Inmate orders pizza for homeless before his execution - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Inmate orders pizza for homeless before his execution

Moderator: Football Moderators

Inmate orders pizza for homeless before his execution

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Executed man's last request honored -- pizza for homeless

May 10, 2007

By Ashley Fantz
CNN

(CNN) -- Hundreds of homeless people in Nashville, Tennessee, ate well Wednesday evening -- all in the name of a man who the state put to death just hours earlier.

Philip Workman, 53, requested that his final meal be a vegetarian pizza donated to any homeless person located near Riverbend Maximum Security Institution.

He was executed there at 2 a.m. ET Wednesday. (Watch witnesses describe his last moments )

But prison officials refused to honor his request, saying that they do not donate to charities.

That apparently upset a few people willing to pay for and deliver a lot of pies themselves.

Homeless shelters across Nashville were inundated with donated pizzas all Wednesday. (Watch homeless feast on piles of pizza )

"I was like, 'Wow, Jesus!' " said Marvin Champion, an employee of Nashville's Rescue Mission, which provides overnight shelter, food and assistance to more than 800 homeless people a night.

"I used to be homeless, so I know how rough it gets. I seen some bad times -- not having enough food, the cupboards are bare. But we got pizza to feed enough people for awhile," Champion said.

"This really shows the people here that someone out there thought of them."

$1,200 worth of pies
Donna Spangler heard about Workman's request and immediately called her friends. They all pitched in for the $1,200 bill to buy 150 pizzas, which they sent to the Rescue Mission.

"Philip Workman was trying to do a good deed and no one would help him," said the 55-year-old who recruited a co-worker to help her make the massive delivery Wednesday evening.

"I knew my husband would have a heart attack -- I put some of it on the credit card. But I thought we'll find a way to pay for them later," she said. "I just felt like I had to do something positive."

Spangler wasn't the only person to place an order in Workman's name.

The president of the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals read a news story about the prison denying the inmate's last request and ordered 15 veggie pizzas sent to the Rescue Mission Wednesday morning.

"Workman's act was selfless, and kindness to all living beings is a virtue," said PETA President Ingrid Newkirk.

Not far away, 17 pizzas arrived at Nashville's Oasis Center, a shelter that helps about 260 teenagers in crisis. By 9 p.m. ET, more pizzas had arrived, said executive director Hal Cato.

"We talked to the kids and they understand what this is tied to and they know that this man [Workman] wanted to do something to point out the problems of homelessness."

When Workman robbed a Wendy's in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1981, he was a strung-out cocaine addict looking for a way to pay for his next high, he has said.

He was homeless at the time. Workman was convicted of shooting and killing Memphis Police Lt. Ronald Oliver during the robbery.

Many of the pizzas ordered in Workman's name were delivered anonymously, but the first 17 at Oasis Center came from a Minneapolis, Minnesota, radio station that devoted much of its morning show time talking about Workman's request.

"They were upset about it," said Cato.

He plans to call other homeless shelters in Nashville Thursday and share the pies. "They should be able to benefit from this, too," he said.

Cliff Tredway, the director of public relations for the Rescue Mission, said it's more than pizzas that helped that shelter.

"It's the story of a guy whose execution translated into a generous act," he said. "It's people donating to other people they don't know.

"It's about a group of people who society often writes off getting a pizza party today."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 pm

Does anyone else find it ironic/hypocritical that PETA ordered vegetarian pizzas although cheese, a critical pizza component, is an animal product and thus not PETA-friendly?
Anybody?
Anybody?
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 15, 2007 8:35 pm

Atog wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic/hypocritical that PETA ordered vegetarian pizzas although cheese, a critical pizza component, is an animal product and thus not PETA-friendly?
Anybody?
Anybody?

Time to ressurect this one (March 15 is Eat An Animal For PETA Day):

stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Wow thats crazy.

Do you realize out of the 40 plus threads in the first page you started 16 of them. 8-o :-b ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Metroid wrote:Wow thats crazy.

Do you realize out of the 40 plus threads in the first page you started 16 of them. 8-o :-b ;-D

I NEED A LIFE!!!

...or least for football season to start!!!
stomperrob

Postby vitalogist » Tue May 15, 2007 8:49 pm

cool story.
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Cool story, good to know there are still some good people out there.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moonhead » Tue May 15, 2007 9:05 pm

Atog wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic/hypocritical that PETA ordered vegetarian pizzas although cheese, a critical pizza component, is an animal product and thus not PETA-friendly?
Anybody?
Anybody?

all they want is for you to treat the animals ethically. they're not necessarily vegan.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:10 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Cool story, good to know there are still some good people out there.

Well he did kill an officer ;-7 Oh I guess you mean the people who paid for it

But props to him for doing a good thing before he was excecuted, I'd assume most people go out with a "screw the world'' attitude. And props to the people who carried out his wish
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Good to see a man do a good thing on his way out.

I just hope it doesn't turn into, "See! See! Capitol punishment kills good people!" Please.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk