Return to General Talk

Opie & Anthony in hot water

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opie & Anthony in hot water

Postby stomperrob » Mon May 14, 2007 2:18 pm

The two of them and XM Radio have issued apologies

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:46 a.m. EDT

'Opie & Anthony' Apologize for Condi Rice Radio Rape

XM Satellite Radio shock jocks Opie and Anthony apologized Friday for airing a homeless man's crude comments that he'd like to have sex with Condoleezza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth.

The remarks were made on their show Wednesday by a guest the duo call Homeless Charlie. As the name of each woman came up, the guest said he would like to have sex with her - using language not fit for print.

Opie and Anthony laughed as they imagined Rice's "horror" while describing a violent sexual encounter in which Rice is punched in the face.

Washington-based XM condemned the remarks.

"We deplore the comments made on Wednesday's 'Opie & Anthony Show,'" XM spokesman Nathaniel Brown told The Associated Press on Friday. He would not say whether XM planned to take disciplinary action.

Opie and Anthony, whose full names are Anthony Cumia and Greg "Opie" Hughes, apologized to listeners on Friday's show.

"We apologize to the public officials for comments that we made on our XM show on May 9th. We take very seriously the responsibility that comes with our creative freedom and regret any offense that this segment has caused," they said.

Because the show airs on satellite radio, there are no federal restrictions on its content. According to XM's Web site, the radio service has parental controls that allow users to block access to channels that frequently contain explicit language. Those channels are designated with an "XL" notation.

The same radio duo was dumped by CBS Radio in August 2002 for running a contest in which they said two listeners had sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral. They were hired by XM in 2004.

The remarks could become an issue as XM seeks approval from the Federal Communications Commission to merge with New York-based Sirius Satellite Radio, said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade magazine Inside Radio. "XM and Sirius don't want any regulation," he said in Friday's New York Daily News. "But it's come up in four congressional hearings - and at this point, the merger is such a close call, any issue could become important."

© 2007 Associated Press.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon May 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Really, is anyone surprised by this?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vitalogist » Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 pm

what a bunch of moron stern-wannabees. thats all they'll ever be...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Mon May 14, 2007 2:36 pm

vitalogist wrote:what a bunch of moron stern-wannabees. thats all they'll ever be...

Couldn't agree more. :-t

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon May 14, 2007 10:12 pm

knapplc wrote:Really, is anyone surprised by this?

No, and I am not surprised by anything I hear that happened on satellite radio.

If the FCC isn't going to restrict them like they do other radio, then whatever. If you listen, you have to expect that. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Mon May 14, 2007 10:25 pm

god.

if we didn't blow crap like this out of proportion no one would even tune in to these no talent ass clowns' shows.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 15, 2007 7:19 pm

Update - 30 day suspension:

May 15, 2007

XM suspends Opie and Anthony

So much for satellite radio being a medium where shock jocks can get away with anything. XM Satellite Radio (XMSR) announced Tuesday that the network was suspending Gregg “Opie” Hughes and Anthony Cumia and ceasing to broadcast their “Opie and Anthony” show for 30 days effective immediately.

The two came under fire last week after they aired a segment that featured a homeless person saying he wanted to have sex with Condoleeza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth. The two even joked about Rice being raped and punched in the face. (We’re not going to link to their comments, but for those of you who want to hear exactly what they said, the audio can be easily Googled.)

Although the shock jocks apologized on Monday’s show, XM did not seem satisifed with their remarks.

“XM Radio deplored the comments aired on “The Opie & Anthony Show” last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology,” the company said in the statement.

“Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday’s broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them,” the company added.

The Opie and Anthony controversy could not come at a worse time for XM, which has agreed to merge with rival Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI). That deal needs to get the approval of both the Federal Communications Commission and Justice Department - and there is a growing sense that regulatory opposition may kill the deal. Several members of Congress have also come out saying that they are against the merger.

It just goes to show that even for satellite radio, where hosts can curse and use other objectionable language since they are not being broadcast on free “terrestrial” radio, racy comments can get on-air personalities in trouble.

So at the risk of angering many readers who flamed me when I suggested that there was no way Sirius or XM would hire Don Imus after CBS (CBS) fired him for his racist and sexist remarks about the Rutgers college women’s basketball team …I told you so.

The fact that XM was willing to suspend Opie and Anthony is proof that offensive programming could hurt even satellite radio, a medium that does not depend on advertising dollars as free radio does. XM and Sirius do have to worry about losing subscribers if shock jocks go too far.

The suspension also demonstrates how scared the satellite radio companies are of looking like the poster children for bad behavior at a time when XM and Sirius will depend on the goodwill of the government to green-light their merger.

Many readers argued that Opie and Anthony got away with a lot because of the fact that people have to pay for satellite radio and suggested that Imus could do the same.

But it’s really starting to look like all radio hosts, whether they work for free radio or satellite, are going to be held accountable for controversial comments. And XM is making it clear that if they have to sacrifice Opie and Anthony in order to have any hope of getting approval for the Sirius merger, they will do it.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue May 15, 2007 7:29 pm

The only reason that XM is doing this is because they are going to Merge with Sirius...

Why does this matter?

There are going to be Congressional Hearings on whether Sat. radio will be controlled by the FCC. Currently, It isn't, and I'll explain why later. But Sirius is VERY concerned about these hearings due to their investment in Stern. And It will look a TON better if, when they go in front of the panel, they can say they punished these guys, and they can regulate themselves. So, in reality, Sirius is making XM bite the bullet, by holding the Merger over their heads...

Sat. Radio is currently not under the FCC. Same reason the internet is free of regulation. You pay to bring them into your home. Same reason you can subscribe to playboy TV. If you make the conscious decision to purchase an ISP, or a Sat. Radio, you are expected to consciously investigate the content before you do.

Let's hope, for the sake of a free internet, that Sat. Radio stays regulation free... Because internet will be next in line. :-o
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby vitalogist » Tue May 15, 2007 8:44 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:The only reason that XM is doing this is because they are going to Merge with Sirius...

Why does this matter?

There are going to be Congressional Hearings on whether Sat. radio will be controlled by the FCC. Currently, It isn't, and I'll explain why later. But Sirius is VERY concerned about these hearings due to their investment in Stern. And It will look a TON better if, when they go in front of the panel, they can say they punished these guys, and they can regulate themselves. So, in reality, Sirius is making XM bite the bullet, by holding the Merger over their heads...

Sat. Radio is currently not under the FCC. Same reason the internet is free of regulation. You pay to bring them into your home. Same reason you can subscribe to playboy TV. If you make the conscious decision to purchase an ISP, or a Sat. Radio, you are expected to consciously investigate the content before you do.

Let's hope, for the sake of a free internet, that Sat. Radio stays regulation free... Because internet will be next in line. :-o

very interesting never thought of that.

as a sirius subscriber i cant stand the idea of stern being f'd with by the fcc again. another big reason for this is the clear channel side of the story. clear channel is scared of sat radio when in reality it is less than 10 million subscribers - a miniscule fraction of the radio listening public. whats to be afraid of?

hopefully the govt will do the right thing here but these days ya never know.
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 16, 2007 11:32 pm

Say what you want about O&A but I think that this is a crock. I used to dislike them but I listened a little when I had XM and they, along with Jim Norton, were pretty funny. Either way, they knew what they were getting into when they signed them. Why are they now surprised?? It's pay radio and I'm sure that none of their listeners were offended. I am also sure that they brought on a lot of new subs with their "brand of humor".
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk