Brewer Ordered to Pay Alcoholic Taster - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Brewer Ordered to Pay Alcoholic Taster

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brewer Ordered to Pay Alcoholic Taster

Postby sox 06 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:07 pm

A Brazilian court has ordered a brewer to pay $49,000 to an alcoholic beer taster who said he drank more than 3 pints of beer a day.

The unidentified employee alleged that the company did not provide the health measures needed to keep him from developing alcoholism, a labor court in the Rio Grande do Sul state said in a statement Friday.

The employee said in his lawsuit that for more than a decade, he drank 16 to 25 small glasses of beer during his eight-hour shifts at the company

He also said he received a bottle of beer after each shift.

An initial ruling had favored Ambev, or Companhia de Bebidas das Americas, which can still appeal the decision. The local brewing company alleged the employee already was an alcoholic before becoming a beer taster.

Judge Jose Felipe Ledur said the company still was negligent because an alcoholic should never have been made a beer taster.

Ledur also said the employee's alcohol dependency had worsened in recent years and that even on vacation, the employee felt like drinking the same amount of beer he drank at work.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Mon May 07, 2007 2:40 pm

poor guy. gets paid for drinking at work. and gets free beer. :-B
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby eaglesrule » Mon May 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Hmmm. I used to work in the wine industry, the journalistic side of things, and the you aren't even supposed to swallow if you are an official taster or winemaker etc. I personally also think that in circumstances like that, employers should be exempt, since the crux of the business hinges on drinking.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beanoX3 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:42 pm

What health measures exist that can help prevent alcoholism if your job is to drink 3 pints every single day?? 8-o :-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moonhead » Mon May 07, 2007 2:45 pm

beanoX3 wrote:What health measures exist that can help prevent alcoholism if your job is to drink 3 pints every single day?? 8-o :-?

like 3 pints is so much. wow, what a raging drunk!
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby sox 06 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:45 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Hmmm. I used to work in the wine industry, the journalistic side of things, and the you aren't even supposed to swallow if you are an official taster or winemaker etc. I personally also think that in circumstances like that, employers should be exempt, since the crux of the business hinges on drinking.

I also thought they are supposed to swish the alcohol around in their mouth and then spit it out :-?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:51 pm

moonhead wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:What health measures exist that can help prevent alcoholism if your job is to drink 3 pints every single day?? 8-o :-?

like 3 pints is so much. wow, what a raging drunk!

LOL.

I know several people who drink more than that a day and their job is in no way associated with the alcohol industry. :-b

Then again, this is Brazil. What beer do they produce?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:35 pm

NORM!!!!

dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby eaglesrule » Mon May 07, 2007 4:20 pm

sorry, I wasn't clear.

Yes, if you are a quality taster, winemaker/brewer/distiller/critic you are suppossed to do the swish and spit.

I could have written that more clearly. I just meant that the very nature of the industry obviously hinges on not being a teetotaler. It's kind of like the ice cream taster complaining of high cholesterol. I don't really want to name the publication, but I used to work for a magazine predicated on things not good for you per se, but enjoyable. Anyway, one high level member of staff didn't partake. It's kind of silly when you think about, as partaking is implicict with some jobs.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Mon May 07, 2007 5:55 pm

eaglesrule wrote:sorry, I wasn't clear.

Yes, if you are a quality taster, winemaker/brewer/distiller/critic you are suppossed to do the swish and spit.

I could have written that more clearly. I just meant that the very nature of the industry obviously hinges on not being a teetotaler. It's kind of like the ice cream taster complaining of high cholesterol. I don't really want to name the publication, but I used to work for a magazine predicated on things not good for you per se, but enjoyable. Anyway, one high level member of staff didn't partake. It's kind of silly when you think about, as partaking is implicict with some jobs.

You worked for High Times? :-b
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk