Doping committee still after Lance Armstrong? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Doping committee still after Lance Armstrong?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Doping committee still after Lance Armstrong?

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:39 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=af ... &type=lgns

Floyd Landis claims that the doping committee offered him a lesser punishment if he could prove Armstrong guilty.

Landis says USADA sought dirt on Armstrong

AFP
May 11, 2007
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Floyd Landis warmed up for his doping arbitration hearing with another swipe at the US Anti-Doping Agency, claiming USADA offered him a short sentence if he provided information incriminating Lance Armstrong.

Landis, who is battling to keep his 2006 Tour de France title, said that USADA general counsel Travis Tygart approached his attorney, Howard Jacobs, with a deal shortly after learning of Landis's positive doping test during the Tour.

"That took place in the first conversation between USADA (the US Anti-Doping Agency) and my lawyer," Landis said at a press conference looking ahead to the start of his arbitration hearing on Monday.

"Unless Mr. Landis waives the Confidentiality rule, I can't speak," Tygart said of the claim. "If he does waive the confidentiality rule, I'll be happy to address all of his ridiculous claims."

USADA has in the past reduced penalties for those who provide evidence of doping violations by others, but asking for information about specific athletes is not allowed.

Landis, who stands to lose his tour title as well as face a ban, said he had no information that would incriminate Armstrong, the seven-time winner of the Tour de France who has faced numerous unproven doping accusations.

Landis said he didn't expect the subject to arise during his hearing before a three-man panel of the American Arbitration Association, which is expected to last 10 days.

"We would wish the hearing would be about science and about a doping case," he said.

Landis and his advisers argue that the French laboratory that found an unusually high level of testosterone in his sample given after the stunning stage 17 triumph that keyed his Tour victory failed to follow proper procedures in handling the samples.

"All I can hope for, really, is that the three arbitrators will listen to the facts in the case," he said.

However, the French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) on Friday claimed that allegations of improper procedures had been proven unfounded following an examination of the process followed which resulted in Landis's positive test by three independent experts.

"The three independent experts are in accordance with the results and that the laboratory (Chatenay-Malabry) worked in a very professional way," AFLD president Pierre Bordry said.

Bordry said that they had passed on their findings to the USADA.

"Landis refused to provide the USADA with the report from these experts so I've decided to pass it on directly to the USADA," he added.

Landis's lawyers have called on Chatenay-Malabry director Jacques de Ceaurriz and six lab technicals to appear before the hearing.
Last edited by steelerfan513 on Fri May 11, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Fri May 11, 2007 10:47 pm

What a mess. Who knows who is telling the truth in that fiasco anymore. I don't trust any of them...especially the French.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: Doping committee still after Lance Armstrong

Postby treat24 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:54 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=af ... &type=lgns

Floyd Landis claims that the doping committee offered him a lesser punishment if he could prove Armstrong guilty.

Landis says USADA sought dirt on Armstrong

AFP
May 11, 2007
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Floyd Landis warmed up for his doping arbitration hearing with another swipe at the US Anti-Doping Agency, claiming USADA offered him a short sentence if he provided information incriminating Lance Armstrong.

Landis, who is battling to keep his 2006 Tour de France title, said that USADA general counsel Travis Tygart approached his attorney, Howard Jacobs, with a deal shortly after learning of Landis's positive doping test during the Tour.

"That took place in the first conversation between USADA (the US Anti-Doping Agency) and my lawyer," Landis said at a press conference looking ahead to the start of his arbitration hearing on Monday.

"Unless Mr. Landis waives the Confidentiality rule, I can't speak," Tygart said of the claim. "If he does waive the confidentiality rule, I'll be happy to address all of his ridiculous claims."

USADA has in the past reduced penalties for those who provide evidence of doping violations by others, but asking for information about specific athletes is not allowed.

Landis, who stands to lose his tour title as well as face a ban, said he had no information that would incriminate Armstrong, the seven-time winner of the Tour de France who has faced numerous unproven doping accusations.

Landis said he didn't expect the subject to arise during his hearing before a three-man panel of the American Arbitration Association, which is expected to last 10 days.

"We would wish the hearing would be about science and about a doping case," he said.

Landis and his advisers argue that the French laboratory that found an unusually high level of testosterone in his sample given after the stunning stage 17 triumph that keyed his Tour victory failed to follow proper procedures in handling the samples.

"All I can hope for, really, is that the three arbitrators will listen to the facts in the case," he said.

However, the French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) on Friday claimed that allegations of improper procedures had been proven unfounded following an examination of the process followed which resulted in Landis's positive test by three independent experts.

"The three independent experts are in accordance with the results and that the laboratory (Chatenay-Malabry) worked in a very professional way," AFLD president Pierre Bordry said.

Bordry said that they had passed on their findings to the USADA.

"Landis refused to provide the USADA with the report from these experts so I've decided to pass it on directly to the USADA," he added.

Landis's lawyers have called on Chatenay-Malabry director Jacques de Ceaurriz and six lab technicals to appear before the hearing.

i agree with what espn said all day and last night... you can't believe a word outta landis' mouth... he lies constantly...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby eman » Fri May 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Biking as a whole has turned into a BS-fest. First it was randomly accusing lance of doping. Then Landis getting accused due to a test that detects a chemical that can actually be present due solely to the gruelling nature of biking. (Ive talked to bikers about this, and they were quick to point this out to me) Now this...quite frankly I only believe Armstrong at this point.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sportsaddict » Fri May 11, 2007 11:19 pm

Because Lance Armstrong is an American, everyone in France hates him. He beats them at their very own game, and he dominated it for years. So, they are out to get him. I don't believe any of this crap. It's just the French angry over the fact that he's owned them.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:52 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Because Lance Armstrong is an American, everyone in France hates him. He beats them at their very own game, and he dominated it for years. So, they are out to get him. I don't believe any of this crap. It's just the French angry over the fact that he's owned them.

When I first saw this article, I thought that was the case as well, but it is actually the US Anti-Doping Agency that is allegedly going after him.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dgan » Sat May 12, 2007 12:34 am

eman wrote:Biking as a whole has turned into a BS-fest. First it was randomly accusing lance of doping. Then Landis getting accused due to a test that detects a chemical that can actually be present due solely to the gruelling nature of biking. (Ive talked to bikers about this, and they were quick to point this out to me) Now this...quite frankly I only believe Armstrong at this point.

I had heard that as well, however it is my understanding that the levels were so high (allegedly) that it would have been impossible to be natural. I plead ignorance on such matters, though, and like you only believe Armstrong at this point.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:49 am

sportsaddict wrote:Because Lance Armstrong is an American, everyone in France hates him. He beats them at their very own game, and he dominated it for years. So, they are out to get him. I don't believe any of this crap. It's just the French angry over the fact that he's owned them.

it's the USADA ... americans are after him
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:52 am

treat24 wrote:

it's the USADA ... americans are after him

Look up; I posted that already. n00b :-b

I tease, I tease. ;-)
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat May 12, 2007 3:32 am

I used to really like cycling...now it looks increasingly more like a giant joke.

I'm almost in the Kornheiser camp on this one - let EVERYONE take drugs and see who does the best. That way you know everyone is on the same playing field (well, at least the ones who have the best drugs :-P).

(Dare I try to draw a parallel to NASCAR and the different teams' developmental "strategies?" :-X)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk