Rules and Settings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Defunct Dynasty League

Rules and Settings

Moderators: flotsamnjetsam, dream_017, WaCougMBS, Football Moderators

Re: Rules and Settings

Postby Kilroy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:10 pm

dream_017 wrote:
madaslives911 wrote:Are we still allowed to do player add/drop during this playoffs and during the off-season?

Currently rosters are locked while we hold the Commishiner meetings. Once we have a few things sorted out, we plan to have some sort of free agency and/or off season movement, the details are just not worked out. Stay tuned ;-D

I'm off through Wednesday (Thank God...2 Jobs Crap is running me into the friggin' ground), so I'm gonna try to nail down our 12 for 2008 so we can move on to the next order of business. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby madaslives911 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:57 pm

Kilroy wrote:Passage of this vote would institute a change in offseason roster size.

Rosters would temporarily expand from 35 players to 40 players, mainly to allow for the inclusion of drafted rookies. Teams would then have until August 28th, 2008 to "cut down" to 35 players again.

Please note that ALL Drafted Rookies must still be signed to contracts (per the league rules), all cut players are subject to contract buyouts per the league rules (unless that player has been designated an Anti-Franchise Player), and at NO time may teams go over the Salary Cap.

A Majority (7+) votes will constitute passage of this vote, at which time it will become an "official" rule.

Relative to the aforementioned roster size, does this mean that once we already have 35 players, we should not be bidding for the FA anymore? Or can we bid and if a player is won, we have to drop a player to make way for a roster space, naturally.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm

madaslives911 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Passage of this vote would institute a change in offseason roster size.

Rosters would temporarily expand from 35 players to 40 players, mainly to allow for the inclusion of drafted rookies. Teams would then have until August 28th, 2008 to "cut down" to 35 players again.

Please note that ALL Drafted Rookies must still be signed to contracts (per the league rules), all cut players are subject to contract buyouts per the league rules (unless that player has been designated an Anti-Franchise Player), and at NO time may teams go over the Salary Cap.

A Majority (7+) votes will constitute passage of this vote, at which time it will become an "official" rule.

Relative to the aforementioned roster size, does this mean that once we already have 35 players, we should not be bidding for the FA anymore? Or can we bid and if a player is won, we have to drop a player to make way for a roster space, naturally.

As I understand it, we can only have 40 players signed to contracts until August 28th. Once a player is drafted they esentially have a contract with your team, so you would need to cut a player prior to making a draft pick. Please note that to cut a person, it would cause a cap hit. So, you can have up to 40 on you rroster just prior to the draft if you can afford it ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 pm

dream_017 wrote:
madaslives911 wrote:

As I understand it, we can only have 40 players signed to contracts until August 28th. Once a player is drafted they esentially have a contract with your team, so you would need to cut a player prior to making a draft pick. Please note that to cut a person, it would cause a cap hit. So, you can have up to 40 on you rroster just prior to the draft if you can afford it ;-D

The roster expansion was supposed to be just for the rookie draft and/or trades during the offseason. It wasn't meant for people to cram their rosters with 40 players...before the rookie draft. I think everyone should really stay at 35 through FA. Then the rosters will be allowed to expand for the rookie draft. Then we'll have a cut-down to 35 date. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:18 pm

I edited the OP to include the Roster Expansion Rule as it was passed. Sorry I hadn't done that before. :-/

I agree with flots that it's probably a good idea to stay at 35 (or 36, leaving "space" for the rookies) through FA, as that was pretty much the rule's intent, but as passed all it really says is you have 40 roster spots until 8/28, at which time you have to cut to 35.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:48 am

Kilroy wrote:I edited the OP to include the Roster Expansion Rule as it was passed. Sorry I hadn't done that before. :-/

I agree with flots that it's probably a good idea to stay at 35 (or 36, leaving "space" for the rookies) through FA, as that was pretty much the rule's intent, but as passed all it really says is you have 40 roster spots until 8/28, at which time you have to cut to 35.

Definitely. We all should have to stay at 35 players max throughout FA. The roster expansion rule was meant for the rookie draft only. I forgot to mention this before but "40" should be taken out of the rules. There can't be an exact limit to the # a roster will expand to because someone could end up with 8 draft picks in 2010. This person would have his 35 (or up to 37 with the 2 IR spots we can have) + those 8 draft picks for a total roster size of 43...to be cut down to 35 before the season starts. I never intended to mess with the 35 max roster limit...except to expand the roster to include our rookies. So please, everyone keep their roster sizes to 35. Does anyone have anyone on IR? I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:32 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I edited the OP to include the Roster Expansion Rule as it was passed. Sorry I hadn't done that before. :-/

Definitely. We all should have to stay at 35 players max throughout FA. The roster expansion rule was meant for the rookie draft only. I forgot to mention this before but "40" should be taken out of the rules. There can't be an exact limit to the # a roster will expand to because someone could end up with 8 draft picks in 2010. This person would have his 35 (or up to 37 with the 2 IR spots we can have) + those 8 draft picks for a total roster size of 43...to be cut down to 35 before the season starts. I never intended to mess with the 35 max roster limit...except to expand the roster to include our rookies. So please, everyone keep their roster sizes to 35. Does anyone have anyone on IR? I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. ;-D

That sounds good. Nobody has an IR player. As of this morning 4 teams are under 30 players and the rest have 34/32/32/31/31/30/30/30
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

I don't have any problem with keeping rosters at a 35 veteran "max", but I still think there needs to be some sort of total maximum that applies to all teams. I don't think that a team should be able to trade players for picks, re-fill roster slots back to 35 in FA, and then be able to keep two or three (or whatever) additional players on their roster through the end of August. Whether that means "bumping" the max or whatever I dunno, but I think there does need to be a max.

Just my .02, and should the rest of y'all feel diffrently then whatever, as they say, is clever. ;-D

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby madaslives911 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:31 pm

I think we should have some rules set here such as: based on the assumption that we would have to enforce a 35-max number of players prior to the rookie draft, owners who won players during this FA auction should not be allowed to drop any of these recently won players so as to free a roster spot for the rookies they would draft. Else, the auction would be meaningless. And this would really be wasting the time of Dream who is in charge of updating the rosters.

btw, is there a set deadline for the FA auction?
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 pm

madaslives911 wrote:I think we should have some rules set here such as: based on the assumption that we would have to enforce a 35-max number of players prior to the rookie draft, owners who won players during this FA auction should not be allowed to drop any of these recently won players so as to free a roster spot for the rookies they would draft. Else, the auction would be meaningless. And this would really be wasting the time of Dream who is in charge of updating the rosters.

btw, is there a set deadline for the FA auction?

Since no one's gone over 35 players yet I don't see why such a rule would be necessary. So far as dropping "recently" won players later this summer after the rookie draft (which is when I assume such a thing would happen) so long as that team's prepared to absorb the requisite cap hit I don't see why dropping those players would be any different from dropping any "veteran"...happens all the time in the NFL.

To answer your question, there is no deadline for Free Agency. Runs from now until the season starts. ;-D

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Defunct Dynasty League