David Harris News Conference Transcript - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New York Jets

David Harris News Conference Transcript

Moderator: Football Moderators

David Harris News Conference Transcript

Postby killiansjmd » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:38 pm

On being picked by the Jets…

I’m just excited to be a New York Jet. They’re a great team. I want to say thank you to the owner, (Woody) Johnson, the general manager (Mike) Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini for drafting me.

On if he knew the Jets would trade up for him…

I had no idea. I’m just thankful to have the opportunity. I’m thankful to come in and compete for the team. I’m grateful.

On the opportunity to play along side Jonathan Vilma…

They have great linebackers, a great defense, and I’m just going to try to go in and compete. I’m not really worried about who’s in front of me or behind me. I’m pretty sure the coaches will put me in when they feel I’m ready, and I just want to go in and compete.

On Victor Hobson…

He was a fifth-year senior my redshirt year. He’s a great player. He’s a leader and I talked to him a lot about when I was training in New Jersey and I can’t wait to get started.

On Linebackers’ Coach Jim Herrmann…

I have a great relationship with him. He was my D-coordinator at Michigan all four years and he’s always been a great person to talk to, a great coach.

On meeting with the Jets…

I met them down at the combine.

On who he spoke with there…

I spoke to almost everybody on their staff.

On knowing if the Jets would pick him…

You never know at the draft if an NFL team will call you and I’m thankful that the New York Jets called me.

On his strengths as a player….

I think I’m a well-rounded person, a well-rounded athlete. I will try to come in, work on myself overall with everything and try to compete on the NFL level.

On talk that teams were considering him late in the first round…

You can’t listen to what they say. Hopefully they like the way you play and you can help contribute and you can help them win. The Jets gave me the opportunity.

On the 3-4 defense…

The defense changes from week-to-week depending on what you want to do that week and the opponent. I played a 3-4 my sophomore year here at Michigan.

On playing inside linebacker…

Everybody has different concepts and it varies from week-to-week and some of the new game plans. You never know.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:17 pm

He sounds smart and will definitely be a leader with Vilma. I think he is the type of guy who is ready to start right away, and will help our run defense immensley.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 01, 2007 3:42 am

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:He sounds smart and will definitely be a leader with Vilma. I think he is the type of guy who is ready to start right away, and will help our run defense immensley.

I agree. From everything I've read, Harris is a perfect fit for the 3-4.

scout.com wrote:Taking his game to another level last season, Harris was the hard-working leader of one of the nation’s top defenses. Has starting potential at the next level, most likely on the inside of a 34 defense.

Biography:
Two-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior after leading the Wolverines in tackles, totaling 96/15/3. Junior totals were 88/7/1.

Pos:

Tough, instinctive run-defending linebacker. Forceful up the field, takes good angles to the action and flies around the ball. Consistently fills the correct gaps in run defense, stays with assignments and displays good instincts. Fast enough to cut off the corner, hard-hitting and aggressively lays his shoulders into ball carriers. Gets depth on pass drops and displays ability in zone.

Neg:

Struggles in man coverage. Gets caught up in the trash moving laterally. Has injury concerns from the past.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Return to New York Jets