Seattles front office is smoking crack - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

Seattles front office is smoking crack

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:29 am

SeaWolf wrote:With two interceptions in what 11 or 12 games last year in college, prorate that over a sixteen weeks season and he would lead the Hawks in INTs. ;-7

no, that's 2 interceptions in his entire college CAREER.

2 int's in 46 games, i'm not saying db's should have hands, but college is where these guys should dominate, it shows his lack of size could potentially harm his skill at outside db, he'll probably be used as a nickelback or in dime to stay with any fast slot wr's we play against.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:08 am

Alkaholik wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:With two interceptions in what 11 or 12 games last year in college, prorate that over a sixteen weeks season and he would lead the Hawks in INTs. ;-7

no, that's 2 interceptions in his entire college CAREER.

Ooops. !+)

Shall we start the fire Ruskell bandwagon?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BGbootha » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Good read regarding Djax.

Tacoma News Tribune wrote:Maybe Jackson’s time was up

DAVE BOLING; THE NEWS TRIBUNEPublished: April 30th, 2007 01:00 AM

KIRKLAND – At face value, the move seems stunningly stupid.
But it’s growing on me.

Trading Darrell Jackson, one of the Seahawks’ all-time leading receivers, to division opponent San Francisco is so obviously counter-productive.

The fact that they only managed to get a fourth-round pick in return reflects the weakness of the market for “used” receivers, and seems yet another persuasive argument for continuing to tolerate Jackson’s often-aired grievances.

But this move is about more than Jackson’s persistent grumpiness about his contract. If Jackson had been more reliable, as well as more of a “company” man, he’d still be here.

There were the 13 missed games in the past two seasons that raised the question of durability. There were the missed practices and a botched route here and there. There were the occasional dropped passes.

His absence at minicamps and offseason training was not only at odds with the expectations of the “new” Seahawk identity shaped by president Tim Ruskell, it seemed a direct affront.

Jackson never learned that even if you don’t like the size of your checks, it’s risky to keep griping at the guy who signs them. And if Ruskell is committed to cleansing the roster of dysfunction – a tactic that seems to be working – Jackson made a convenient target.

“I think it was the best thing for our football team,” Ruskell said Sunday. “Ever since I have been here, we all know he has not been happy. I think it was from the contract squabble from his deal.”

The contract, proffered by then-president Bob Whitsitt, bothered Jackson from the minute he signed it. Something about a $25 million contract and $8 million signing bonus offended him. Jackson has long held that some of Whitsitt’s promises never came true. And he never let anybody forget it.

“We want you to want to be here,” Ruskell said. “We want you to be happy to be a Seahawk and work well with your teammates. That’s what we want and we just never really seemed to get to that point. Yeah, he’s a good player, we all know that. It wasn’t about the catches and the yards, it just never felt comfortable as a fit.”

Being uncomfortable is insufficient reason for shipping a top receiver to the team that has become your prime divisional opponent. Besides, it’s the job of a manager such as Ruskell to find ways to engage disgruntled but talented employees.

However, it’s not as if they didn’t try.

Coach Mike Holmgren told of his numerous talks with Jackson, urging him to meet his responsibilities.

“He was always very respectful to me,” Holmgren said Sunday. “And when he played on Sundays and when he could practice when he was healthy, he gave us a lot. He didn’t hold anything back. But the extra things, he just chose not to do. I think it reached a point with the organization where enough is enough.”

This move will be hotly debated among fans, even among the Seahawks. With good reason.

Let’s say you’re quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, and you know you’re going to line up this season without Jackson and tight end Jerramy Stevens, players who pulled in 14 of the team’s 26 touchdown passes last season. Gotta think he’s concerned.

Management, on the other hand?

They were going to fork over more than $3 million this year and have to sit there and listen to Jackson repeatedly grousing. Jackson had been heard grumbling at management frequently. “Where’s my money?” he might say to Ruskell, or “You owe me money,” he could mumble at former exec Mike Reinfeldt.

While members of the staff had certainly wearied of some of Jackson’s antics, Holmgren seemed resigned but disappointed it came to a trade.

“I’m sorry it didn’t work out better and that we could keep Darrell here,” Holmgren said.

But coaches like to keep everybody.

Holmgren’s loyalty to his players sometimes extended well beyond the point of diminishing returns. His patience with problem-child receiver Koren Robinson, for instance, led only to repeated off-field incidents.

“We are coming from it from different angles,” Holmgren said of the Jackson issue. “Both Tim and I want to do what’s best for the team.”

Ruskell called Holmgren a big-hearted coach who gets close to his players, but who came to “understand the rationale” of trading Jackson.

This could be a case where the division of power in the organization – coach and general manager – is effective. Ruskell might have wanted to boot Jackson at first complaint; Holmgren might have kept him until retirement.

It’s hard right now to see how the Seahawks are better without Jackson. But Ruskell has earned some critical latitude with the team’s success in his first two seasons.

At any rate, Jackson could have made it all a lot easier by showing up for camps and realizing that even if he doesn’t like his contract, constant complaining isn’t going to change the numbers on his paycheck.

BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:02 pm

This part is my favorite:

The contract, proffered by then-president Bob Whitsitt, bothered Jackson from the minute he signed it. Something about a $25 million contract and $8 million signing bonus offended him. Jackson has long held that some of Whitsitt’s promises never came true. And he never let anybody forget it.

My only gripe is that he's on my fantasy team!

;-7 :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:This part is my favorite:

My only gripe is that he's on my fantasy team!

;-7 :-b

Makes you long for the good ole days when it was for the love of the game and not the money.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:24 pm

Nice article BGBootha. I basically agree 100% with what it is saying. :)
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The_Dude » Thu May 03, 2007 7:48 am

Just my opinion...

Dealing with a griping player, who happens to be the best WR on the team, and the third highest paid WR on the team is a significantly lower cost than trading a 1st round pick for a 4th round pick.

That's essentially what happened.

Ruskell :-t

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby BGbootha » Thu May 03, 2007 9:20 am

I don't think so, getting rid of a headache when you can afford to get rid of him, is a good thing. Ohhh and lets not pretend that Djax was Matt's favorite target, Matt has huge man love for Bobby Engram and always will
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Thu May 03, 2007 12:36 pm

BGbootha wrote:I don't think so, getting rid of a headache when you can afford to get rid of him, is a good thing. Ohhh and lets not pretend that Djax was Matt's favorite target, Matt has huge man love for Bobby Engram and always will

Engram is done and past his prime, he's 34. i thought he was gone for sure...he is nice in the slot and good for those small 5-10 yard catches, where he does have good chemistry with hass......but you cant seriously expect him to be hass's #1 target or even be here producing for another year or 2???? he's a #3 maybe #4 wr on our team.

Speed is gone and durability....he'll be nice to have in the slot and a good option over the middle for our lack of a good TE, but u cant seriously bring him into the equastion.

1. Branch
2. Hackett
3. Burleson/Engram
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby BGbootha » Thu May 03, 2007 12:44 pm

Alkaholik wrote:
BGbootha wrote:I don't think so, getting rid of a headache when you can afford to get rid of him, is a good thing. Ohhh and lets not pretend that Djax was Matt's favorite target, Matt has huge man love for Bobby Engram and always will

Engram is done and past his prime, he's 34. i thought he was gone for sure...he is nice in the slot and good for those small 5-10 yard catches, where he does have good chemistry with hass......but you cant seriously expect him to be hass's #1 target or even be here producing for another year or 2???? he's a #3 maybe #4 wr on our team.

Speed is gone and durability....he'll be nice to have in the slot and a good option over the middle for our lack of a good TE.

NO I don't expect Engram to be #1, but someone mentioned earlier that Djax was Matt's favorite and I disagree. Anytime there is a big play on the line, a big first down, who does matt rely on, Bobby!! Period. Yeah he is old, and yeah he is past his prime, but will he still be Matt's target on 3rd down and in the red zone. You betcha.

Obviously Branch is going to be number one, although I wouldn't be all that surprised if Hackett produces close to #1 numbers. But don't tell anyone in any of the other forums that ;-D
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Seattle Seahawks