Best Year For Summer Movies Ever? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Best Year For Summer Movies Ever?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Best Year For Summer Movies Ever?

Postby Jimboozie » Thu May 03, 2007 6:00 pm

knapplc wrote:Here's the slate for this year's summer movies:

May - Shrek 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 & Spider Man 3
June - Ocean's 13 and Evan Almighty (the sequel to Bruce Almighty) starring Steven Carell
July - Transformers and the next Harry Potter
August - Bourne Ultimatum

That's a pretty cool lineup of movies. Lots of "installment #3" of each movie franchise, too.

Is anyone else geeked up for this summer's movies?

I think this thread title should be renamed "Another summer of crappy sequels". ;-)
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu May 03, 2007 6:18 pm

I don't know when it's getting released, but Die Hard 4 tops my list of movies I want to see. It actually looks like a solid addition to the series. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Thu May 03, 2007 6:38 pm

knapplc wrote:Here's the slate for this year's summer movies:

May - Shrek 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 & Spider Man 3
June - Ocean's 13 and Evan Almighty (the sequel to Bruce Almighty) starring Steven Carell
July - Transformers and the next Harry Potter
August - Bourne Ultimatum

That's a pretty cool lineup of movies. Lots of "installment #3" of each movie franchise, too.

Is anyone else geeked up for this summer's movies?

my wife and I don't go to the theater much, but we'll be seeing a few movies this summer. Pirates and Spidey 3, Transformers and Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix are for sure goes! I might talk my wife into going to Shrek 3 (for my daughter, of course :-D ). We'll probably pass on Evan Almighty and watch it on PPV...maybe....or even wait until it comes out on showtime or hbo or starz. Bourne...hmmm...We didnt see the first two in theaters, but its a maybe if we're bored enough. We haven't even seen Ocean's 12. Sooooo... :-b
Last edited by Munboy on Thu May 03, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 03, 2007 6:40 pm

Looks disappointing to me. Admittedly, I don't generally go for the big blockbuster type movies, but has Hollywood lost all originality and creativity? Are the major studios afraid to put out anything that isn't a sequel/remake? It's been this way for a few years now, at least with the summer releases.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu May 03, 2007 7:51 pm

I can't wait for POTC 3 ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby beanoX3 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I don't know when it's getting released, but Die Hard 4 tops my list of movies I want to see. It actually looks like a solid addition to the series. ;-D

The latest rumor of Die Hard 4 is that FOX is going to force a PG-13 rating. If that happens, I'll be less enthused about watching it. :-P

I've also heard that Shrek 3's humor is even less for adults than the previous 2. Not that I was looking forward to it anyways.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jimboozie » Thu May 03, 2007 8:06 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I don't know when it's getting released, but Die Hard 4 tops my list of movies I want to see. It actually looks like a solid addition to the series. ;-D

The latest rumor of Die Hard 4 is that FOX is going to force a PG-13 rating. If that happens, I'll be less enthused about watching it. :-P

I've also heard that Shrek 3's humor is even less for adults than the previous 2. Not that I was looking forward to it anyways.

That better just be a rumor. :-P

The trailer looks kinda weak, John McTiernan isn't directing and that PC vs Mac guy is in it, so I've already lost a lot of interest. If they slap a PG-13 rating on it, I won't even bother seeing it at the theaters.

!+)
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Thu May 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Looks disappointing to me. Admittedly, I don't generally go for the big blockbuster type movies, but has Hollywood lost all originality and creativity? Are the major studios afraid to put out anything that isn't a sequel/remake? It's been this way for a few years now, at least with the summer releases.

YES -- Why take a risk on something original when the sequels and comic book films guarantee big bucks? !+) :-t
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beanoX3 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Jimboozie wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Looks disappointing to me. Admittedly, I don't generally go for the big blockbuster type movies, but has Hollywood lost all originality and creativity? Are the major studios afraid to put out anything that isn't a sequel/remake? It's been this way for a few years now, at least with the summer releases.

YES -- Why take a risk on something original when the sequels and comic book films guarantee big bucks? !+) :-t

Yup. The Fantastic Four sequel is being made (dunno when its being released) and they've also got another Hulk movie in the works. Ed Norton as the Hulk is an odd choice, but somewhat interesting. Also a Hellboy sequel and another Frank Miller graphic novel is being made into a movie too.

And isn't the next Resident Evil movie coming out soon? I also know that there's supposed to be another Alien vs. Predator movie being made too. AVP was neutered into a PG-13 crapfest and RE movies have deviated entirely from the games. I've no idea why such crap movies keep getting sequels.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:27 pm

Jimboozie wrote:I think this thread title should be renamed "Another summer of crappy sequels". ;-)

Agreed. Even with the one's I'm excited about, I see ill omens.

Bourne 3 - The movies are painfully bad to anyone who read the books, and this final installment, if its got even a shred of the last book (huge let down after the first two) will be atrocious.

Shrek 3 - I couldn't believe they pulled off that ridiculous plot for Shrek 2, but they did. I just don't think they can push this any further, and will sully a good duo.

Spiderman 3 - So, Venom, the Hobgoblin, and Sandman all in one movie? Is this going to be 6-8 hours long? Venom's story alone could and should be an entire movie. Casting choices aside, I think they're cramming way too much into 1 film, and a cursory job is not what I'm looking for.

Pirates 3 - Aside from milking a dried up cow, or just having fun with a great character, I really don't see the point of either sequel. Problem will be the least disappointing sequel this summer (maybe) but certainly not something I'd rush out to theatres to watch.

Ocean's 13 - Let it die. Ocean's 12 wasn't horrible enough they had to make it even worse? Ocean's 11 was a great remake of an old film, the sequels have ruined its memory.

Potter 5 - This is the one beacon of sequel hope. This is the only movie franchise that got progressively better with each film. 1 was a very childish tale, good family film, but kinda boring to an adult, 2 got a little more serious and showed some promise, 3 and 4 really grew up the story, and made this very much no longer a children's movie. Great cast, great adaptations, and no signs of getting worse, in fact the opposite.

Also, put me down for Transformers. I saw the cartoon movie in theatres, there isn't any way I'm missing what might be one of the best special effects displays yet.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk