interview with DeCosta - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Baltimore Ravens

interview with DeCosta

Moderator: Football Moderators

interview with DeCosta

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:43 am

Ravens24x7 interviewed Eric DeCosta about the situation at CB:

We were very happy with Corey Ivy last year and what he did for us as a nickel. Samari, I hear this all the time – he can’t play, he struggled. I would encourage fans who really want to put dirt on Samari to really find out what went wrong on some of those plays. I consider myself to be very well schooled in defensive back play, I don’t even know half the time who is at fault or why this and that happened. It’s appearance versus reality. The point I want to make is not all the time when you see a player get beat or the ball go over his head should you assume that is his mistake especially in the secondary. If you’ve got one guy thinking the coverage is something and another guy thinking it’s something else or both guys think the coverage is this but one guy is looking in the backfield instead of covering deep half a player gets hung out to dry.

I think we have a great stable of corners: Chris, Samari, David, Derrick and Ronnie and Evan Ogelsby. I think all of those players are NFL players. We love our young corners. Ozzie says, and I believe it, “players get better.” They get to our level. They learn, they get faster and smarter. So we expect Derrick, David, Ronnie and Evan to become that much better. We were very intrigued last year when we see David and Derrick and Ronnie in practice. You see we have the benefit of being at practice every day and seeing how guys play. A fan may see that Derrick Martin or David Pittman or Ronnie Prude is inactive and may question that and get frustrated.

We have a chance to see David Pittman cover Derrick Mason in practice or Demetrius Williams go up against Derrick Martin. We see how those players can play in those types of situations. And again, because of the 45 man roster and all that that entails, we have situations when good players have to remain inactive on game day. I think when [those guys] get a chance to play they will play well. We saw Ronnie do some good things and Derrick Martin play well for us on special teams. I think that Pittman is the one guy who really didn’t contribute much and that’s more of an indication of his immaturity as a person more so than any indication of his ability as a player. I think coming out of a small school and everything that entails, it’s a big jump. In terms of physical ability with David Pittman, he has the ability to be a starter in the league. We don’t have another player on our team right now who can cover Derrick Mason or Mark Clayton like David Pittman. When he gets the chance, if he takes that next step, if he prepares like a pro, I think he is going to be a significant player for the Baltimore Ravens.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baltimore Ravens