Injured Reserve in Dynasty Leagues? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Injured Reserve in Dynasty Leagues?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Injured Reserve in Dynasty Leagues?

Postby The Lung » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:22 pm

How does IR work in your dynasty league? When a player ends the season on IR, when does he go 'off' IR? If you have a roster of 20 players and 2 IR spots, when is the date to trim the roster back to 20? (Either dumping the player(s) that were on IR or keeping them and dropping someone else?) Is that date when the season ends, during the summer, or right before the rookie draft and the beginning of the next season?

If you have an open IR spot, and see that a free agent goes on IR, can you pick him up and immediately deactivate him to IR? Or should IR be reserved only for the players on your roster who get hurt and go on IR?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 am

Generally, it is sometime between the end of the season and before the first free agency signing period of the offseason. You should have a cutoff for free agent signings sometime during your postseason (such as the day before the Championship game) so that people can trim their rosters whenever they'd like without worrying about waiver wire orders and such.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you have an FA signing period before your rookie draft...but definately roster limits should be enforced before the first event on the offseason agenda.

As far as can you sign someone to your IR...I have done this in the past with Priest Holmes and Marshall Faulk (neither of which worked out for me...). It all depends on your league rules...if you don't have any specifically about that, then their should be a vote. IMO, owners argue more about the use and manipulation of IR than any other aspect of fantasy football. It should either be spelled out very clearly in the rules, or else just eliminate it all together. My preference is just to add a roster spot or two and throw away the IR altogether. It has never been worth the effort in any league I've been in.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:20 pm

dgan wrote:IMO, owners argue more about the use and manipulation of IR than any other aspect of fantasy football. It should either be spelled out very clearly in the rules, or else just eliminate it all together. My preference is just to add a roster spot or two and throw away the IR altogether. It has never been worth the effort in any league I've been in.

You're not kidding. Last year in our league, if you had an open IR spot, and saw that a free agent dynasty prospect went on IR, you could pick him up and immediately deactivate him to IR. The commish held a league vote this week and it passed, stipulating that a player may only be placed on IR if that player is already on your roster at the time he gains real IR status. So I said that I would abide by the rule; however, as the rule is written, you can't pick up a free agent already on IR and deactivate him to your IR spot. But, for example, let's say that I see a free agent player break his leg in a game, and I then pick him up, and his team puts him on IR later on, then I am free to deactivate him to my IR spot. I would have an active player in the NFL on my roster, who then later gets put on IR by his NFL team, and can therefore be deactivated into my IR spot. Well now the commish is complaining that I am violating the spirit of the game!
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby dgan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 pm

The Lung wrote:
dgan wrote:IMO, owners argue more about the use and manipulation of IR than any other aspect of fantasy football. It should either be spelled out very clearly in the rules, or else just eliminate it all together. My preference is just to add a roster spot or two and throw away the IR altogether. It has never been worth the effort in any league I've been in.

You're not kidding. Last year in our league, if you had an open IR spot, and saw that a free agent dynasty prospect went on IR, you could pick him up and immediately deactivate him to IR. The commish held a league vote this week and it passed, stipulating that a player may only be placed on IR if that player is already on your roster at the time he gains real IR status. So I said that I would abide by the rule; however, as the rule is written, you can't pick up a free agent already on IR and deactivate him to your IR spot. But, for example, let's say that I see a free agent player break his leg in a game, and I then pick him up, and his team puts him on IR later on, then I am free to deactivate him to my IR spot. I would have an active player in the NFL on my roster, who then later gets put on IR by his NFL team, and can therefore be deactivated into my IR spot. Well now the commish is complaining that I am violating the spirit of the game!

There ya go. ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby PHI » Sat May 05, 2007 6:19 am

dgan wrote:My preference is just to add a roster spot or two and throw away the IR altogether. It has never been worth the effort in any league I've been in.

That's exactly what I did years ago. Our league then allowed up to 3 IR players. We increased roster size by 5 players and did away with IR completely. One of the best rule changes we ever made.

As to your question, when we had IR, once the season ended players came off IR. We didn't have a roster size limit for the offseason so teams didn't have to cut down until just prior to the start of the season. During the season, a player had to be on your roster at least one week before they could be placed on IR.
Fantasy Football Junkies Anonymous meetings held weekly on Sundays... and Mondays... and sometimes Thursdays.
PHI
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner