Cure for Baldness? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Cure for Baldness?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cure for Baldness?

Postby knapplc » Thu May 17, 2007 7:22 am

I've always figured I'd lose my hair at some point in my life - my grandfather was bald and two of my three uncles are bald, so I figured even though I have a lot of hair now it was only a matter of time. When I did lose my hair I was always just going to cut it short and have done with it - no implants, no paint, just bald.

But maybe I won't have to:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Mice with deep skin wounds can grow new hair, scientists said on Wednesday in a finding that offers hope for a baldness remedy for humans.

The mice regenerated hair at the site of the wound via molecular processes similar to those used in embryonic development, according to the research, published in the journal Nature.

The findings show mammals possess greater regenerative abilities than commonly believed. While some amphibians can regenerate limbs and some reptiles can regenerate tails, regeneration in mammals is far more limited.

Dr. George Cotsarelis, a dermatology professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia who led the study, said the findings dispel the dogma that hair loss is permanent in people and other mammals, and that once they are lost new hair follicles cannot grow.

Cotsarelis said the findings could pave the way for remedies for male-pattern baldness and other types of hair-loss. He said the idea would be to apply compounds to get epidermal cells to turn into hair follicles.

The regenerated follicles functioned normally, cycling through the various stages of hair growth, and the hair was indistinguishable from neighboring hair with a key exception -- it lacked pigmentation and was white.

The otherwise brown-haired mice had patches of white hair marking the site of the wound.

Cotsarelis said the white-hair issue may not materialize in any baldness remedy in people because the human pigmentation system differs from that in mice.

The researchers made relatively large wounds on the backs of adult mice, and found that if a wound reached a certain size new hairs formed at its center, with the skin undergoing changes mimicking stages of embryonic hair-follicle development.

Dormant embryonic molecular pathways were activated, sending stem cells -- master cells able to transform into other cell types -- to the damaged skin.

The stem cells that gave rise to the regenerated follicles were not stem cells usually associated with hair-follicle development.

"They're actually coming from epidermal cells that don't normally make hair follicles. So they're somehow reprogrammed and told to make a follicle," Cotsarelis said.

The researchers also found a way to amplify the natural regeneration process, causing mice to grow twice as many new hairs by giving the skin a specific molecular signal.

Cotsarelis is involved with Follica Inc., a privately held start-up company that has licensed the patent on the process from the University of Pennsylvania. He said it probably would be more than five years before a treatment was possible.

Cotsarelis also envisioned treating wounds in a way that would leave skin with hair follicles, sweat glands and other normal attributes that would be functionally and cosmetically much better than a scar.

Dr. Cheng-Ming Chuong, a professor of pathology at the University of Southern California who was not involved in the study, said it proved the principle that hair can regenerate from adult skin, but cautioned that human skin differs from mouse skin.

"Repair and regeneration appear to be in competition," Chuong said by e-mail.

"Since fast-closing wounds help the survival of wild animals, repair often dominates regeneration. In the practice of medicine, physicians are trained to close wounds as soon as possible, thus leaving not enough time for regeneration to occur."
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cure for Baldness?

Postby treat24 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:25 am

knapplc wrote:I've always figured I'd lose my hair at some point in my life - my grandfather was bald and two of my three uncles are bald, so I figured even though I have a lot of hair now it was only a matter of time. When I did lose my hair I was always just going to cut it short and have done with it - no implants, no paint, just bald.

male hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family... just so you're not looking at the wrong uncles and grandparents...

My hair has thinned a little but nothing that noticeable yet... nice article, I'm hoping IF I ever lose my hair there will be something 100% effective... with no side effects :) but I'll prolly just keep it like I do... I keep my hair pretty shaved down most of the time. Between my job which is very labor intensive, and working out everyday... Hair is just too hot...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Thu May 17, 2007 7:28 am

treat24 wrote:
knapplc wrote:I've always figured I'd lose my hair at some point in my life - my grandfather was bald and two of my three uncles are bald, so I figured even though I have a lot of hair now it was only a matter of time. When I did lose my hair I was always just going to cut it short and have done with it - no implants, no paint, just bald.

male hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family... just so you're not looking at the wrong uncles and grandparents...

My hair has thinned a little but nothing that noticeable yet... nice article, I'm hoping IF I ever lose my hair there will be something 100% effective... with no side effects :) but I'll prolly just keep it like I do... I keep my hair pretty shaved down most of the time. Between my job which is very labor intensive, and working out everyday... Hair is just too hot...

Yep - those are my mom's dad and brothers. I should have mentioned that because I know that.

I guess one more thing to consider would be the cost of the treatment, because I honestly don't think bald men look bad at all. Look at Patrick Stewart, Michael Jordan, Bruce Willis, etc. I have two good friends who are in their late thirties and both are bald and shave what's left, and they look great. So if I do lose my hair, unless this is a pretty inexpensive "cure," I'm going bald.

I'm married and my wife loves me. What do I have to worry about? :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 17, 2007 7:29 am

Everyone in my family still has all their hair, however if you're over 30 you're likely gray already. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:30 am

knapplc wrote:
treat24 wrote:

Yep - those are my mom's dad and brothers. I should have mentioned that because I know that.

I guess one more thing to consider would be the cost of the treatment, because I honestly don't think bald men look bad at all. Look at Patrick Stewart, Michael Jordan, Bruce Willis, etc. I have two good friends who are in their late thirties and both are bald and shave what's left, and they look great. So if I do lose my hair, unless this is a pretty inexpensive "cure," I'm going bald.

I'm married and my wife loves me. What do I have to worry about? :-b

my wife HATES it... I had nice styled hair all the time our first 5-10 years... now I shave it (to pretty much stubble) because it gets too hot with my lifestyle... so if I do go bald, she might get upset... but she can deal with it... for better or worse right? :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:10 am

Anything like this

and yes it was started by....knapp :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby treat24 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 am

dream_017 wrote:Anything like this

i swear, every post you make contains a link to another thread! :-b :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:15 am

treat24 wrote:

i swear, every post you make contains a link to another thread! :-b :-b

Not every one ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu May 17, 2007 9:16 am

If you read that thread you'd realize that this is a different article, different breakthrough, different researchers and a different country entirely.

What's the point of searching up old threads all the time? I just don't get the joke, I guess? :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:25 am

knapplc wrote:What's the point of searching up old threads all the time? I just don't get the joke, I guess? :-?

Should we all just start new theads anytime we have something to say. Whether or not it is related in another thread :-? There is not a joke, some people have already talked about what they would do if they were bald. Why do I have to post it again when you can read it in another thread.

I know it was a differnt article, but it will lead to the same discussion.

Why couldn't it have been posted in that thread. As an update or new finding.

The point of searching for old threads? The reason I look up threads and post them when they are already available is to show that the information is already available on this site or answered. Maybe we should just take the search feature off ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Next

Return to General Talk