No More Secrets At The Amsterdam Airport - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

No More Secrets At The Amsterdam Airport

Moderator: Football Moderators

No More Secrets At The Amsterdam Airport

Postby knapplc » Wed May 16, 2007 8:00 am

Amsterdam airport's new 'X-ray' security scan reveals all

AMSTERDAM (AFP) - Amsterdam's Schiphol airport Tuesday introduced a new security scan that sees through clothes, the first airport in the world to use the system, officials said.

The scan outlines body contours, making it easy for security personnel to see if anyone is carrying weapons or smuggling money or drugs.

Airport authorities said the scan was quicker and better than body searches.

To ensure privacy, the images from the scan are analysed by a security attendant in a separate room. The face of the person is also blurred to avoid recognition.

Schiphol put two such scanning machines into operation Tuesday and another 15 are set to follow. For the present, passengers can choose between the body scan or regular controls, which sometimes include being frisked.

Oh yeah. I'm sure this won't be abused. ;-7

I'm betting most celebrities will be avoiding this airport after this becomes standard.

I also like how they're going to ensure privacy by having the analysis done in a separate room. You KNOW they're going to tip each other off if it's a cute girl or something, and that'll happen more and more when the imagery of these things becomes cleaner.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Wed May 16, 2007 8:11 am

that's awfully cynical for you knapp... :-b
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Wed May 16, 2007 8:13 am

moonhead wrote:that's awfully cynical for you knapp... :-b

Cynical or realistic? The older I get the more cynical I become, I know that.

I'm just a crabby old fart anymore. I used to be a barrel of laughs.

I think it all started last summer when I traveled back from Europe via the Amsterdam airport.... :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed May 16, 2007 8:14 am

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:that's awfully cynical for you knapp... :-b

Cynical or realistic? The older I get the more cynical I become, I know that.

I'm just a crabby old fart anymore. I used to be a barrel of laughs.

I think it all started last summer when I traveled back from Europe via the Amsterdam airport.... :-b

:shrugs: po-tay-toe po-tah-toe
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: No More Secrets At The Amsterdam Airport

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed May 16, 2007 8:30 am

knapplc wrote:
Oh yeah. I'm sure this won't be abused. ;-7

I'm betting most celebrities will be avoiding this airport after this becomes standard.

I also like how they're going to ensure privacy by having the analysis done in a separate room. You KNOW they're going to tip each other off if it's a cute girl or something, and that'll happen more and more when the imagery of these things becomes cleaner.

Last time I saw an article about this technology, the images were cleaner than that. They were approaching indecency for under 18s if you know what I mean. I don't think its a matter of technology, but it more appears to be a matter of maybe they aren't using what's available out there on purpose. Anyway, I have no idea, but I do know that personally, I wouldn't have any problem with this. Better to get x-rayed than frisked IMO. O:-)

I can see definite legal implications, complaints, and problems with this though. Should definitely be approached with caution IMO.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 16, 2007 9:01 am

The scan outlines body contours, making it easy for security personnel to see if anyone is carrying weapons or smuggling money or drugs.

Very cool - but I thought that drugs were legal in Amsterdam. Or at least that the cops were not allowed to search you for drugs. :-?

I remember overhearing this discussion b/w TheBalancedMan and Flux just yesterday on the subject

Flux: So, tell me again about the hashbars in Amsterdam.
TBM: Okay, what you wanna know?
Flux: Hash is legal there right?
TBM: Yeah, it's legal, but it ain't a hundred percent legal. I mean, you can't walk into a restaurant, roll a joint and start puffin' away. You're only supposed to smoke in your home or certain designated places.
Flux: And those are hashbars?
TBM: It breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause - get a load of this - if you get stopped by the cops in amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in amsterdam don't have.
Flux: [Laughing] I'm going, that's all there is too it, I'm just going
TBM: Yeah baby, you'd digg it the most.

:-?
I wonder what TBM has to say about this?

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: No More Secrets At The Amsterdam Airport

Postby dream_017 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:34 am

knapplc wrote:The face of the person is also blurred to avoid recognition.

OK, so things can still be smuggled through your mouth :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby CC » Wed May 16, 2007 9:41 am

Oh hell no, these people aren't going to get a look at CC's merchandise for free, you gotta pay to see the goods.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 am

How many are going to do hip thrusts at the scanner the next time you're in Amsterdam? <raises hand>
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Atog » Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 pm

I'm sure that some people have issues with privacy, but it's not that big of an issue for me personally. I mean, from that picture it doesn't look ridiculously graphic.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk