Doping committee still after Lance Armstrong? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Doping committee still after Lance Armstrong?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:29 am

Didn't they go to ridiculous extremes of testing Lance in his last race because they were so desperate to prove he was doping and come up with nothing?

I'm sorry, but he's done racing, he's been tested, he came up clean every time. Even if they think he was doping, how are you ever going to prove it? Lance is perhaps the most dominate biker ever, one of the most dominate athletes of all time in his respective sport until proof of doping can be found, and how can it?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Sat May 12, 2007 6:26 am

maddog60 wrote:Didn't they go to ridiculous extremes of testing Lance in his last race because they were so desperate to prove he was doping and come up with nothing?

I'm sorry, but he's done racing, he's been tested, he came up clean every time. Even if they think he was doping, how are you ever going to prove it? Lance is perhaps the most dominate biker ever, one of the most dominate athletes of all time in his respective sport until proof of doping can be found, and how can it?

The man can do more with one nut than I could do with four. That makes him the baddest athlete around in my book. ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby VaderFin » Sat May 12, 2007 8:45 am

Basso admitted to taking drugs and being involved in the doping scandal from last year. Then he retracted and said he only meant to take drugs but actually didn't do it. You really can't believe any of them. As much as I want to believe Lance is 100% clean I really can't believe with all my heart.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:57 am

No one can believe what Landis says anymore and I don't think you can believe what any athlete says about drugs/steroids. I want to believe that Armstrong is clean but there's something in me that won't allow that.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eman » Sat May 12, 2007 12:42 pm

dgan wrote:
eman wrote:Biking as a whole has turned into a BS-fest. First it was randomly accusing lance of doping. Then Landis getting accused due to a test that detects a chemical that can actually be present due solely to the gruelling nature of biking. (Ive talked to bikers about this, and they were quick to point this out to me) Now this...quite frankly I only believe Armstrong at this point.

I had heard that as well, however it is my understanding that the levels were so high (allegedly) that it would have been impossible to be natural. I plead ignorance on such matters, though, and like you only believe Armstrong at this point.

Yea, Im not very familiar with cycling myself so its all just word of mouth for me, but those who Ive talked to have said that the ratio of T:E that the USADA considers to be "illegal" are far lower than the maximum amounts a cycler can obtain solely through the natural means of a race.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Sat May 12, 2007 2:03 pm

sox 06 wrote:No one can believe what Landis says anymore and I don't think you can believe what any athlete says about drugs/steroids. I want to believe that Armstrong is clean but there's something in me that won't allow that.

yeah... i agree... I don't believe landis in anything he says... no way... but i do not believe armstrong was clean eaither. too many accusations from too many unrelated sources... i know innocent til proven guilty... but there are people on different sides of the issue and people with nothing to gain from it talking about lance's use... I believe he did, and i also believe nothing will ever come from it... like bonds, like the kobe/colorado situation, heck... even like OJ simpson... guilty or not (most likely guilty) very little if anything will touch him concerning this
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Sat May 12, 2007 2:13 pm

All of you people who believe Armstrong was dirty - why? Where's your evidence?

In the history of sport Lance Armstrong is the most tested athlete ever. They would show up at his house weeks away from any race, unannounced, and have him pee in a cup, give blood, whatever. He was tested DAILY during Le Tour.

Not one time did he come up dirty. Not once.

So why the animosity? Just because tons of other guys have, that doesn't mean Armstrong is guilty, too. It just doesn't work that way.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Doping committee still after Lance Armstrong?

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Update:

Lance Armstrong facing lifetime ban, loss of titles
By Chelsea J. Carter, CNN
updated 5:43 PM EDT, Fri August 24, 2012

(CNN) -- Famed cyclist Lance Armstrong is facing the loss of seven Tour de France titles and his storied championship legacy after ending his fight against charges of illegal doping.

Armstrong's move prompted the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency early Friday to slap a lifetime ban on Armstrong and strip him of his wins since 1998. The cyclist announced late Thursday that he had decided not to contest what he called unfair charges of illegal doping, allegations he has consistently denied.

"If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA's process I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and -- once and for all -- put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance," he said in a statement released Thursday. "I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair."

But there's a question of whether the agency has authority in the case. International agencies will review and possibly appeal the decision before Armstrong would face a ban and a loss of his titles.

The International Cycling Union has previously opposed the anti-doping actions by claiming it has jurisdiction. That position has been recently backed by USA Cycling, the official cycling organization recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee. The cycling union said Friday it won't comment until the anti-doping group issues "a reasoned decision" explaining its stance. Armstrong has said the cycling union and not the agency should conduct the arbitration in his case.

The World Anti-Doping Agency's president, John Fahey, said on Australian radio he is disappointed that doping allegations made against Armstrong won't be tested because of his decision not to challenge them. He said the allegations have credibility.

con't...

more: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/sport/lan ... ?hpt=hp_c1

also:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/sport/lan ... ?hpt=hp_c1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:27 pm

I can't say I really blame him for wanting to walk away at this point. The guy has a life to live and what's it worth if he's just sitting in court all the time trying to fight a battle that really doesn't need to be won at this point? People are going to believe what they choose to, regardless. I actually commend the guy for saying "screw this, I'm out."
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 am

I've heard all kinds of things about this saga. Seems like all the witnesses were going to corroborate the same story, including George Hincapie, Lance's right arm through all seven of his wins in Le Tour. If true, Hincapie's testimony would be the most damning of all.

However, testimony is one thing. Failed tests are another. Armstrong has been tested hundreds of times, boasted for over a decade that he's the world's most-tested athlete. The number of positive tests still sits at zero.

I, frankly, don't care about this anymore. I've been following Le Tour since Greg LeMond was a fixture back in the 80s. It's probably safe to say that there hasn't been a Tour de France champion who hasn't "cheated" in some way in the past 40 years. So if Armstrong really did... so?

It's not OK. It's not right. But at this point, nobody cares anymore. And the USADA looks like a pack of fools today, while Armstrong's popularity continues to ride high.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk