will be many new gamers and the entire industry will develop. However if it comes out in a form that is not easy to broadcast, like WarCraft 3, StarCraft fans will focus on the sequel while the original league will suffer a decline", expressing a cautious mindset.

OnGameNet's StarCraft commentator Um Jae-Kyung said "Blizzard has probably already grasped the difference between this nation's gamers and foreign gamers' difference in inclination through WarCraft 3. So I'm hoping for a more balanced structure, a structure with e-sports in mind. However, I believe that the e-sports league will continue to focus on StarCraft and a new league focusing on StarCraft 2 will form, the industry growing bigger as a result. As a gamer, I'm really looking forward to it.

Blizzard's WWI is on its third year and will take place from May 19th to 20th at the Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Stadium and Weight Lifting Stadium (translator's note: I thought it was fencing? o.O). Many e-sports games as well as events such as WarCraft 3 ladder season 5 Asia region preliminaries, for the first time, a World of Warcraft Arena Tournament Off-line Regional Finals will take place.

Both an exciting and nervous time for Starcraft fans everywhere. For the American public this sounds great, but it could cause problems in Korea where they have professional leagues based around Starcraft. The original Starcraft is so perfectly balanced people say you can't change anything.

Interesting...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Manja » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm excited. I've been waiting 7 years or so for this release. I loved the story telling and gameplay of the original. I just hope it doesn't disappoint.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LukeW9027 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:53 pm

Nice! I still play the original starcraft to this day, so i am greatly anticipating this one. ;-D

The Future is here
LukeW9027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "In Greek Mythology,The Titans were even greater than the gods" Coach Boone

Postby Guru13 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:44 pm

sweet, me and my friends used to rock out to the old one for hours online and stuff, this should be really good if it is similiar in gameplay to the first one.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SniperShot » Sat May 19, 2007 3:53 pm

it's all over http://www.blizzard.com now. Check it out. That video of the dude getting all suited up in Marine gear is awesome.

Too bad this is Blizzard and it'll probably still be another 2 years at least before it's final release.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LukeW9027 » Sat May 19, 2007 5:51 pm

SniperShot wrote:it's all over http://www.blizzard.com now. Check it out. That video of the dude getting all suited up in Marine gear is awesome.

Too bad this is Blizzard and it'll probably still be another 2 years at least before it's final release.

Wow. Thanks for the link, those screenshots look amazing as well. I can't wait. ;-D

The Future is here
LukeW9027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "In Greek Mythology,The Titans were even greater than the gods" Coach Boone

Postby SniperShot » Sat May 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Wow they have been working on it since 2003, after the last War3 expansion came out. Man that gives me some hope that this thing is closer to being finished than I thought.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guru13 » Sun May 20, 2007 11:38 am

sweet link, ya it looks similar to the first one...which is awesome, I'll definitely have to pick this up.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Atog » Sun May 20, 2007 12:03 pm

I suck at RTSs but I'm excited nontheless. SC was one of the best games ever.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Teck » Sun May 20, 2007 9:11 pm

SC was one my my favorite games ever. I just bought it off amazon again a few months ago and am still playing it.
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Video Games