Teacher Makes 7-year-old Hit Himself - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Teacher Makes 7-year-old Hit Himself

Moderator: Football Moderators

Teacher Makes 7-year-old Hit Himself

Postby sox 06 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:53 pm

This is just sick and ridiculous :-t
A music teacher who twice ordered a seven-year-old pupil to hit himself in the head with drum mallets will not return to the Parkway School District next year.

The incident happened on February Ninth in teacher Paul Provencio's music class at Carman Trails Elementary School in suburban St. Louis.

State officials say the 36-year-old teacher intended the head-banging as a lesson to Justin Barricklow about hitting the drums too hard.

The Missouri Department of Social Services investigated the case at the request of the boy's father, Scott Barricklow, who works as a groundskeeper for the Parkway district.

Provencio has since apologized. School officials called the incident "unprofessional and totally inappropriate."
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teacher Makes 7-year-old Hit Himself

Postby treat24 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:56 pm

much tamer than i imagined it was gonna be...

ALL I could picture was Nelson saying "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself"
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Teacher Makes 7-year-old Hit Himself

Postby terpfan » Fri May 04, 2007 2:04 pm

treat24 wrote:much tamer than i imagined it was gonna be...

ALL I could picture was Nelson saying "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself"

Haha thats the first thing I thought too.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri May 04, 2007 2:27 pm

Sad, but it also sounds like it may be blown out of proportion as well. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Fri May 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Yeah I would be curious to what really happened. It could have gone mroe extreme both ways. But in all reality, it could have been closer to. "hey billy, don't hit the drums that hard, think about hitting yourself in the head, and hit the drums that hard."
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby RWLongy4 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:12 pm

Serves the kid right, he should learn to play the drums better.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri May 04, 2007 8:33 pm

BGbootha wrote:Yeah I would be curious to what really happened. It could have gone mroe extreme both ways. But in all reality, it could have been closer to. "hey billy, don't hit the drums that hard, think about hitting yourself in the head, and hit the drums that hard."

Yeah, I am guessing it was further towards that than, "YOU IDIOT, THAT'S TOO HARD, GO SIT IN THE CORNER AND HIT YOUR HEAD!!!!!" :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 05, 2007 12:05 am

This sounds ridiculous to me. Sounds like the teacher may have had some poor judgement in trying to make a point, but the kid most likely told his parents (as he should) and the parents overreacted without talking to the teacher. It's a short article with very little information, like if there were bruises or if the kid even thought it hurt. Or how many times he was asked to plunk himself in the noggin with the mallets.

All in all, poor judgement by the teacher, but quite possibly an overreaction by everyone else.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat May 05, 2007 12:20 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Image

This sounds ridiculous to me. Sounds like the teacher may have had some poor judgement in trying to make a point, but the kid most likely told his parents (as he should) and the parents overreacted without talking to the teacher. It's a short article with very little information, like if there were bruises or if the kid even thought it hurt. Or how many times he was asked to plunk himself in the noggin with the mallets.

All in all, poor judgement by the teacher, but quite possibly an overreaction by everyone else.

Exactly. Oh and don't let pictures fool you. Those mallets can be incredibly hard. I have been hit in the head with one before. !+)
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Munboy » Sat May 05, 2007 2:34 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Image

Exactly. Oh and don't let pictures fool you. Those mallets can be incredibly hard. I have been hit in the head with one before. !+)

That explains a lot.... :-b

And as a drummer, I can testify that those mallets look fluffy and soft, but they are NOT. :-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to General Talk