The perfect sig! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Contests and Showing Off

The perfect sig!

Moderators: deluxe_247, Football Moderators

The perfect sig!

Postby boehlerking01 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:09 am

In the perfect sig what do you all look for??

Whats the most improtant thing??

The render?

The blending?

The spacing?

The lettering??

What makes the perfect sig??

I'm kinda trying to figure out what to shoot for when I do mine.
boehlerking01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smackthefirst » Sun May 06, 2007 11:38 am

Time for a little old school insight. There really is no "perfect sig" or even "perfect" way to go about it. The most important aspects to me are originality and continuity. For example, a certain font may look perfect with one design and then completely out of place on another design. The most important part is making sure the text, the background, and the images go together smoothly.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby madaslives911 » Sun May 06, 2007 12:07 pm

it's hard to be perfect but everything can be improved ...
we are just humans and we learn by our mistakes. B-)
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Sun May 06, 2007 12:37 pm

To me the " perfect sig" is impossible. Simply because everyone has a wide variety of opinions in what their personal preference is in style. I noticed during some of the Sig Contest, I was the only one who gave a certain sig a vote. That's because for my personal taste, it was the best. ;-D

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby boehlerking01 » Sun May 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Ok but each person has things that they look for when they are giving cnc to a sig...those things are what I'm looking to improve on...I know each person has different opinions but for the most part alot of people agree that a sig that is too cluttered don't look as good as a sig that is not.....

When YOU are laying out what you are going to put into a sig.What feel are YOU going for...Thats what I'm looking for....

I know that if everybody thought that the grunge sig was the best that is all we would get but I think that a general layout will be basically the same for all of them....

These are things I have been looking at myself.

1.A good render that will be the focal point to the sig...
2.Maybe a couple stocks that fit in well...
3.Decent blending and lighting..
4.A font that fits nicely...

Do you guys lay a sig out before making it or is that just somthing I do?? Maybe I'm too anal about stuff but I think if I can get a feel for what people LIKE I can maybe improve on those ideas and make them better.
boehlerking01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Web Supporter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun May 06, 2007 3:41 pm

The big thing is what is called flow. It's necessary that you sig flow from one side all the way to the other. It should have some continuity to it as well. That's not to say that there can't be some abruptness or high contrast, but it should flow together well.

If you will look at the tut I posted then that is the big reason for doing the adjustment layers. It will help you colors to flow together and the brightness to flow better.

With my sigs, sometimes they start with a render and sometimes they start with a background that I start to play around with. The best thing is after you get your render, go ahead and try to put your text in (not all sigs, but sometimes) that way the effects on your render and the lighting will be above your text as well.

I know that my old sigs had the render and the text as the two top layers in my sig a lot of times. Now they are generally at/towards the bottom or in the middle.

These are a few things that you can try and my ideas on stuff.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby richwyld » Sun May 06, 2007 5:35 pm

the bg and the cut of the render
richwyld
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun May 06, 2007 5:38 pm

richwyld wrote:the bg and the cut of the render

Well the cut of the render shouldn't even be a question. That can be fixed easily.

As for the BG, I am trying to learn not to think of it as a bg as much since that implies that it is behind everything else and if you think of the whole thing as a piece together, your sigs start to flow better IMO.

But anyway, yeah, the "background" is very important though.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun May 06, 2007 6:03 pm

i decide pretty much everything in my sig based on the render. the pose and size of the picture i use determines the flow, balance, and how much space i need to fill in the background, and if ill use text...or how big it will be. for me, everything revolves around the render. it is the foundation of my work. when i look at the picture, the background and overall layout will be become more clear and i move from there. stocks, lighting and text are all tools i use to improve a sig (finishing touches), but the layout is more important IMO.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun May 06, 2007 9:26 pm

So I guess the thing that you can figure out from this is that there is no right answer to your question. I don't disagree with anybody in this thread, but I have different ways that I do some things than others.

That's the beauty of it though. If there was a "right" answer to this question then I wouldn't be designing. Wouldn't be too much fun then. :-B :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Contests and Showing Off