Redskins OTA's..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Redskins OTA's..

Postby mrblitz » Sat May 12, 2007 8:02 pm

Gibbs Wraps Up First Week of OTAs
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
May 10, 2007

Head coach Joe Gibbs spoke with reporters after Thursday's OTA practice. He commented on safety Sean Taylor and cornerback Shawn Springs, neither of whom were in attendance for the start of the OTA sessions this week.
"Obviously, it's disappointing--you want everybody here," Gibbs said.

He added: "It's something that can happen up here, and it's something that you're going to have to work your way through. We'll just have to see how it works with those two guys."

Gibbs said he has not been in contact with Taylor and Springs in recent weeks.

OTA attendance is not mandatory for players. In years past, however, coaches have encouraged players to attend.

The Redskins' OTA practices run from Tuesday to Thursday through mid-June, leading up to the Redskins' mini-camp on June 15-17.

"My focus is on the guys who are here," Gibbs said. "We have a few injury concerns, but it's nothing like it was last year. I was impressed the first week. We have guys here who care a lot about the team and we have some very good leaders.

"We were all really disappointed with last year, and I think we all wanted to start off on a good tempo. We got off to a good start."

Several players are sitting out the OTA practices as they recuperate from off-season surgeries.

Defensive end Phillip Daniels had surgery on his wrist and ankle, linebacker Marcus Washington had hip surgery, safety Pierson Prioleau had knee surgery and quarterback Mark Brunell and running back Clinton Portis both had shoulder surgery.

Wide receiver Santana Moss sustained a strained groin injury during practice on Wednesday, so he was held out of Thursday's practice.

"That's always a concern because no matter what their off-season running program is, it's different when they come out here, run a route and burst for a ball," Gibbs said. "I spoke with Santana and Brandon [Lloyd] about it. You always worry about your receivers.

"Between OTAs and training camp, we need to make sure that their running program includes running routes, jerking for a ball and making good, quick cuts."

Gibbs commented that quarterback Jason Campbell has been dedicated to improving his game this offseason, and that it's starting to pay dividends.

Campbell is more comfortable, confident and can react to game situations better, Gibbs said.

"He's worked extremely hard, and I think it's made a difference. The players noticed it, and all of the coaches noticed it. Generally you don't do real hard things unless you've had great preparation. Based on the first three days [of OTAs], I'd say [Campbell's level of preparation] shows."

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Sat May 12, 2007 8:04 pm

I love what I'm hearing about Jason Campbell. I'm really excited to see him play this year. He's definitely putting in the work.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Washington Redskins